The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..44..53..62..71..79~80~81 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Yep, it was a romp.

Baby Groot was the most requested balloon sculpture this weekend - by the girls.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'd love you to post a picture of a Baby Groot balloon sculpture.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Always delightful to see balloon sculptures keep up with the latest films. So I second the motion made by Rockwall. So far, I've seen sculptures of Batman and Wolverine but none of the elastic Reed Richards. You would think that Reed Richards would be a "natural" for a balloon sculpture as you could show his neck stretching.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I tried to upload a pic but it appears it was too large. Anyone who wants to see one send me a PM with an email and I'll send one.
I'm doing a big display piece of Groot and Rocket for an absolute GOTG fanatic at the end of the month, and I'll send that one to anyone who wants to see it.
I love technology but my level of ability is sorely lacking.

You have to keep up with pop culture. When Frozen came out no girl wanted anything other that Elsa, Olaf or Ana. It was coming out of my freaking ears.

Surprisingly Reed Richards isn't as much of a natural as you'd think. I've never been asked to make him but I'm sure I could. However, once the balloons are inflated they don't stretch very much. Thinking about it, I could make one where his neck stretches somewhat but it wouldn't be very impressive and kids would be pulling his head off in a heartbeat.
Then would come the crying, and that's never fun.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Anyone excited by the Wonder Woman movie next month? I'll see it but frankly the trailers have underwhelmed me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The entire way DC has gone about this has underwhelmed me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Agreed.

You'd think that a company that makes comic books should be able to figure out what people want in a superhero movie.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DC comics changed since Julius Schwartz and Neal Adams changed the look of Superman and Batman. Then Jack Kirby upped the game for Jimmy Olson and introduced high-tech new gods and deep magic with Jason Blood. Since then Alan Moore and Frank Miler changed the game around 1987, and the company has merged with AOL and Time Warner.

A comic book is not a video game. Kindly also notice how poorly Green Lantern, Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentleman translated into movies. Sandman? Fables? Adam Strange... can you imagine the horror they'd produce from Neil Gaimans Books of Magic miniseries?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
LXG wasn't bad at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A new trailer recently was released for "The Gifted", which is supposed to come to FOX TV in Fall 2017. Related to the X-Men Film Universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gifted_(TV_series)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-......ory.html

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/09/fox-marvel-gifted-series/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gifted......nections

- Donald

P.S. It's also been announced that "Inhumans" is coming to ABC TV in the Fall, but no trailer for that one yet. Part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumans_(TV_series)
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
VolunteerMagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of VolunteerMagic
The great disparity between Marvel and DC is that Marvel has been slowly building their universe for a VERY LONG TIME. Meanwhile, DC has been doing movies onesy-twosy with no connection whatsoever until recently. So they are desperately trying to play catch up.

Another factor is that, and I think that because Marvel has been going on for so long, Marvel has a pretty good idea of how much leeway and freedom everyone involved needs to make a fantastic product.

DC, especially Warner Brothers, has seen a MASSIVE problem of stepping on each others toes. Look at Suicide Squad. There was a lot of back and forth between the director and the studio. One example being the director being micromanaged by the studio and having to re-shoot scenes well after wrap-up. And then the whole thing of where the Joker was BARELY in the movie, despite the entire ad campaign being built that he was the main villain and a lot of hype around how it'd be as different and good as Leger's performance.

DC is playing catch up REALLY HARD with the Justice League film. I don't think it'll be 'Avengers' good because we haven't had much time to get to know all these powerful protagonists (at least through film methods. I haven't seen the DC shows). My biggest worry is if they use The Flash's ability to travel time as a plot-crutch and we're left feeling deja vu from when Heroes beat itself to death with said crutch.

I want to see DC do well in the film market. There's a lot of interesting characters that I'd like to see make it to the big screen. If the studios would let the directors do their magic, I think DC films would be so much better.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
DC has some AMAZING charecters! But I was never a bug Guardians fan. The movies still rocked. Which sort of proves let the people do their jobs as you say.

BUT I can see them not wanting Spiderman shooting webs like the first round of movies. They don't want to give up too much control either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DC could produce movies based on the Kirby Fourth World series. CGI looks up to that task.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
Here is a shocker, DC's Black Lightning is coming to TV.

Tony Isabella created Black lightning in the 70's where he was a fascinating and complex character who played at being a one-dimensional street thug fighting drug dealers.

I hope they make Tony proud.

Here's the trailer, just out today.

Apparently, even though it will be on the CW (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC's Legends of Tomorrow) and Greg Berlanti helped to create and develop it (referring to the TV series), and it's a DC character, it won't be a part of the Arrowverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ligh......eries%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lightning

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
When Donald mentioned the Inhumans, it dawned on me about one of its characters. Because we usually think of Marvel "stealing" from DC such as Quicksilver "stolen" from The Flash, etc. But your mention about the Inhumans rang a bell of one instance where DC "stole" from Marvel. That is, the Inhuman named Medusa who can animate her long hair. Much later came DC with Lady Godiva, same super power. At the same time, it made me recall the song by the same name, sung by Peter and Gordon. I even used to have that album. You other Baby Boomers should remember that golden oldie.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So I FINALLY finished the second season of the man in the comic universe with the best initials.

As it was winding up, I was worried about the end. I was preparing to be a bit disappointed but nope. For those who are reading who have NOT seen it stop reading now. But I was worried about a Punisher free ending. But they brought it home well.

I liked it a lot actually.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
"Justice
like lightning
should ever appear
to some men as hope
to others as fear."

- Tony Isabella
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
What many don't know is that the alien Groot first appeared in an anthology story from Tales to Astonish #13 way back in November 1960, meant as a one-shot story. He was also an Evil-invader and it was never explained how he became a hero in the Guardians group. So that neglect is certainly a big disappointment.

Along somewhat similar lines is the DC Comics alien from Saturn, The Faceless alien, an alien who was faceless--literally! He had appeared in an anthology but was later resurrected as a villain. In this case, the alien was originally a villain already so his resurrection as a villain was no discrepancy at all--contrasted with the glaring discrepancy with Marvel's Groot.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't mind those discrepancies. None of the stories are chronological. Usually when they try to explain them they actually make it worse than not knowing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Comics are epileptic in more ways than one.
comical (adj.) Look up comical at Dictionary.com
early 15c., "comic," from comic (or Latin comicus) + -al (1). Meaning "funny" is from 1680s. Earlier Middle English had an identical word meaning "epileptic," from Latin morbus comitialis "epilepsy."
They are normally about some epileptic event I think.
There is a strange comic book here called epileptic about a kid who has epilepsy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKoACfyE8r8
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..44..53..62..71..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL