The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to do: egg bag, chop cup, pick pocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
Like in the subject. I want to create egg bag and chop cup. Also I want to create pick pocket with plastic glass so I can see throught this, but audiance cant see throught this (depends on angle of view)
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Egg bag - sewing machine
Chop cup - lathe
Plastic glass for pick pocketing - louvers, like Venitian blinds but sideways.

I would like to create an effect where I type and people send me money... Any ideas how to do that?
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
"I would like to create an effect where I type and people send me money... Any ideas how to do that?"

The most lucrative answer to that I have seen is television evangelism.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Hers some virtual money, I got it by typing ;-) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
LOL, George!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Guys I don't understund your memes ;d

But I don't have idea how to sew that egg bag. Anyone have any scheme? From where can I get that louvers?
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Egg Bag - If you don't have the method, research Tarbell or Hoffmann. Choose the kind of material and pattern/color for your bag. If you cannot sew, find a seamstress to help.

Chop Chop Cup - Again if you do not have the method, you will have to research online. There are a number of public domain PDFs. I worked one of mine from a piece of China Berry tree on a lathe, and a leather one.

I would suggest starting out buying what you need. This will help determine how you should adapt the principal for your creation. Don't be afraid to experiment with less common cups and bags. You may come up with the next big thing.

Click here to view attached image.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

So you suggest to buy that stuff, don't do it myself? So do you recommend any good egg bags or chop chop cups avaible in EU? Cheap is also good pros.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Of course it would be best to go to a brick and mortar shop to test out what they have. If you can go to one and talk with the people there.

Online, you can go from very cheap products to very pricey. If you are starting out in these two areas of props, I would suggest you look at what you can comfortably afford. $20 - $40 should get you a nice bag to start with. Weather you want the black, red or plaid is just personal choice. The magic is in the presentation.

The Chop Chop Cup can be found in wood, leather, aluminum, brass, copper and so on. I started with the aluminum cup and went on to make my own once I knew what I wanted in a cup. Find a cup that fits your budget, in a style you like, two knit chop balls and what ever final load fits your routine and start practicing.

You will develop an idea as to what you want or need in your props, and can start making them to fit your needs. When I go to purchase something I do a lot of researching on eBay, as well as the magic shops Google shows me.

Hope this helps.
Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Great. I'm looking for Malini Egg Bag and this is expensive, but probably the best. Chop Chop Cup - I want to put there two balls, additional final big load and one lemon.

And this is that wallet I was talking about: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......s-dream/
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If I'm correct, George sent me $1.50 but that's too much. I just want a dollar from everyone in the world so here is Georges change
Smile Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Szymon- Generally, we frown on sharing details of design or method on this forum. That's why nobody wants to give you a pattern.

As to whether Malini bags are the best, it really depends on your presentation. I never really got on with the Malini pattern as well as with the Mardo design. Others are completely the opposite from me in that regard.

Do you have the information you need on how to perform a routine with the egg bag? If so, you know the way it works. And that means you can make one. If you don't know the way to build a routine (meaning all the performance that surrounds and includes the actual "trick"), you may be best off finding that information and then making the routine. Henry Hay's Learn Magic has a section on the egg bag. There are several DVDs the cover nice routines with it. In all cases, what you have for learning material will help you decide what kind of bag you need.

Also, what is your experience level in magic? There are normally multiple ways to do anything you want to do. It is possible to construct an entire egg bag routine with a regular bag, not the special one. The effect, meaning the egg vanishes and reappears in the bag, can be the same, but the routine will have to be different. The advantage is that you can borrow a purse or allow a rigorous examination of your prop. The disadvantage is that there are certain things you can do with an egg bag that you cannot do with pure sleight of hand.

The chop cup can be made from all sorts of things. I've seen disposable plastic cups used. It works great if you know how to do the gimmick.

It is not giving any secrets away to say that the more innocent your props appear, the less likely it is that your audience will challenge you on them. A cup that obviously comes from a magic store may well excite suspicion. On the other hand, your routine should be entertaining above all. If it is just the common chop-cup challenge "is the ball in my pocket or under the cup?" you will draw attention to the cup. Every time. If you have a good routine, people are engaged in trying to figure out where the ball is, not what the gimmick is. A single cup and ball routine can be done with no gimmicks at all if you structure it to be entertaining.

-Patrick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Na zdrowie Szymon!

There I've used up my entire vocabulary in Polish! (I'm Norwegian (mostly)

I learned how to perform with the Harold Sterling bag (which Charles Mardo used) Mardo taught me how to use it in 1951. I had never liked the "classic" egg bag.

I've tried the Miller/Malini bag, but it did not fit my routine.

A GOOD Sterling/Mardo is made of wool and will cost not much less than $50.00. --But, if it's not "abused", it should last many years. My first one cost $2.50, in 1951. It was finally replaced in the early '90s, when I visited an IBM Ring "swap night". I picked up a like NEW Jeff Busby made ($50.00)bag for $5.00!!! I suggest that if you are on a budget, you try to pick up a used one. But, before you spend money, read up on the various types of egg bags.

As has been said above, the bag must be "played under". IT'S AN "EGG" TRICK!

Best wishes

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to do: egg bag, chop cup, pick pocket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL