The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe & SPIRTS of the DEAD (148 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2912 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I've not seen anyone but Perkins with such macabre generosity, except me of course. I once had a buy one funeral and take another with you when you go. You'd be surprised how many people don't want to be the other person. I mean, like it's free! Anyway, congratulation to the winners whose destiny turned face up.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2912 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, horus1 wrote:
I received my ESPoe cards and Spirits of the Dead deck in the mail - the first offering from Perkins and Parlor Ghost.

These are fantastic! The cards are beautiful and elegant in their design.
The backs feature a line drawing of Poe which perfectly disguises a
cunning marking system.

SOTD also employs a devious bonus mark that you will greatly appreciate in any dimly lit setting.

ESPoe have a Lavender colored back, while the Spirits deck is grey. Both are striking to behold and set side by side
your guests immediately know they're in for a special evening.

I'll admit I've not done a wine glass seance before.
It just didn't seem like my cup of tea, and I didn't feel confident in my ability to deliver a memorable evening based around it.

A read through Paul Voodini's book piqued my interest, but I still felt I was leaving too much up to chance and the imagination of the specs.
(Paul's book is excellent BTW)

Parlor Ghost's deck is the swiss army knife of Seance cards. Perkins has thought of everything.
The marking system is simple and gives you the ability to delve into a more controlled evening should you desire.
(FYI - not all cards are marked - just a few are)

Purists will love the basic 26 alphabet cards and 0-9 number cards, but it's the extras that really set
this deck apart. 4 options for yes and no, 3 masks of Poe cards, a pendulum card, quote cards with passages from the book,
and my favorite, two spirit frame cards.
Carve a message on one for use in your switch box and you have an excellent extra kicker.

The possibilities for this deck are incredible, especially when combined with a Poe themed evening.
I'm looking forward to using these with Prof BC's Dopp version of Poe's best tales.

Suddenly the wine glass seance seems like it's right up my alley!

As much as I'm impressed with the SOTD, it's the ESPoe cards that will really get a work out from me.
These are awesome. A fresh take on the Zener cards, also with a simple and devious marking system.

Testing audience members for ESP is a perfect warm up to an evening of paranormal entertainment (another tidbit from Paul's book)
And these cards are just a hell of a lot more fun then a Zener deck. Again Perkins has thought of everything with the bonus cards.
There is so much you can do with these. The manual also offers up three stellar routines by Perkins, Matcult and Brynmore that I can't wait to try.
I'll be surfing over to Ebay in search of coffin nails now... - very cool idea)

A read through the manual and it's clear that Perkins loves the spooky arts and he designed the props that he had been wishing for.
Kudos to he and Dan for making them available to everyone.

These are a must have.

What a wonderful, and accurate review. These decks are a wonderful addition.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
reese
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of reese
I am taken aback by Perkin's generosity and love the spirit of fun he created. My deepest gratitude to you! To have a spot of luck on this day in particular is especially nice. Thank you.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
798 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, Perkins wrote:
From the hat...

DocBenWiz and Reese

Thanks to all for playing along. I've been spending so much time with Poe lately, it's good to know that there are others who share my distraction.

Happy Halloween, Spookies!

PM's coming up.

Wow, just checked my pm's and then this post....Much gratitude and thanks so much for your generosity!
I look forward to adding ESPoe deck routines to my other Poe performance pieces. Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
You guys are gonna love ESPoe.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Hand of fate, indeed. I think that's really the only way to properly break in a hat.

Congratulations to DocBen and Reese!

They each chose a deck of ESPoe to assist them in their machinations. (Decided to let the winners choose their decks rather than foisting more Hand of Fate on them). If the Coachman doesn't have any unexpected stops, they should arrive on Halloween!

Yours in Mystery,
Perkins
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
So you sent them a trick as a Hallowe'en treat? It'll never catch on!

Congrats to the winners. Great quotes from all involved. And great contest from the mighty Perkins.

I couldn't pick a favourite quote. I really like the one from his letters where he states he "became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity".

Oh and "Nevermore" FTW!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Remember when people on the internets used to write "FTW!" all the time?

Aaah, those were the days. It was mostly fields round here, as far as the eye could see...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
590 Posts

Profile of Winks
Thank you Perkins. Well done.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5313 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
" I became irritable, with long intervals of horrible munchies "

@MatCult what is "FTW!" ?

Not, trying to derail ... but, this has been a fun thread, Perkins! Smile

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
590 Posts

Profile of Winks
You must live in Colorado, Godzilla.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5313 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Winks wrote:
You must live in Colorado, Godzilla.

LOL

NO
But, I have friends that do ! Smile

I live on 'Monster Island'.
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
My Poe: Spirits of the Dead cards arrived today, just in time for Halloween, so I might just have to use them on Friday night...

Now I have not seen these in the flesh. The ESPoe cards I play tested, but not the Seance cards, although I did get the skinny on them from Perkins. They are great. I love the colour and the look.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"

Great minds and fools!
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
" I became irritable, with long intervals of horrible munchies "

@MatCult what is "FTW!" ?

Not, trying to derail ... but, this has been a fun thread, Perkins! Smile

~G

Haha! FTW = For the win (I think)
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
ESPoe and SOTD owners:

It came to my attention, while attending ECSS, that several owners do not have the deck manuals. (?!?!!) A devastating snafu or wicked slap-down from the spam filter demons? I don't know, but let's fix it.

If you have either of these decks, but not it's companion manual, please contact myself or Dan at Lebanon Circle. We'll get it sorted right away.

Perkins

PS I think I will run a limited supply of "stage-sized" ESPoe soon and put them up on the LC site. If this interests you, let me know and I'll make sure to save one for you. I'm really not planning on running much more than are requested. A few extra, but not many.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
871 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Good question passed along via PM: What are the measurements of a "stage-sized" card?

The larger deck of ESPoe cards, for higher visibility stage use, would be twice the size of a standard playing card: 3.5" x 5.75" (8.9cm x 14.6cm). I won't print as many SFX cards for this deck either. I'll take requests if you have an fav effect card, but it'll be more about the ESP side of the deck.

Many thanks!

Perkins
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
It's MR. Darkness
1446 Posts

Profile of Darkness
No brainer.... Thanks for doing this, again above and beyond...
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Folks, having used these several times over the last few days I (I had a hiccup with my package and am getting the full set mailed out again but Perkins loaned me a deck to use while I wait on the second making attempt from across the pond) and the Espoe cards are strong, very strong. If you don't have these and you love either Poe, ESP effects, or both- I would encourage you to pick these up from Lebanon.

The manual as mentioned has some great effects and I have heard of possible updates in the future with more contributions. I can't wait to get the extra props as well from Lebanon as well.

Highly recommended.

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ESPoe & SPIRTS of the DEAD (148 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL