The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (263 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..37~38~39~40~41..45~46~47 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Haha that made me chuckle Phil.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Haha I'm gonna put a library stamp and docket on mine
I love post its Smile
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I'm decorating mine with glitter and sequins for that magical look.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I have #1 of Mike Kemper's Brain Bracking http://www.lybrary.com/brain-bracking-p-526435.html
Lakewood, Ohio
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2014, j100taylor wrote:
I have #1 of Mike Kemper's Brain Bracking http://www.lybrary.com/brain-bracking-p-526435.html

Oh goodness... Hahaha
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Imitation is the sincerest form of battery.
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
Quote:

Ahahah you need some steel balls to put out this
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, you need certainly... putting out something with this title. Method wise it is just a quite bold approach, but not really bad... You can work on it Smile There are some great mentalists (I just think of my friend Colin McLeod) who created wonderful routines around this ploy Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just downloaded it out of curiosity - another few dollars I should have kept :-$
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

Mentalism truly has become the domain of snake oil salesmen in the last fifteen years or so. I blame Luke Jermay. He was the first to have the nerve to charge money for a straight IS effect, "sexed up" in the ad as an ultra clean breakthrough in method. Thank goodness we still have people like Atlas who put years of thought, trial and error and testing into their creations.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
I don't know if LJ was the first to overcharge for IS, but he certainly wasnt the first mentalist or magician to overcharge. Rip offs have happened in magic for decades, before Luke and some on here were even born. I've found that the more I know, the less I get ripped off.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Roylan, I didn't mention overcharging. I think "creators" have got a nerve to charge anything at all for a single, blatant IS effect.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Roylan, I didn't mention overcharging. I think "creators" have got a nerve to charge anything at all for a single, blatant IS effect.

Then we disagree. I think creators can charge for a single, blatant (insert the technique/method) effect IF the effect is good enough.

I agree that Atlas is professional in his products and contacts. For example I was more than happy with his Crusade. However, this uses a standard, well known, in the public domain method. One single, blatant (not mentioned here) method. I was certain I knew what the method was BUT I wanted the presentation. Which is why I'm happy with the effect and purchase. IS is a method like any other and its the full routine, developed in the real world, with all its nuances, that makes something a rip off or not. Not the use of a singe method.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I didn't mention charging for blatant effects, I mentioned charging for blatant IS effects. You cannot compare the method in The Crusade to IS. The Crusade is a carefully scripted performance piece which uses an existing method to create a moment of wonder for the participants and spectators. Br*** B******g is a straightforward, blatant IS effect which produces no moment of wonder for the participant at all. Same as The *th M*******e. Neither even attempts to create a minor effect for the participant to balance the major effect for the audience. When the method for such "creations" is IS, not only do you have a nerve to charge for the "effect", in my opinion you haven't actually created an effect at all.

Or are you seriously suggesting that if you had paid $200 for Train Tracking and discovered that the participant had to be an IS, you would have been happy? After all, the "effect" is just as strong to any spectators, no?
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Im not comparing The Crusade to IS. The point I'm making is that charging for an IS, in and of itself, does not automatically make it a rip off. You think it does. I think it doesn't. We know each others opinions and both are valid.

Please it's that I'm not defending B@@@@ B@@@@@@@. It's the principle, not the specific, that I'm referring to.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is not that I am defending BB, but there is more than IS... While I agree that BB the way it is presented is rather weak I would try to see its construction on an abstract level. Then I feel differently. If you see what Colin McLeod has done with an ID in combination with a very well executed D... Ploy you might see some IS applications with different eyes. What I really dislike about BB is the missing discussion about a proper use of time tested methods. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Rolyan wrote:
Im not comparing The Crusade to IS. The point I'm making is that charging for an IS, in and of itself, does not automatically make it a rip off. You think it does. I think it doesn't. We know each others opinions and both are valid.

Please it's that I'm not defending B@@@@ B@@@@@@@. It's the principle, not the specific, that I'm referring to.

Last sentence should have read...

Please Note: it's not that I'm defending....etc.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
This thread has certainly wandered a bit. Anyone mind if I contribute a hyperactive bunny?
Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
.....let the price gouging begin !!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=78
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I wouldn't sell my copy at any price.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (263 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..37~38~39~40~41..45~46~47 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL