The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Marked Tarot Deck (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
R. Steiner
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of R. Steiner
I wonder if anyone who has handled the cards can describe the actual quality of the cards. For example, what is the finish like? With a significant amount of use, I have found some cards are more prone to hold up much better than others depending on the quality of stock they're printed on and what type of finish they have.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a marked deck that’s about the size of regular playing cards? Thanks so much.
Twitter @darjames
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
IIRC Carnie Tarot is about that size. They're available at Gemini. You may want to reach out to Vic to confirm.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thank you so much, I’ll look into that
Twitter @darjames
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
The Carnie Tarot are a fair big bigger than a standard deck of cards, they are however, among the most useful and most beautiful props I own. I have several decks of aged and marked Tarot and these are, to my eye and for my purposes, the best. I posted a review of them a while back:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thank you for the reply and I must say I highly enjoyed your review. I did find a “playing card” sized version of the Crowley deck online which I will just end up marking myself. That being said, the carnie deck is absolutely stunning looking
Twitter @darjames
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2018, Jamie D wrote:
A playing card sized version of the Crowley deck online which I will just end up marking myself. That being said, the carnie deck is absolutely stunning looking

That's interesting. I have a vintage "marked" deck that I find too subtle to read, and have been considering trying to "mark it" myself.
I am curious if your marking system is from a book or manuscript, or of your own invention.
I'm not sure I would know how to go about inventing one.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Hi balzar,

I plan on marking just a few of them rather then the whole deck. I’ve done this before with a different set of tarot but never liked the first new I had marked
Twitter @darjames
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=221

Balzar, this may be what you are looking for.
MrPoponi
View Profile
New user
Brazil
93 Posts

Profile of MrPoponi
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, Jamie D wrote:
Hi balzar,

I plan on marking just a few of them rather then the whole deck. I’ve done this before with a different set of tarot but never liked the first new I had marked

Yes.
If the goal is take readings, we don´t need a fully marked deck. Just mark the three best and the three worst cards of the major arcana.
That's enough for readings.
But if the goal is make bizarre magic/Mentalism effects with the Taro deck, then it's another situation...
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, MrPoponi wrote:
Quote:
Hi balzar,

Yes.
If the goal is take readings, we don´t need a fully marked deck. Just mark the three best and the three worst cards of the major arcana.
But if the goal is make bizarre magic/Mentalism effects with the Taro deck, then it's another situation...

While I understand the utility of a marked tarot deck for bizarre and mentalism effects, how do you use this is a reading?
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
It's much smoother to tie the cards together if you aren't surprised.
MrPoponi
View Profile
New user
Brazil
93 Posts

Profile of MrPoponi
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, scottishpiper51 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, MrPoponi wrote:
Quote:
Hi balzar,

Yes.

While I understand the utility of a marked tarot deck for bizarre and mentalism effects, how do you use this is a reading?

There is a lot to be said about this, but...
There are basically two styles of reading.

1- The reading we first turned all the cards face up and then speak their meaning in the baby´s life.
2- The reading we say things before turning the cards face up.

For the second case, is advantageous to know if the next card will be very good or very bad, to have a better job of reading.
With the other cards there is no such serious commitment to speak things before turning them. Reading follows naturally and intuitively.

In the case of mentalism / bizarre magics that needs Taro Marked, the meaning of the presentation changes. For example, guessing a freely chosen card by the spectator, and other things in the same direction.

As I said, it is a subject that is not analyzed in a few words.
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

I see what you're saying, Schaff. I guess I find the "surprise" to be an integral part of the reading - not in the manner of a shut-eye, but more along the lines of the "irresistible illusion".
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Jamie D, greerj, MrPoponi, et al.
Thank you all for the excellent leads and suggestions.
It is very much appreciated!
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Thank you, MrPoponi, for your explanation. I've not tried reading in style 2, but I am interested. What are the reasons you would use style 2 versus style 1? Is there an advantage to speaking before the cards are turned?
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Hey guys, for what I’m doing is actually a pendulum routine I am working on. I plan on making just a few like scottishpiper51 mentioned. I received the “pocket sized” Crowley deck today and must say with the backs, it’s easy to mark without looking strange.
Twitter @darjames
MrPoponi
View Profile
New user
Brazil
93 Posts

Profile of MrPoponi
Both styles are good.
More important than style is you know how to conduct a reading efficiently.
In style 2, knowing a card before turning up, can allow you make predictions, choose the direction of the line that the card is, and more ...
Style 1 allows for various revelations as you converse with the consulent, and the surprises in reading appear through the understanding you assign.
(And, in this case, of course, not necessary the marked tarot)
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I’ve been working on readings but will admit, they are not my specialty do to lack of tarot reading experience. The one reason I came up with the routine was to actually practice working with the tarot yet always having an “out” regardless
Twitter @darjames
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Thank you, MrPoponi. That gives me a better understanding of the predictive nature of Style 2. I guess my persona leans more toward the conversational approach of Style 1. However, I can definitely see how a different persona or setting would prefer Style 2.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Marked Tarot Deck (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL