The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » What got you started? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Hello all,

I wanted to start this thread to see the number off different ways that decided to pick up a deck or coin etc, and start practicing magic.

I was introduced to magic by my grandfather when he showed me a card trick, after I showed an interest in it, he subsequent bought me a copy of Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic.

So that's my story, how about you guys?

Zak
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
A magic set led to YouTube, YouTube led me to relies most stuff on YouTube is crap, that led to Tarbell, and here I am today.
Reality is a real killjoy.
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
A magic set led to YouTube, YouTube led me to relies most stuff on YouTube is crap, that led to Tarbell, and here I am today.

I think learning from the internet is a waste, so many good tricks can be revealed in a matter of minutes, and its taught by people who barely the trick themselves. I'm glad that you saw the light and switched to books, if only many more people would do the same.

Zak
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
Walked into Kanter's magic shop in Philly one day when I was about 12 or 13. Bought a few things like a paddle trick and that was it
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I was attending a conference in Las Vegas in the mid 90's and walked into one of the magic shops in one of the hotels. Bought Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Vol 1 and that got me started.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
When I was a youngster in the 1950's, my dad used to pull a coin from my ear, push a cigarette up his nose, etc. Then I saw a professional magician at a birthday party. That led to me learning magical secrets from library books, and my dad helping me build props so I could perform for family and friends and at school. This was in the early 1960's. It wasn't until the mid-1970's that I discovered a real magic shop, and was turned on to close-up card and coin magic. That's when I started taking sleight of hand seriously.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, ZakKnapper UK wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:

I think learning from the internet is a waste, so many good tricks can be revealed in a matter of minutes, and its taught by people who barely the trick themselves. I'm glad that you saw the light and switched to books, if only many more people would do the same.

Zak

I think learning from the internet is not just the future, it's the now. And that's coming from a book guy.

For me it was triumph. I purchased "Cheek-to-Cheek" (a gimmicked version of the trick) and the next week was shown the classic version we've all come to know and love. I was blown away that something as impossible as that could be accomplished completely through skill. I was hooked. And 14 or so years later, I still am.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
My Dad showing me Out of This World and refusing to explain how he did it. He would do it all the time when I was a kid. I knew I needed to be able to do that.
Lakewood, Ohio
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Seeing Doug Henning perform real close-up on TV.

M
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, j100taylor wrote:
My Dad showing me Out of This World and refusing to explain how he did it. He would do it all the time when I was a kid. I knew I needed to be able to do that.

That was the same with my grandfather, he would never explain the trick, and I was hooked on it.

Zak
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Uncle Ziggy used to pull quarters out of my ear and then either throw them or hang them in the space just below the ceiling. Sometimes he would even throw them invisibly to his son who was on the other side of the room.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I always loved magic stuff but it wasn't until I saw someone doing close up card magic in college that I got hooked. This fellow college student performed the biddle trick, ambitious with a card to mouth ending and finally a small telekinetic trick with a drinking straw. I immediately had to know how the card to mouth trick worked because it fooled me so badly. I started looking at things on YouTube and then bought Royal Road to Card Magic which inspired me to grow. I will never forget the performance of that college kid because he gave me a total sense of wonder, and I loved it.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
One week before my son's thirteenth birthday he said "There is a boy at school that makes magic tricks, for my birthday I just want a couple of decks and a pad".

Apart form that, I also bought an introductory text on card magic, and we started to challenge each other. Now, there are two amateur magicians in the family.
So much to do, so little time . . .
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, alicauchy wrote:
One week before my son's thirteenth birthday he said "There is a boy at school that makes magic tricks, for my birthday I just want a couple of decks and a pad".

Apart form that, I also bought an introductory text on card magic, and we started to challenge each other. Now, there are two amateur magicians in the family.

Well, I guess you got out of the expenses of his birthday didn't you, and it's great to see the magic get passed on.

Zak
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, ZakKnapper UK wrote:
Quote:

Well, I guess you got out of the expenses of his birthday didn't you, and it's great to see the magic get passed on.

Of course, I saved money and gained a pleasant hobby.

The interesting thing is that both (my son and me) started in magic at the same time.
So much to do, so little time . . .
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, alicauchy wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, ZakKnapper UK wrote:
Quote:

Of course, I saved money and gained a pleasant hobby.

The interesting thing is that both (my son and me) started in magic at the same time.

Do you bot show off to each other to see what you learned.
coreyw
View Profile
New user
Missouri
11 Posts

Profile of coreyw
I saw a special on TV when I was a kid and they had little blurbs before the commercial breaks showing a simple trick, then after the commercial break they would show you how it was done. The main part of the show was big name acts doing stage illusions. I remember being amazed that I could do those tricks they showed, and knew I could do the big ones too if I tried. Luckily, this happened when I was young. If it had happened when I was an adult, I would have never assumed I could do the big tricks, too.
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Two cups of coffee and a bran muffin.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
I was part of a marketing team to promote Chuck Jones's illusion shows in Australasia.
After seeing the first show I was hooked.
With my devious personality and ability to spin a tale,I took to it like a fish in water.
Roy Rocha
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Roy Rocha
The World's Greatest Magic tv specials, particularly the close up performers: Lance Burton, Michael Ammar, Paul Gertner, John Pierre Vallerino, Guy Hollingworth, etc. Got me hooked!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » What got you started? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL