The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Discoveries (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2014, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
PS: I think I need to cite something from Gordon Bruce and I just found a rather nice false overhand shuffle from him.

If it's the one in 5x5 Scotland, which is the only one I know, then it's well worth mentioning.
Ray.

Yes it is Ray and it does deserve a look!
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
The mention of John Ramsay reminded me of Andrew Galloway's fantastic 1980 book, Diverting Card Magic. Galloway was Ramsay's only student, and the author of two books about Ramsay. His own slim self-published book contains one of the best chapters on misdirection ever written, as well as at least half a dozen fantstic routines which I used to do all the time. Mostly not hard to do, with very simple and direct plots. My favourite is probably Do As Al Baker Did, a version of Do As I Do which uses a single pack of cards, is almost self working (one simple move), beautifully clean, and completely baffling to the average spectator. Well worth finding this book second hand, it's one of my all time favourites.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, IanLand wrote:
The mention of John Ramsay reminded me of Andrew Galloway's fantastic 1980 book, Diverting Card Magic. Galloway was Ramsay's only student, and the author of two books about Ramsay. His own slim self-published book contains one of the best chapters on misdirection ever written, as well as at least half a dozen fantstic routines which I used to do all the time. Mostly not hard to do, with very simple and direct plots. My favourite is probably Do As Al Baker Did, a version of Do As I Do which uses a single pack of cards, is almost self working (one simple move), beautifully clean, and completely baffling to the average spectator. Well worth finding this book second hand, it's one of my all time favourites.

Cheers Ian and I love these stories! I've always been a bit of an Anglophile - well more than a bit which is especially interesting since I am half "green" Irish and half Sicilian - and the UK has so many truly great magicians - not to mention the greatest band ever, The Beatles. Anyhow, I first came in contact with Andrew Galloway's magic in Pabular. I should probably start a similar thread in the coin section so I can talk about Andrew Galloways' Pegasus Coin. Smile
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Hi Vlad. I don't have Galloway's coin book, but that's just because I only do card magic, no other reason! I share your love of The Beatles Smile
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Pegasus coin is great!

And Mr. Galloway autographed my version ( bought directly from him) as well sent me a postcard of the Ramsay Gardens as they looked in Johns era. Smile

Very generous man!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, MagicofDesperado wrote:
Pegasus coin is great!

And Mr. Galloway autographed my version ( bought directly from him) as well sent me a postcard of the Ramsay Gardens as they looked in Johns era. Smile

Very generous man!

I'm jealous but In am also very happy for you! Andrew Galloway's magic is nothing short of superb. Man, how amazing would it have been to be a student of John Ramsay?! A departed friend of mine, John Blake, was mentored by Slydini and Frank Garcia. The tales he would tell were absolutely wonderful to hear.

I've written a lot that I am of the opinion that at least some American magicians have blinders when it comes to magicians across the pond. The UK has produced some true legends as has the Continent - Spain, The Netherlands, Germany, and France are especially fertile. Being an Anglophile however I am especially fond of studying magic from the UK. Whether I am paging through 5x5 Scotland, Pabular, The Magic Wand, The Gen, The Wizard, or even Ellis Stanton's MAGIC, I am in magic heaven. No knock on American magicians (or Canadians like Vernon), but, I would offer that more Americans know of Marlo than they know of Fred Robinson for instance. In my opinion, Fred Robinson is every bit as important to magic and as much of a legend as Ed Marlo yet it seems that Fred Robinson is not as well known. I've been badgering people for years to snag a copy of the Peter Duffie (another great) written book The Dave Campbell Legacy. I would vociferously argue that the genius of Dave Campbell ranks with America's best cardicians and that Dave Campbell is, I daresay, ESSENTIAL study.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
I've been badgering people for years to snag a copy of the Peter Duffie (another great) written book The Dave Campbell Legacy. I would vociferously argue that the genius of Dave Campbell ranks with America's best cardicians and that Dave Campbell is, I daresay, ESSENTIAL study.

This book will be on my "wanted" 2015 book but I've just bought 4 books (1 Vernon + 3 Hartman)so I have to wait a little bit...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2014, Jiceh wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
I've been badgering people for years to snag a copy of the Peter Duffie (another great) written book The Dave Campbell Legacy. I would vociferously argue that the genius of Dave Campbell ranks with America's best cardicians and that Dave Campbell is, I daresay, ESSENTIAL study.

This book will be on my "wanted" 2015 book but I've just bought 4 books (1 Vernon + 3 Hartman)so I have to wait a little bit...

Well done Jiceh; especially on the J.K. Hartman books! (No knock on Vernon of course, but, I'm always happy when people read Hartman).
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Unpacking my books from storage I notice I can't find my Jerry Hartman manuscripts (Means and Ends, Odd Lifts, Packet Magic etc). Did these ever get collected into a single volume? Means and Ends, in particular, is a tremendous book, and one I drew on a lot when devising my own routines.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Google answered my own question, looks like it was all collected in a book called Card Craft, now out of print and very expensive.
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
For Vlad (and others), another self-published UK book from 1980, Al Smith's Cards on Demand. Al is still active on the scene as far as I can tell, and has edited a number of magazines over the years (http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Al_Smith). Cards on Demand was his first book, I think. I always liked Al's approaches, which rarely required difficult sleights, but always gave due thought to the structure and flow of a routine, and emphasised natural and unfussy hand actions over flourishy technique. My favourite routine in this book is Combo, which Al himself admits is not startingly original, but which is an excellent five-part discovery and sandwich routine using four of a kind and a selection. A really solid combination of effects which are quite strong in isolation, but become something much more magical in sequence.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2014, IanLand wrote:
For Vlad (and others), another self-published UK book from 1980, Al Smith's Cards on Demand. Al is still active on the scene as far as I can tell, and has edited a number of magazines over the years (http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Al_Smith). Cards on Demand was his first book, I think. I always liked Al's approaches, which rarely required difficult sleights, but always gave due thought to the structure and flow of a routine, and emphasised natural and unfussy hand actions over flourishy technique. My favourite routine in this book is Combo, which Al himself admits is not startingly original, but which is an excellent five-part discovery and sandwich routine using four of a kind and a selection. A really solid combination of effects which are quite strong in isolation, but become something much more magical in sequence.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information! I will have to investigate. By your description, it seems his approach is similar to Al Leech, Stewart James, and Nick Trost. I THINK I have heard of him but I am going to dig around and also perhaps I'll find a way to contact him about purchasing his book.

Best,
Vlad
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
Looks like he's not on the internet. I found a thread on the Genii forum with his postal address, I'm sure if you mail him you'll get a reply
IanLand
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of IanLand
There's a copy on eBay at the moment: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cards-On-Demand-A......ebfe2a9e

Edit: ***, just noticed that listing has ended
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Great thread. Keep 'em coming!

Dartagnan
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, MagicofDesperado wrote:
Great thread. Keep 'em coming!

Dartagnan

Sure thing!

"The Memory Expert Outdone"
The Close Up Magic of Frank Garcia, part I

For many, this is pretty well known - at least the principle - but, that said, it is a strong "thing" if you run into that nasty person - usually drunk - who takes a card and refuses to return it to the pack and challenges you to identify it. But I like to take it further and I've created a routine around it and use it as a faux lightning memory routine. There is no sleight of hand and no set up but you do have to be able to think quickly. What I do is have the cards shuffled and state that I can memorize a deck in ten seconds. I have a speccy time me and I run through the cards and have her/him countdown from ten to zero. Then I have the spec take a card but I tell her/him not to look at the face and place it in a pocket, purse, someplace on an innocent bystander or whatever - the point being I don't want any of us to know the card. (And it's true, no forces, marks, or any nonsense). Then I remark that after memorizing a deck, I can actually re-visualize the memorized order and I have the pack shuffle again. There are many way to end, but what I do is explain that three cards will help me focus on my re-visualizing. Those three cards are placed face down. I then blurt out the name of the unseen card, and I'm correct. The three cards on the table are the three remaining mates to the unknown card. The basic principle is quite old actually and does not belong to Frank Garcia. In his "Today's Finding" thread in Secret Session, Hideo Kato cites a method from the March 1910 issue of Stanyon's Magic. It works a little differently but the principle is the same. I would guess that this predates Stanyon as well; I'll have to pull down - without getting a hernia - my L&L Stanyon's Magic and find out if Stanyon mentions a genesis for this.

Regardless, it's so old it's new again and I think that there really is a LOT one can do with this principle. Also, it's a POWERFUL thing for beginners still working on audience management.

I realize that Frank Garcia's books are very hard to acquire so I am asking for help here for the community. If anyone knows knows a resource more accessible for this or something similar, please cite it here? It must meet the conditions of no sleights, marks, forces, stooges (any of them Smile ) etc., in other words, the cards are shuffled by a spectator, a card is freely chosen, kept and the pack shuffled and you proceed to learn the identity of the missing card.

It might not seem like something strong, but, don't underestimate it. Smile
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The method (c***king the deck) is very taxing to do quickly and under pressure, that's why most modern versions of this trick are designed so that you have only half a deck (blacks or reds) to contend with.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Speak for yourself!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Claudio wrote:
The method (c***king the deck) is very taxing to do quickly and under pressure, that's why most modern versions of this trick are designed so that you have only half a deck (blacks or reds) to contend with.

All due respect paesano but I disagree at least in terms of presenting as a sort of faux memory effect. We can't get into a discussion of method HERE but we could meet up in Secret Sessions or PM and discuss our respective reasons. I know that Mr. Lorayne can actually memorize a deck so it doesn't surprise me me this faux method would be a piece of tiramisu for him. I suppose also for me Claudio, that since I don't present it as a "magic" routine, I can and do make the presentation more "studied" as though I am actually memorizing the deck.

I would only add that the "pressure" is many time the result of the performer's own anxiety - and I hasten to add that I'm not implying that is the case with you. Also, and this is just food for thought, if one is doing this at a Blackjack table from a large shoe and trying not to look like she/he is doing what he/she is not supposed to be doing, the pressure would be much greater.

Might I also suggest that "modern" methods were devised because some people simply do not want to put in the necessary work? Just for consideration look at how many versions of Paul Gertner's Unshuffled are out there which require little to no work at all. I would contend that Mr. Gertner's Unshuffled requires far more skill that the little bit of gymnastics required in Garcia's version of a very old method - at least for me as I still can't perfects 100 percent of the time which the Gertner routine requires.

Stage actors have to not only memorize lines but interpret them in character which in my estimation and experience is a hell of a lot harder than dealing with 52 cards; Shakespeare and Anton Chekhov are far more difficult.

That said, I would welcome a discussion where we can be more open, either in Secret Sessions or in PM. I mentioned Hideo Kato's discovery of Stanyon's method - which IMHO is a little more tricky - because if Hideo-san thought enough of it to cite it and discuss it and that man knows far more about magic than most of us, then certainly what I found in the Garcia book is worth a mention.

Newcomers who haven't honed their performance chops almost literally freeze when faced with a cantankerous speccy who refuses to replace the selection. Charles Hopkins' Outs, Precautions, and Challenges is the goto book that should be required reading, but, I really believe this is a practical solution as well.

I was thinking more of the difficulty of obtaining Garcia's work as it seems that whole estate thing will never be cleared up, so, later this week I am going to cite another way of dealing with the klootzak (I love using Dutch) spectator that Karl Fulves created and is easily obtainable.

(Of course, two in the back of the left ear IS an option too Smile ).

Best,
Vlad
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Hi Vlad,
thanks for the reminder of "The Memory Expert Outdone". It's really a little gem and very useful to have in one's toolbox. I just ran through it a couple of times and it took me a maximum of 40 seconds per run. Without prior practice, that is. So, it's not a very long-winded process at all. The mental gymnastics are pretty easy too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Discoveries (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL