The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ParaLabs Paranormal Wallet (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
MindVention is less than a month away. And I'm SUPPOSED to be working on my lecture and finalizing my lecture notes, but there was a knock on the door. Who should be standing there but a courier! "I wonder what he could be bringing?" I asked myself...even though I was already making excuses as to why the notes and lecture could wait for an hour or two. I knew what he was bringing me.

It's a never ending area of fascination to me how a grown man can be instantly put into to a kid-on-Christmas-morning mindset by an unopened package.

So I nodded coolly at Sheree and, with suitable dollops of dignity, I made my way into the Sanctum Sanctorum, (okay...my den) where I ripped that puppy open and got my first look at my new Paranormal Wallet.

When I first heard about the Paranormal Wallet, I found out it was like a ParaPa* in a wallet. Of course, I love ParaPa*s. Imps are a very big part of my shows -- close-up and on stage. Since ParaP*ds have always delivered razor sharp imps, I own five of them -- and they are in constant use.

And that clears up the first misconception about what the PN Wallet is NOT. It's NOT a pe*k wallet, unless you consider getting your pe*k after the paper's left the wallet and is in the spectator's pocket on your own time to be a 'p*ek."

For your $250, you get:

* A handmade VERY soft and thin walled wallet. This is a high end item. You'd expect to find it at a quality men's shop.
* A couple of envelopes, one of which is prepared with that extra something inside the wallet
* Two more special somethings so that you can prepare your own...special...thing. (This is a tough review to write, because I don't want to give anything away. Either you know what I mean when I say "imp" or you don't. If you have no idea what an "imp" is, let me explain: it's a little guy about three feet tall who frolics in the forest.) Anyway, these special somethings will allow you to prepare your own..special somethings...
* A small pack of ParaLabs ESP Cards which can be prepared
* A small supply of Post-It Notes (Note to North Americans -- these are not exotic tough-to-find-cause-they're-European Post It Notes. These are available everywhere.)
* A mini Stabilo fiber tipped pen that is ready to go. (It fits neatly into a little holder in the wallet -- which made me smile. Stuff that just fits and is well thought out just makes me happy.)
* A number of extra envelopes for the envelope routine

There are no instructions because a private instructional video has been prepared to show you all the cool stuff your new toy will do. This is a video you'll probably have to watch a couple of times before you really get it...but if you're used to ParaPa*s it's not difficult to pick up.

Let me talk about ParaP*ds for a second. If you have one, you know the brilliant secret of how you can be looking right at the imp in front of 2,000 people and no one has any idea what you're doing. (That makes me smile too, by the way.)

And you're going to hear a lot about how clever the method for getting your look is. Here's an example: your spectator writes their word/secret/picture on a post-it note in your wallet. They take the paper and hide it. You draw a couple of envelopes out of the wallet and ask them if they'd be more comfortable putting their note into an envelope. Chances are they say 'no' -- and you put the envelopes back into the wallet. By the end of this process, you know their secret. (Either you get that or you don't. If you don't...well...an imp is this little guy frolicking in the woods.)

It's brilliant. Seamless. Virtually angle-proof with the proper management. There are two other ways to get the information you need. One is Colin McLeod's idea. The other is a delayed reveal concept involving the enclosed ParaLabs ESP cards. But all three work much the same way and each is truly seamless.

I've prepared a little something on the back of a billet so that I can do an interesting version of a Drawing Dupe -- and when I tested it out the you-know-what was perfect. So was the envelope method. I'll be taking it out for a spin at a show later tonight...but I don't see any problems because it's essentially a ParaP*d in a wallet.

The imps are, as expected, simply perfect. The ONLY thing I am going to be utterly anal about for a while is ensuring that I put the right things in the right places facing the right way...if you know what I mean.

The wallet was designed from the ground up by ParaLabs. I have a place for credit cards. I have Post It Notes for "stuff I have to remember" and a pen to write with. I also have a compartment that will keep my billets nice and neat until I need them -- and another place for my business cards. It really is a thing of beauty and I can see myself using it for many years to come.

A couple of thoughts: it would have been nice to have a flap somewhere in the wallet where the you-know-what could be hidden -- actually built into the wallet. And the marker IS a Stabilo -- common in Europe and not so common here -- and it's a mini size. Why might this be an issue? I will have to find a North American skinny mini fiber tipped marker (or find the actual mini Stabilos on the net) that will fit into the holder in the wallet. I haven't even started looking yet. There's no way a mini-Sharpie is going in there, though.

But those really are minor quibbles. Using Post-it-notes means I'm never going to worry about needing a specially punched paper. The pe*k really IS invisible when done properly. The imps are perfect in all three of the places I tested them.

When you think about it -- I've got imps and billets -- enough material for a big chunk of performiing loaded into a package I plan to use as my everyday wallet.

I won't know for sure until I've worked with this in performances. But on the face of it, the Paranormal wallet is another home run from ParaLabs. It's not expensive at all when you think about what it is...and the quality of the product and the brilliance of the methods AND the VARIETY of possibilities it offers...and the fact that it's going to be a part of my walking-out-of-the-house stuff for years to come.

I love this thing.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Nice review David, thanks!

After seeing the demo I know this is brilliant!

The wallet is brilliant and the p**k (especially the timing) is brilliant!

Most important the *** is always very clear and now the easy way to get things done will really let you relax so you can really concentrate on your performance. A VERY important plus.
The wallet layout is also very practical, I do hope it's not thick with the marker inside, I was not able to see that on the pictures or the demo video.

John Smile
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
The quality of the wallet is superb and the fact it is capable of so much, in such a discreet but effective way, makes this a fantastic tool. It is something I am proud to own.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Is there a way to lo@d?

thanks
Sean
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Hi Sean,

the short answer is, "It's not explicitly designed for this feature".
If you like to get a more sophisticated answer, please raise your question back stage, ... Smile

Cheers
Th.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
No need Thomas, my order is in. I like paralabs a lot and know your stuff is always well thought out.

Now I ordered it 5 minutes ago---is it in the post yet? 😈
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Really liked your review David. I'd been pondering the idea a few days and made up my mind after reading it, so thanks 😄
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
No need Thomas, my order is in. I like paralabs a lot and know your stuff is always well thought out.

Yes, just 5min ago I sealed your envelope ;-)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, Sean..
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Townsend1
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
David,
I find your reviews to be some of the most helpful on the Café.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Don
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, Dr. Eamon wrote:

Most important the *** is always very clear and now the easy way to get things done will really let you relax so you can really concentrate on your performance. A VERY important plus.
The wallet layout is also very practical, I do hope it's not thick with the marker inside, I was not able to see that on the pictures or the demo video.

John Smile

Where is this video demo? I've looked everywhere!
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, Dr. Eamon wrote:

John Smile

Where is this video demo? I've looked everywhere!
would like to see one myself if possible..Also if you buy the pro kit do you need to buy anything else later on apart from spare post it's cheers.
Smile
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I just recieved this in Hong Kong. It's a beautiful wallet and looks high end. It will go by unsuspected and the peek is really diabolical because of the timing. I am very happy with this purchase.

Sean
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, Rainer - ParaLabs wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:

Yes, just 5min ago I sealed your envelope ;-)

If you were a REAL mind reader you would have mailed it six minutes ago ...
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, cheesewrestler wrote:

If you were a REAL mind reader you would have mailed it six minutes ago ...

I am ;-)

I packed one plus in case we get another order.
Just in this moment I got Seans order Smile

Sometimes I really feel like a real mindreader ;-))
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Rainer is right. I actually received my wallet before I'd even ordered it! Amazing! 😄
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. Being new to mentalism, I see how powerful this can be! I just learned about imps! Hee hee! Devilish little creatures! And the p**k capability of the P**k Wallet! In this Paranormal Wallet though, the envelopes are diabolical! $250 is WAY out of my price range, but yeah. This is a winner! All in one wallet, too.

I like the ParaP**. The price is right and the imps are diabolical! May spring for this payday.

I love the password protection on this site! Anyone who does not know who old Theo is, doesn't belong! LOL!

Doug
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I admit I really like this thing. It's really appealing. I own a parapad and having a spec write in a pad makes sense. If I was a spec, I would wonder why I have to use your wallet to write something. Not trying to be negative, but does anyone ever question why they write in a wallet?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hermit-

I have this and like it a lot. It really doesn't look like a wallet, though. More like a leather post-it notebook with a place for business cards and a few credit cards. It even has a pen holder, not something you'd find in a wallet. I use it to hold billets, post it notes and envelopes. Totally congruent with the work I do.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Hi Hermit,

I replied to a similar question in detail in this threat!.
The only issue is that you need 6 more posts to visit the 'Inner Thoughts' section of the Café. But you should be able to hit the 50 posts mark pretty soon - right? Smile

Cheers
Th.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ParaLabs Paranormal Wallet (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL