The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gumball Illusion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicRhett
View Profile
New user
Cumberland, MD
54 Posts

Profile of MagicRhett
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any plans to build a gumball machine illusion. I would really like to make a custom made prop. And I also wanted to make sure it is in public domain to build. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To my knowledge there is no workshop plans for this modern illusionette to the magic community. It is not in public domain, for the version's that are on the market. I believe there are at least 3 if not more versions. They all work differently.

As far as public domain, if you make one from scratch all being your own invention and workings, then public domain does not enter into it all. Anyone is free to make anything they want as long as it is not an exact copy of someone else's work and invention.

Of course to do that you invest much more then the current prices of the models currently available. When you boil down the effect, it is just a finger ring to plastic box. I don't think this version is any stronger then many "Finger Ring to" tricks. What would make this an awesome trick is if it was done with a gumball machine in a retail store where these use to be found. So many people today, don't know that there was such a thing as a gumball machine setting by the entrances at Grocery Stores. Really, it is an illusion past it's believability factor, as I see it.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Bill;

My version of the gumball machine uses the exact same gumball machine used in thousands of retail stores; kids can't tell it's a gimmicked machine.

PM me if you have any questions

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
MagicRhett, since you have expressed a concern for ethics (kudos!), you may want to contact the originator of this effect and discuss your ideas with him.

http://www.amazingshows.com/Amazing_Shows/Products.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
MagicRhett, since you have expressed a concern for ethics (kudos!), you may want to contact the originator of this effect and discuss your ideas with him.

http://www.amazingshows.com/Amazing_Shows/Products.html

Ray Lum also claims to be the originator of the gumball machine illusion

http://www.themagicofraylum.com/lumball.htm
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I saw Joe win the Gold Cups with his at IBM in Nashville, 1987. I doubt it was his first rodeo, but that's the earliest I saw it. If there is a debate, that's between him and Ray. I was commending the OP for being concerned about rights, etc.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicRhett
View Profile
New user
Cumberland, MD
54 Posts

Profile of MagicRhett
Michael, Thanks for the info. I will defiantly be contacting the creator to see if I can figure this out. Thanks again.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
May I know who built this Gumball Maching sold by Hocus Pocus ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......enfCTLWg

It is selling for $599 on Hocus Pocus. Is this built by Joe? I know Ray Lum's version is $1500.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gumball Illusion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL