The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe & SPIRTS of the DEAD (148 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Kindred Spirits and Spookies,

It is with more puzzled delight than pomp or ceremony that I introduce my strange preoccupation of the last year, two Poe-themed decks of cards with the mystery entertainer in mind.

I am thrilled (and just a bit bewildered) to be a part of Lebanon Circle's new collective. It is a great honor.

If you have any questions about these offerings, please do not hesitate to ask.

It is my sincere hope that these cards will give back a little something to the community that has inspired me so.

Yours in Mystery,
E.R. Perkins

'ESPoe'

ESPoe is a bizarre remix of the Zener/Rhine extrasensory perception cards with the mystery performer in mind. The symbols have been transmuted into classic, high-contrast representations of the major motifs in Poe's work. With these cards, any of your favorite ESP effects and routines can be reborn as gothic fables of mystery and imagination. ESPoe is a utility deck and a dark storytelling tool, tipped in your favor.

'Edgar Allan Poe's SPIRITS of the DEAD seance cards'

A deck of seance cards with a dark secret.

Lift the veil and contact the dead with this elegantly designed deck of seance cards, uniquely rooted in the literary themes of Edgar Allan Poe. More than mere alphabet and number cards, SPIRITS of the DEAD will allow you to make contact through the imagery, themes and the very words of Poe’s works. Perhaps you will contact the author himself.

weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2912 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Great work.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
As a play tester of the ESPoe cards, I have really enjoyed working with them. There are so many possibilities, from straight card magic, to mentalism, to full blown story telling magic. I am proud to have developed a routine exploring the tragedies in Poe's life, a story told with choices made by a volunteer with a quite visual ending, called "The Curse of the Red Death". I have been told that there are other great routines contained in the instructions for these wonderful cards too and am looking forward to checking them out.

This is another essential addition to the wonderful range of effects and props honouring Poe.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Thank you, Willie and Brynmore!

Brynmore's "The Curse of the Red Death" is indeed included in the manual. It is a marvelous exploration of Poe's history and the influence of tragedy on his life and work. It is elegant in telling and 'dreadful' in reveal. The concept of ESPoe is very open source. Brynmore beautifully makes these cards his own in the illustration of his effect. It provided me with one of the first real pieces of proof that this deck could become the utility tool I had hoped it would.

I am profoundly grateful to my play-testing group (whom I will not OUT without their say so) for sharing their inspirations and condemnations. They challenged me to make these cards the best they could be.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of horus1
Congratulations Perkins!
These seem very cool.
It's definitely an honor to be a part of Lebanon circle's roster.

I'm really looking forward to checking them out!
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Special user
in special pants.
980 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
These look really great Mr Perkins.
Quality work and some great ideas here. A fantastically powerful first release.
Really proud for you sir!
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10584 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'll be using some Perkins Poe items for my Spirits of Vengeance performance on Halloweeeeeeen

They are so beautiful!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4955 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love it when simplicity is at the heart of creation. Black, white. Just straight to the point.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Just ordered these! I am a sucker for all things Poe, and these shall be put to good use. I love the idea of using them in place of the standard ESP cards. Can't wait to see them in person!
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
I'm thrilled to see these finally hit the shelves! I know Perkins has been working furiously and feverishly on these for months and the high quality of the final product reflects his efforts.

The ESPoe cards are a true utility prop with uses only limited by our imaginations. I think the three routines included (which include a humble offering by me alongside Perkins' and Brynmore's inspired creations) illustrate the breadth of effects that can be achieved.

Oh, and a quick note to Doppelgänger owners - my routine was designed to lead quite naturally into a single-book Poe effect. Just saying...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, MatCult wrote:

Oh, and a quick note to Doppelgänger owners - my routine was designed to lead quite naturally into a single-book Poe effect. Just saying...

Sweet! Cant wait to read all about it!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Mathew is far too humble, his routine is great. And would make a lovely lead in to any other Poe effect OR in fact an entire night of
Poe-tertainment, but could also stand alone quite happily.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4116 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
WOW those look awesome.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
I am digging today.

I would like to thank everyone for the early encouragement and support that I've received on this strange outing. It's true. Furious and fevered, I have been. This is a side project that has become an obsession. One that, for better or worse, has been validated by the generous support of many people that I greatly admire, not to mention by those who have decided to join the fray and pick up a deck.

It's a feeling of gratitude I don't take lightly.

MatCult's routine, "Phobias" is fascinating look at the fears that inspire some of our greatest authors of horror. It puts the spectator at the heart of the moment and wills them to succeed. It's empowering, articulate and scary. Again, it was reasonable proof to me that this really could be a killer utility.

Some folks have contacted me wanting to see more images of the SPIRITS of the DEAD deck. Those are up at Lebanon Circle now.

The manuals are complete and en route to Dan, the master of ceremonies.

Hit me up if you have any questions or commentary.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2912 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
"A must have item" my cadavers say. One thinks Poe looks like one of his long dead uncles. But, then again, dead people think they are related to everyone who is dead. Has something to do with the birds of a feather rhyme.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Http://youtube.com/watch?v=LqlzElvN95g

A little Poe for a Friday afternoon (here in Oz at least.)
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
798 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Marvelous performance piece by Jeffrey Combs in this vid!
Thanks for sharing, Bdynmore14. Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
It was too good not to share Smile
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2912 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
The Spirits of the Dead deck is awesome. My suggestion is for you to buy two because you won't want to use the first one. These are just too good not to have a second deck. One thing I assure you is my cadavers will not be handling these.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of horus1
I received my ESPoe cards and Spirits of the Dead deck in the mail - the first offering from Perkins and Parlor Ghost.

These are fantastic! The cards are beautiful and elegant in their design.
The backs feature a line drawing of Poe which perfectly disguises a
cunning marking system.

SOTD also employs a devious bonus mark that you will greatly appreciate in any dimly lit setting.

ESPoe have a Lavender colored back, while the Spirits deck is grey. Both are striking to behold and set side by side
your guests immediately know they're in for a special evening.

I'll admit I've not done a wine glass seance before.
It just didn't seem like my cup of tea, and I didn't feel confident in my ability to deliver a memorable evening based around it.

A read through Paul Voodini's book piqued my interest, but I still felt I was leaving too much up to chance and the imagination of the specs.
(Paul's book is excellent BTW)

Parlor Ghost's deck is the swiss army knife of Seance cards. Perkins has thought of everything.
The marking system is simple and gives you the ability to delve into a more controlled evening should you desire.
(FYI - not all cards are marked - just a few are)

Purists will love the basic 26 alphabet cards and 0-9 number cards, but it's the extras that really set
this deck apart. 4 options for yes and no, 3 masks of Poe cards, a pendulum card, quote cards with passages from the book,
and my favorite, two spirit frame cards.
Carve a message on one for use in your switch box and you have an excellent extra kicker.

The possibilities for this deck are incredible, especially when combined with a Poe themed evening.
I'm looking forward to using these with Prof BC's Dopp version of Poe's best tales.

Suddenly the wine glass seance seems like it's right up my alley!

As much as I'm impressed with the SOTD, it's the ESPoe cards that will really get a work out from me.
These are awesome. A fresh take on the Zener cards, also with a simple and devious marking system.

Testing audience members for ESP is a perfect warm up to an evening of paranormal entertainment (another tidbit from Paul's book)
And these cards are just a hell of a lot more fun then a Zener deck. Again Perkins has thought of everything with the bonus cards.
There is so much you can do with these. The manual also offers up three stellar routines by Perkins, Matcult and Brynmore that I can't wait to try.
I'll be surfing over to Ebay in search of coffin nails now... - very cool idea)

A read through the manual and it's clear that Perkins loves the spooky arts and he designed the props that he had been wishing for.
Kudos to he and Dan for making them available to everyone.

These are a must have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe & SPIRTS of the DEAD (148 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL