The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Futuristic Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
160 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
How about some ideas of what magic might be like in the age of Star Trek.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1091 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I would think that the major issue there would be convincing the audience that it isn't all done with holograms. That done, I doubt the tricks would be any different from how they've been for hundreds of years. You can still use tricks from Hocus Pocus Jr and impress. There's been a lot more done since then, but the basics are all basics for a reason.

-Patrick
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
160 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
It occurred to me that Because scientific "miracles" would be so pervasive, in the future, people might appreciate magic more as a historical entertainment.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5736 Posts

Profile of motown
Check out the magic of Marco Tempest a Swiss magician.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
lifeofwonder
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of lifeofwonder
I've always believed that as magic evolves with technology, we need to find new effects. Eg. When the light bulb was invented, a great trick was to then produce a light bulb that lit without any apparent wiring or electrical cord. Do a trick like that now and everyone will assume it's batteries.

In the future, levitation tricks will seem less interesting with audience members thinking it's magnets, a mini AR drone or something electrical.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
104 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
But mind reading... So long as people don't start putting google glass nano-chips into their brains, we should be good for another few hundred years at least.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of mndude
They'll probably have to perform in the nude to prove they're not using any gadgets.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
442 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Franz Harary is the way to go! Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19997 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jay Scott Berry, performed in futuristic outfit way back when. Don't know if he still does the same act, but looking around would not hurt to give you some ideas. Sort of a Flash Gordon outfit, if you know who that is.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
MagicSA
View Profile
New user
South Africa
67 Posts

Profile of MagicSA
What an interesting conversation! I also think audiences will see s hologram in every illusion. But before we get there, holograms will be uncommon and used and magical. Just my prediction.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
710 Posts

Profile of Jerry
There all kinds of items you could present in a Futuristic magic act.

A assembled a robot comes to life.
Have someone transported (energized).
Cut some one in half with a "laser".
A bug eyed monster escapes from in cell after being materialized from what appeared to be an empty container.

Your stage setting could be the flight deck of a space ship or a laboratory. Most of what I mentioned above has already been done.

Just some thoughts.
Rook
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix
460 Posts

Profile of Rook
I couldn't resist thinking of a humorous bit with an element of perceived danger for the participant (e.g., a futuristic version of a visible sawing in half), with tan audience member wearing a red shirt.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
710 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Magic Inc has a booklet called "Atomic Magic". I think this fits perfectly.
Check it out.

http://www.magicinc.net/atomicmagic.aspx

Looks like a fun read and you never know?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7437 Posts

Profile of funsway
Since neurobiology is finding that human decision making and memory shaping more closely resemble magic than reason,
there is no reason that conjuring will not be popular in the future.

It isn't about props and gimmicks -- it is about creating an "experience of real magic" whatever that happens to mean to the observer.

Of course, humans could evolve beyond the limits of man's enchantment with boredom, but we seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Besides, when we meet alien races we will try and kill them -- so any Star Trek scenario will never happen.

Ever consider that the reason we don't find other life forms is that they don't want US to find them.
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
160 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Hey Funsway: Stephen Hawking, the physicist, also said that be careful what you ask for. To paraphrase, the intelligent life we seek to find may not be all warm and fuzzy towards us.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1095 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I've used light sabers and electroluminescent wires and tapes for stage magic and illusions, to create a modern/futuristic look.
Magically,

John
www.johntsheets.com

Inventor of the "Quantum Bender" line, as well as many other creations for the professional performer.

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
104 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
Franz Harary is the way to go! Smile

I actually saw his show in Macau, he did a spaceship production on the stage, very cool.
Djin
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Djin
I think that mentalism, mental tricks and bizarre magic will thrive as technology rises. Audiences have long looked at performances with an eye toward explaining the tricks as technology. People look for the string or the magnet or the hologram. Mentalism strikes (some) viewers as "real" magic and that's why I think it's so popular today. I believe that as technology increases, audiences will thirst for magic that is or appears to be non-technological. A hologram act will be a tough sell, but mind reading tricks will always leave them wondering "how did you do THAT?!?"
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
401 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Star Trek: Next Generation Season 4 Episode 13 "Devil's Due"
May confront this very question.
the crew of the Enterprise confront an individual claiming to be Ardra, a mythological entity ...... at first the Enterprise is unable to explain any of her "tricks" and she has the local planet believing she is doing it all by magical ability alone..... the local people of the planet believe this to be true because of a very old myth that marks the god's return to the planet and the exact signs of the events that would have taken place on her arrival.

She vanishes, reappears in a new spot(transportation) she can move objects; control inert things (Telekinesis) she convinced the planet she brought about a long period of peace, (mentalism)
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
I joked to a mentalist friend of mine that it may be necessary to set off an emp at the beginning of the performance to preclude the use of any electronic assistance...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Futuristic Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL