The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AP ideas for the Zig Zag Card (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Here are some new thoughts on an old trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltQy1IX......aixedsgg

The actual trick is just $4.68: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17541

I know some magicians, like my friend Justin Flom, always give out some small gift to the person who hired them for a gig....I think this trick could be perfect for that, in that it's super-cheap, and easy to do. And the person you give it to will definitely keep it around and show it to others...and then--thought goes--remember you well when it's time to hire somebody for the next gig.

But also, if you want to perform the Zig Zag Card yourself, I have some ideas at the end of the video to make the trick better, because as is, yeah, it's not stellar. Small changes!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've never owned this prop. And I have to say, it really fooled me the first few times I watched it! Then I slapped my head. Nice prop. Love your ideas. Especially writing on it with a Sharpie. Brilliant.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Yep. Same here.
Was badly fooled the first few times.
And I also really like your ideas and the style of your videos.
Well done!

Best,
LeXa
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Greek
I really like the last idea with the signed signature. Great stuff.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, Lexa wrote:
Yep. Same here.
Was badly fooled the first few times.
And I also really like your ideas and the style of your videos.
Well done!

Best,
LeXa

Thanks LeXa! Yeah, I had this trick as kid, but I guess if I didn't it would probably fool me too. Glad you're enjoying the videos!
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, Cameron Francis wrote:
I've never owned this prop. And I have to say, it really fooled me the first few times I watched it! Then I slapped my head. Nice prop. Love your ideas. Especially writing on it with a Sharpie. Brilliant.

Why thank you, sir.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, The Greek wrote:

Just remember, you only have 1 chance to get that signature on the top part right.... Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have an idea for this so I'm curious what colors the prop is available in?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Rick,

Awesome! I really like thinking of new ways to use and old, simple, or what some might think of as a throwaway effect.

I think the little device would also lend itself well to an effect where you appear to put a regular card in and take out a permanently gaffed card to hand out as a souvenir. Maybe Penguin would consider selling a gaff deck especially for the zig zag card, a gaff card that is divided in three parts, with different segments.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Another idea for a DIY gaff is to cut out the center rectangle of the card, put a regular card into the device, take it out, and then switch it for the gaff card to hand out. You could have them see you put the regular card into an envelope, seal it, and have them take it home with them. When they open the envelope, the center of the card is gone. Perhaps in its place is your business card or contact information.
KJ
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:

Just remember, you only have 1 chance to get that signature on the top part right.... Smile

But the good news is that we're not dealing with a $500.00 prop, now that would be nerve-wracking.

Hey Rick, I forgot to mention a couple posts back that I really enjoy your vids. I think it is a GREAT idea of keeping them short and sweet and then stringing several together. You get folks to watch things that they wouldn't ordinarily watch because they may mistakenly think they have no interest in a particular item, but then they watch your vid and next they're thinking "wow, maybe I could somehow work an Oreo cookie into my set, hmmm" and "how many marshmallows could I carry in my front pocket before it starts to look like I am really happy to see you?".

These over produced magic demos that have 90 seconds of motion graphics before you even know the name of the trick being demoed are really missing the boat. You've already demoed 10 different uses with the prop in that same 90 seconds. And you're even up front about angles and camera only tricks. Plus, you often have some really clever ideas not included with the trick itself. You must be making Penguin a ton of money. Hope you were able to negotiate a good contract with them! Keep up the good work!!!
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
I like the idea of handing them out. It is a cheap trick, and if you are doing a gig and making even 100, this is really not that expensive as a give away, especially for lets say a Birthday. The writing on the gimmick is great to, and you could pimp it up with some printed stickers also.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2014, chriswiehl wrote:
I like the idea of handing them out. It is a cheap trick, and if you are doing a gig and making even 100, this is really not that expensive as a give away, especially for lets say a Birthday. The writing on the gimmick is great to, and you could pimp it up with some printed stickers also.

Just buy this ( Ultimate Card Insertion by Brian Kennedy ) You can make you own out of some cheep deck of cards. Smile
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, videoman wrote:
I have an idea for this so I'm curious what colors the prop is available in?

The one I did is just White, but I think we sell others that have different colors, too...
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:

But the good news is that we're not dealing with a $500.00 prop, now that would be nerve-wracking.

Hey Rick, I forgot to mention a couple posts back that I really enjoy your vids. I think it is a GREAT idea of keeping them short and sweet and then stringing several together. You get folks to watch things that they wouldn't ordinarily watch because they may mistakenly think they have no interest in a particular item, but then they watch your vid and next they're thinking "wow, maybe I could somehow work an Oreo cookie into my set, hmmm" and "how many marshmallows could I carry in my front pocket before it starts to look like I am really happy to see you?".

These over produced magic demos that have 90 seconds of motion graphics before you even know the name of the trick being demoed are really missing the boat. You've already demoed 10 different uses with the prop in that same 90 seconds. And you're even up front about angles and camera only tricks. Plus, you often have some really clever ideas not included with the trick itself. You must be making Penguin a ton of money. Hope you were able to negotiate a good contract with them! Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks VideoMan!

Yeah, I hear what you're saying about having to wait 2 min before you see any magic. I hate that. I want to see magic right away. I actually have a high tolerance for the over-produced stuff, but what I don't like is 5 minute trailers that have 3 seconds of magic. Often (but not always) that's a sign that the trick itself isn't great. With a good trick, like Bizzaro's Overstuft, you can see the magic lots during the trailer. Although, with some tricks that are procedural (Thetalia, Binary Code), it's okay not to put the trick in the trailer at all...as long as 1) you keep the trailer SHORT, and 2) stay honest about everything. Then people can look at the performer and the pitch and judge merit and reputability from that.

The point is, thank you for your thoughts and kind words. Smile

-Ricky
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Good thinking there Rick ...I may just dig out mine from the back of the drawer (been there yrs)!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
It's funny, I had all sorts of magic sets when I was a kid so I'm seen most of the popular dealer items. But there are some that I am unaware of. Like this. Then I remember... I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's. There's probably a lot of stuff that came out after that period which I had no exposure to.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
IpswichRich
View Profile
New user
MA
24 Posts

Profile of IpswichRich
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Here are some new thoughts on an old trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltQy1IX......aixedsgg

The actual trick is just $4.68: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17541

I know some magicians, like my friend Justin Flom, always give out some small gift to the person who hired them for a gig....I think this trick could be perfect for that, in that it's super-cheap, and easy to do. And the person you give it to will definitely keep it around and show it to others...and then--thought goes--remember you well when it's time to hire somebody for the next gig.

But also, if you want to perform the Zig Zag Card yourself, I have some ideas at the end of the video to make the trick better, because as is, yeah, it's not stellar. Small changes!

Yes this is a real fooler...Your added ideas make it a killer. Thank you for sharing. Hope you don't mind if I use them?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
The original Mike Shelley Zig Zag Card was black and made of thick cardboard. I still have one that I bought back in the 80's, I believe.

I also have one that's made of wood. I bought it here on the Café. The seller said it was made by George Robinson at Collector's Workshop and Mike Shelley.

This is a really cool trick - not that I do it very often. The signatures are a great touch.

Robert
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's appropriate for a giveaway. When I first saw the zig zag card it was made of wood and quite expensive, so the secret remained a secret and I always thought of it as a really special piece of magic. Now it's under $5 but it's still a great method and still mostly unknown to the general public. Giving it away reduces it's value.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AP ideas for the Zig Zag Card (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL