The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Homer Tate heads... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

october
View Profile
New user
Maine
6 Posts

Profile of october
Hello,

I'm looking for some information/advice...

I was at the flea market today, and acquired what
I believe to be two Homer Tate shrunken heads.
The woman I purchased them from, said they found them
wrapped up in the bottom of an old trunk.

I'm wondering if anyone can verify if they are indeed
Tates, and or point me in the direction of someone who
could assess their condition and value.

Thanks,

october

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was just 13 in the spring or '45, and met "Doc" Charles Fretz on the Skerbeck Carnival. Doc had a little pit show, and a SINGLE - O.

The Single was a Caesarean Birth "exhibit" in the back of a truck which also served as living quarters for Doc and his wife. The pit show was in a round top (with a rag banner line) and had a "conglomeration" of "exhibits": a two headed baby (Tate's) in a glass topped casket. a couple of big snakes, several small "illusions" (Disecto and an Abbott Square Circle) presented by a young man who was definitely not a magician! and a shrunken head which Doc told me was from Tate. The shrunken head strongly resembled the two in your picture. I would "bet" that yours are from Homer Tate.

Sorry, but, I have no idea of the current value! I haven't seen a pickled punk in years!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I've seen a few punks that need pickling Dick ;-)
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When Jay Marshall "conned" me into joining the Showmen's League, back about 1975, I attended a meeting with him at the League's club rooms in downtown Chicago.

Jay introduced me to the members (mostly carnival and circus owners and managers)and suggested that I "say a few words" to introduce myself.

I said that I had broken in the business on a rather low rung of the show business ladder. I followed that with: "I began as a pickled punk for Lou Dufour.

They laughed for a full minute! I was "duked in"!

See you on the next lot!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When Jay Marshall "conned" me into joining the Showmen's League, back about 1975, I attended a meeting with him at the League's club rooms in downtown Chicago.

Jay introduced me to the members (mostly carnival and circus owners and managers)and suggested that I "say a few words" to introduce myself.

I said that I had broken in the business on a rather low rung of the show business ladder. I followed that with: "I began as a pickled punk for Lou Dufour.

They laughed for a full minute! I was "duked in"!

See you on the next lot!
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Contact Keith Spurgeon.He's selling a bunch of Tate stuff at the moment:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mosby-Co-......96115558
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Yes, contact Keith and also Doug Higley. He might be able to shed some light on what you have there. http://grindshow.com/grindshow/shrine_of_homer_tate.html
october
View Profile
New user
Maine
6 Posts

Profile of october
Thanks!

Doug wasn't sure about the value,
And I did contact Keith, and he verified that they
are indeed Tate heads...

I'm excited to have made such a cool discovery
especially since they came from a lousy flea market
all the way up here in Maine.
I'm struggling with whether or not I should try to sell them, or keep
them and display them...
Thanks for all the replies!
october
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My answer to 'october' might of use to someone else as well:

"Nice one by Homer. This is very difficult to determine. Even last year some were being given away by family members. But that cache is now depleted as far as I know. I've seen them as low as $25 and as high as $100...but not lately...so honestly I have no idea...the market would be for those collectors 'in the know' and not the general public...so that comes down to what any given person is willing to pay to put it in their collection. Not a great answer I know but I don't keep up with such things anymore...but you might ask Mark Frierson (google him) he might have a better clue. As Tate Heads go though, this is a good example of his work."

The point being what IS the value of such finds? I'd like to know as well. I get an email maybe once per year asking. Smile
I use to have a nice collection in my hard top museum but they are long gone somewhere.
For those reading this thread who are new to the marvelous Mr. Tate...I built this page just for you. Smile
http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Shrine_Of_Homer_Tate.html

edit: oops...I just noticed Todd had already referenced this page...but I'll leave it. Thanks Todd. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
october
View Profile
New user
Maine
6 Posts

Profile of october
Thanks Doug!

That was actually my brother that emailed you, as he was blown away by that find!
I still can't believe it...
Hope you are doing well...

october
(Chris)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Homer Tate heads... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL