The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..42~43~44~45~46..53..59..65..71..77..79~80~81 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
I still say it sucks that they might kill a character for the reason that the actor who plays him has their contract expiring. I hope that is not the driving force behind that.

That's a good point and I guess I wouldn't want that to be the driving reason. One thing about the Marvel Universe, the actors have really become the iconic 'person' for those roles. It's hard to imagine anyone by Robert Downey Jr or Chris Evans playing Ironman and Capt America respectively. I do think that for the movies at least, they want to show how powerful Thanos really is by having him actually kill someone and creating that type of emotional impact. The fact that contracts are ending, certainly helps with that decision.

Interesting note. I just saw that Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans are both listed as being in the 2019 Avengers movie.
Interesting note 2. Counting the 2019 Avengers movie, Both Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans have appeared as their characters in a total of 10 Marvel movies since 2008. That is probably a record for someone appearing as a superhero in a series of movie pictures. That's a big part of the reason they are much more iconic as Ironman and Captain America than say any of the actors playing Batman have ever been.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just finished watching "Jessica Jones" season 2. I felt it was high quality and well done like all the Marvel TV shows are.

Unfortunately, it left me feeling rather sad. I know it was supposed to do that, but the idea the people who selflessly help others can't have their own happy endings is a real downer.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Just finished watching "Jessica Jones" season 2. I felt it was high quality and well done like all the Marvel TV shows are.

Unfortunately, it left me feeling rather sad. I know it was supposed to do that, but the idea the people who selflessly help others can't have their own happy endings is a real downer.

To add to what Cliff said, that's why I seldom buy current comics nowadays. Because so many characters get killed off.

Not buying the current ones but still keep buying, that is to say, I've been buying reprints of the Golden Age. The most recent reprint-volume I bought was the Golden Age Human Torch which is interesting because he's an Android as compared to Johnny Storm.
The way I see it, the Android is just like combining the Frankenstein idea with Superhero. Because the Android is of course man-made but at first his flaming-body makes him a menace. This man-made menace is what makes him like a Frankenstein monster.
I found its combination very enjoyable because in comparison the original Frankenstein used to bore me. But combining the boring idea with the superhero makes it very interesting.
To add to the initial menace, the Android's emotions would sometimes make him burst into flames inadvertently. So in order to control his flames, he had to learn to control his emotions. Seen in that light, I much prefer the Android Torch rather than Johnny Storm. Because Johnny was much too arrogant.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Frankenstein's creature as superhero..
Interesting. Thanks Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:

To add to what Cliff said, that's why I seldom buy current comics nowadays. Because so many characters get killed off.

Not buying the current ones but still keep buying, that is to say, I've been buying reprints of the Golden Age. The most recent reprint-volume I bought was the Golden Age Human Torch which is interesting because he's an Android as compared to Johnny Storm.
The way I see it, the Android is just like combining the Frankenstein idea with Superhero. Because the Android is of course man-made but at first his flaming-body makes him a menace. This man-made menace is what makes him like a Frankenstein monster.
I found its combination very enjoyable because in comparison the original Frankenstein used to bore me. But combining the boring idea with the superhero makes it very interesting.
To add to the initial menace, the Android's emotions would sometimes make him burst into flames inadvertently. So in order to control his flames, he had to learn to control his emotions. Seen in that light, I much prefer the Android Torch rather than Johnny Storm. Because Johnny was much too arrogant.

Did you catch the cameo in "Captain America - The First Avenger"? At the "World's Fair," you can see a what's clearly the "Original Human Torch" under a tube with a sign that reads "Artificial Human." That HAS to be a reference to the fact that Chris Evans (Steve Rogers) was in fact in the Human Torch in "The Fantastic Four."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Marvel had a "horror series" going for awhile, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, one for a Zombie and one for Frankenstein's Monster!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:

Did you catch the cameo in "Captain America - The First Avenger"? At the "World's Fair," you can see a what's clearly the "Original Human Torch" under a tube with a sign that reads "Artificial Human." That HAS to be a reference to the fact that Chris Evans (Steve Rogers) was in fact in the Human Torch in "The Fantastic Four."

Yes I caught that cameo. It would be great if they can have the Android from the Golden Age along with his teammates Captain America and the Submariner together in a World War II movie. In the Comics, the two Torches are depicted differently. That is, Johnny Storm's facial features can be seen through the flames. But in the case of the Android torch, no facial features can be seen at all because they are totally obscured by his flames.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Marvel had a "horror series" going for awhile, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, one for a Zombie and one for Frankenstein's Monster!

In addition, there was also the Golem, about a Statue that can become animated. He became animated when the scientist who found him got murdered by desert marauders. With the scientist's last dying breath, his tear-drops happened to fall on the feet of the statue, which animated the Golem. In other words, the Golem's purpose is to seek revenge and protect the innocent. Each time after his work is done, he becomes automatically re-petrified into a Statue again. In the first issue, he took revenge on the marauders. Then in the subsequent issues, he becomes automatically animated whenever the loved ones of the old man become endangered. Both the animation and re-petrification are automatic, as dictated by the magic spell cast by a Jewish rabbi.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I remember Spider-man teaming up with Frankenstein in 1974 or so. I thought it was hysterical when they both got captured by the bad guy and are strapped down to a metal plate with metal bands holding them down. Frankenstein basically rips the metal and shoves his hands right through to jam up the machine that is to kill them. Spider-man was totally shocked at that display of strength.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which is odd because Spidey is a strong dude.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Good point Danny.

But lets remember that Marvel used to do a really good job of rating their heroes strength levels. Spider-man was merely a "5," Where as Thor and Namor were up at "100." Hulk would start out at "75" but the angrier he got....

That scale was great, and I loved it. It meant a strong normal human was between 1/4 and 1/2, and Captain America who was the highest potential a human could ever achieve was a 1.

The scale was based on the number of tons the hero could lift over their head from the ground.

That meant Spider-man could have lifted 10,000 pounds over his head. Could he have pressed his hands through a 1 inch thick sheet of solid steel?
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Probably Yea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
To tell you the truth, from reading many issues of Spiderman, I've never seen him press his hand through a 1 inch thickness of solid steel. So that strength level is speculative as even Danny still used the word "Probably."

In comparison with muscular-type strengths which you folks are discussing, I find that power levels shown for other kinds of superpowers have been more accurately established. As an example, the X-man Cyclops with his optic-beam has been specifically shown blasting a Sherman Tank apart into fragmentary pieces. So at least for Cyclops we can see how much of an effect that his superpower has on metal.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvI0lBSkCs

While what you speak of is a very specific situation, here is a guy explaining some examples of Spidey strength that certainly imply his ability to do so.

These are actual examples right out of the books, no scale needed.

I never liked that scale because depending on who was writing and the need for the story to move along strength changed. Cap for example has multiple examples of being more than a 1. Just running a mile with that lathe shield would need strength well beyond human.

Yes Spidy is far stronger than most think if you read long enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Anyone notice how amazing Gotham has become?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I actually have an issue with what Gotham has become.

Mainly Jerome and the Joker. I don't think The Joker belongs on the show.

The joker belongs to Batman. Batman's debut is still 8 years or so away.

I am sure Joker was brought in because the producers thought he was needed in the show for some reason. I thought it was going fine without.

Aside from that, I like how the show is running and enjoy it every week.
Magic is like Science,
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I look at the show as a kind of re-imagining of the early years that tries to pay homage to the lore as much as possible.

Early or not, Cameron Monaghan's Joker is very good, imo.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Kinda what I said.

"There is nobody who can take over Iron Man from Robert. I don't think the audience would accept that. He never mentioned to us about leaving Iron Man, but it will happen at some point of time." - Joe Russo
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It will be interesting to see how the characters age. They are sort of frozen in time right now, which is why fans don't want another Cap or Iron Man.

My guess is they move from those to new characters which Marvel has a lot of fortunately.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
"Avengers: Infinity War" (aka Avengers 3) is going to be released in a week now. I predict that we'll get an announcement for the title of Avengers 4 at the end of Avengers 3. They've been keeping it under wraps, ever since they made the announcement that Avengers 3 and 4 wouldn't be called "Infinity War, Parts 1 and 2".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_Avengers_film

Upcoming MCU movies:

Left in Phase 3:

April 27, 2018 - "Avengers: Infinity War"
July 6, 2018 - "Ant-Man and The Wasp"
March 8, 2019 - "Captain Marvel"
May 3, 2019 - "Untitled Avengers Film"

Post Phase 3:

July 5, 2019 - "Untitled Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel"
2020 - "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cin......re_films

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..42~43~44~45~46..53..59..65..71..77..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL