We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "What About the Fish?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2400 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I just ordered from Barry Mitchell the new "What About the Fish?" six card repeat created by Jay Rumple. I saw last week "Vince Charming" do the six card repeat at a family show to good response (Vince is also an excellent juggler and works at Pittsburgh's only brick and mortar magic shop).

This looks like an excellent new/specifically designed for Gospel magic trick- the type that I really enjoy using- my guess it was demonstrated at the FCM convention earlier this month. This was the first time I saw it yesterday online on Barry's site- and I thought- Yes!- I can use that!- as 98% of my programs nowadays are either for VBS or Sunday School type audiences. Love it already and it has not even been delivered yet. Reasonably priced too.

I agree with MagicBob that when doing Gospel magic for a basically secular audience (such as in India or in an outdoor festival setting, etc.)- one has to establish oneself first as a good performer before going straight into a Gospel effect. This is Andre' Kole's "right to be heard" approach.

However, I do "Gospel magic" every Sunday for children's Sunday School at my church (Lighthouse Community Church in Kalamazoo), so I can go straight into a Gospel effect such as "What About the Fish?" with no prior "set up" needed. Thanks Barry and Jay for making this effect for specific Gospel use available- well worth the price to have this large card set all printed up and ready to go. Smile www.BarryMitchell.com
BarryMitchellMagic
View Profile
V.I.P.
47 Posts

Profile of BarryMitchellMagic
Thanks Roger. It really is beautifully made and Jay did a great job. I'm shipping more out today.
BarryMitchellMagic
View Profile
V.I.P.
47 Posts

Profile of BarryMitchellMagic
Here's the actual link for others interested in seeing the video.
http://www.barrymitchellproducts.com/sto......the_fish
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
The Bay Area of California
2726 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Kalamazoo!!!
The children's magic party and magic class, where

Howie Didit performs the tricks and then teaches the kids "Howie Didit".

Ventriloquist & Children’s Magician. My lips are not moving and there are all kinds of tricks up my sleeves

Creator of the RING-A-Ding Gumball Machine, available through your favorite magic dealer that buys from Murphy’s Magic

The west coast dealer for Jeff Jones's Magic backdrops
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2400 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Got my order today already delivered via Priority Mail. "What About The Fish" is fantastic- comes with an exact sized padded case that protects the oversized cards in your travel stand (and mine is always a big mess, with loose props scratching against each other that probably should not be).

The cards are extremely well printed and visible. AND an instructional DVD was included- I personally learn a new routine much easier from a DVD.

I really do love these very specific type of Gospel magic illustrations which are pretty rare nowadays- they hardly ever come out anymore- this is not just an "application" for some standard effect. Reminds me of Duane Laflin's old "What Color is Your Bible?" card effect (which is no longer available). This newly designed Jsy Rumple Feeding of the Five Thousand Bible story illustration for "What About The Fish?" is really absolutely perfect for Sunday School, VBS or church settings/banquets. A+++++ I do not work for Barry or Jay- I just enjoy passing along a good Gospel magic idea when I see it- hope others on The Magic Café' remember me as well and post when they "find"/discover a similar new trick for FCMers.

I will probably be ordering another set soon just to keep as a back up (MagicBob often will order several sets of his favorite effects so he does not freak out if a part/card gets lost or torn, stained, damaged, etc.- and then the item is no longer for sale when a replacement is needed- which has happened to me before). I know "What About The Fish?" will be in all my future church programs- packs small- but can be done even in a large setting. "You can share how God will not only meet our needs when all seems impossible but He can far surpass anything we could have hoped for." How true!
stempleton
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of stempleton
While I've not been a fan of "big card" routines (although I have used "Key To The Kingdom") I am considering this for a New Testament-themed program, but with the possibility of using my sealed Crystal Silk Cylinder as a Fish Cylinder for the ending. If I can justify that addition (and the disadvantage of transporting goldfish) it might have the added oomph I'm looking for.
Steve Templeton
www.HimpactIllusion.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2400 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Very simple trick to do/easy to perform (almost self working), the padded pouch that comes with it is part of the effect as well. Does not use rough and smooth (which is good as that particular method fairly quickly wears out, cakes up around humidity, etc.).

This effect is useful for church, Sunday School and VBS settings- as it is a specific Bible story that can also be tied into Barry's message of God meeting our needs (even when seemingly impossible). I used it with handout papers for the kids in my wife's 1st and 2nd graders Sunday School class (the handouts had coloring pictures of the loaves and fishes miracle- those sheets were found in a Bible themed coloring book purchased from the Dollar Tree store for $1).

I do not really see this being used as the only "Gospel" trick in an otherwise normal magic program- that could most likely come off as not part of/kinda odd in the overall flow of a regular magic show. But for what I do (VBS and Sunday School programs), it's absolutely perfect. I love to find pack small, play big and specifically made for Gospel illustrations. I think this is usually stronger than saying something like: "Here are three ropes, they represent the 3 parts of the Trinity", etc.. Of course, sometimes I do this as well (e.g. "this silk or foam ball represents sin")- but having props specifically made for Gospel magic I always prefer.

For example, the "Ten Commandments" paper tear (by John deVries) and sold by Steve Varro/Dock Haley Magic is stronger I believe than just doing a standard center tear effect (first invented and used by Neil Foster at an Abbott's Get-Together) and telling the same story without the Ten Commandments actually printed on the torn and restored paper.

I saw well known children's speaker Bill Sanders (author of many books) do a very large "H-E-L-L"/Cross paper tear a few weeks ago in a filled large auditorium- he did a great job with it including displaying the two thieves on each side of the cross (and angels also using the paper pieces). Was just great to see this extremely old paper tear trick (from at least 40 years ago)being using as part of his overall personal message on the "Rachel" teen who was a Christian killed in the Columbine shootings. Bill has done this powerful presentation in high schools all over the country. www.billspeaks.com
Jeffini
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
47 Posts

Profile of Jeffini
I love the cross paper tear. I learned it out of Duningers Encyclopedia of Magic when I was a kid 45 years ago... So it must go back a long ways before that. I am looking forward to seeing Barry's new trick at KIDabra next week. I will probably buy it there . . . And a lot more if my wife lets me take the debit card.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1230 Posts

Profile of GlenD
This sounds really good, I'm probably going to be picking this up soon myself. I have shared about this miracle/event by making the fish and loaves appear (chick pan, goldfish crackers, & cinnamon toast crunch cereal) but it seems more accurate to share as multiplication happens. I like it.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2400 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I did it in the 1st and 2nd graders Sunday School class: it went over terrific as it is perfect for this type of setting. The kids really had no clue what was going on, I think I kinda fooled myself even. I tied it into the full Bible story which I told, plus combined it with several coloring book handouts on the "feeding of the 5 thousand". Be sure to practice it a several times first to work out any handling glitches- otherwise one can get confused as to what is where (as I found out in the first few times I practiced it). Follow Barry's video instructions exactly as to the handling of the cards, he has the best way nailed down (and it works).
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado Springs, CO
317 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I just ordered it.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Jeffini
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
47 Posts

Profile of Jeffini
I purchased "What about the fish" at Kidabra and have used it in three shows so far. It plays well. Tommy James has added an idea to use a small basket to hold the cards and that makes it better. You can get more info at Barry Mitchell's site.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "What About the Fish?" (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.138944 seconds, requiring 40 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [2] [0] [8] [7] [4] [6] [9]