The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Showmanship (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
Hi, I was recently just watching magic performances on YouTube and I found some really good videos on showmanship and how to present magic and yourself as a magician. The three videos covered having authority as a magician, choosing the right spectator and an analysis on a close up magic performance. The channel also have some good tips on how to hold cards and elegance which as a beginner I found really useful. Here is the link to one of the videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcnA06-yVg You should be able to find the rest from there. Also I found a really good short ebook on misdirection which has given me some things to think about and change about my performance. http://info.magicshop.co.uk/understandin......ee-ebook I hope these resources help any newbies like me.
Otto
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Hi Otto!

You may also want to check out Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1258
This book will help take you that extra mile in maximizing your performance and upping your game.
Welcome aboard, and best of luck!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Did you write your letter to Father Christmas yet?

I don't remember if I suggested Ken Weber's book when I posted last month.

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Ken Weber's book is a must and would add Jeff McBride's The Show Doctor too.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I'll add to the voices suggesting Ken Weber's book Maximum Entertainment.

Many consider it to be the very best book there is about entertainment and showmanship and how to raise the level of your magic performance, and I have to agree. There's a wealth of material, tips, and advice, that comes from a man who has solid experience with magic as a craft, and sincerely wants to help his colleagues improve and grow. Especially if you are a working pro, this book is an absolute must read, and it deserves to be re-read many times. But almost every magician will find ideas here that will help them polish their performance, and increase the entertainment value of what they do.

Besides being available as a hard copy, it is also available for digital download as an audio book from Vanishing Inc Magic (here) for half the price of the book. As an extra bonus, the audio book includes an hour long interview and discussion with the author, interacting with the material and content of the book.

Highly, highly recommended! For more thoughts, see the detailed review I posted elsewhere on The Magic Café here:

Ender's Review: Maximum Entertainment (Ken Weber) - An essential book about getting maximum entertainment from every aspect of magic

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=661266

debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2014, Otto D wrote:
Hi, I was recently just watching magic performances on YouTube and I found some really good videos on showmanship and how to present magic and yourself as a magician. The three videos covered having authority as a magician, choosing the right spectator and an analysis on a close up magic performance. The channel also have some good tips on how to hold cards and elegance which as a beginner I found really useful. Here is the link to one of the videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcnA06-yVg You should be able to find the rest from there. Also I found a really good short ebook on misdirection which has given me some things to think about and change about my performance. http://info.magicshop.co.uk/understandin......ee-ebook I hope these resources help any newbies like me.
Otto

Thanks for these links. They do have some wonderful information Smile
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
The youtube link is saying unavailable.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Hey, jumping in on this. When I saw your recommendation, I started checking reviews, and read Ender's as well, and I don't know how I missed it. Ordering now, thanks for bringing that one back up.
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Just as an info for everybody interested in these theoretical things.
Considered a classic in these regards you can read Maskelyne's and Devant's "Our Magic" for free at:

https://archive.org/details/ourmagicartinmag00mask

Greetings,
Markus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Our Magic" is a trifle "dry", but it should be REQUIRED READING! for anyone who wishes to learn about ENTERTAINING (It's THAT GOOD!)
Ian.Adams
View Profile
New user
Southern California
8 Posts

Profile of Ian.Adams
When I was first learning magic my father bought me a copy of Our Magic as well as a number of other books on classical magic and insisted that I read them. Still grateful to this day. Just wish I still had those copies.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It sounds like you picked the right man to be your father!!!

Far too many of the young fellows, today, are only interested in the "latest & greatest"!

They remind me of the old Navy anecdote: A ship had left port, and had been at sea for several hours. A young lad, on his first voyage, and, an old veteran sailor, were standing at the ship's rail. The "first timer" exclaimed, "There sure is a lot of water out there!" The old sailor replied, "What you see is only the top of it."
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Ken and Bert Griffin's Book, "Illusion Show Know How"(Abbotts) has a bit about showmanship -stageing-dress-etc (plus there's an 1956 photo of my wife and self with our puppets-though we traveled with Ken & Bert as assistants, and a Vent. and Escape act.-GREAT experience-this was in early 1960's). WOW - Ralph & Anna Rousseau(russo)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think that what I'm going to tell about Ken Griffin, "happened" after you left the show.

Ken needed some young men, who could move the crates and trunks, as well as work onstage. He advertised, and got, young fellows who wanted to learn the business, to come on the show, AND PAY "TUITION" TO LEARN. Some of them went on to become professional performers. The Griffins and I got to be close friends, when we all stayed at the "CONKLIN YMCA" during Abbott's Get To Gethers". (Remember TOBY TYLER?)
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Only people I remember when with Ken & Bert - is Jack and Betty DeHolt- Havent heard from them for years. Jack was a comedy dancer, Jack and Betty were assistants like we were. Fun FunFun If you ave their book - did you find our Old(young) Picture??
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP! "Youse" were a "good lookin'" couple!

At that age, I was good lookin', too! (Of course, THAT was MY opinion!!!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Did you notice - at the time Blackstone JR. and I looked a little alike--maybe that's why Sr. kept refring to us as"B" Jr.getting-- a little conversational - should go back to P/Ms, and let the NEW ones have the floor --L-O-L
Ian.Adams
View Profile
New user
Southern California
8 Posts

Profile of Ian.Adams
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
It sounds like you picked the right man to be your father!!!

Far too many of the young fellows, today, are only interested in the "latest & greatest"!

They remind me of the old Navy anecdote: A ship had left port, and had been at sea for several hours. A young lad, on his first voyage, and, an old veteran sailor, were standing at the ship's rail. The "first timer" exclaimed, "There sure is a lot of water out there!" The old sailor replied, "What you see is only the top of it."

Yes, I've been pretty lucky on that front. My father didn't know anything about magic, but understood the importance of learning from the people who really mattered, something that works in any field.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Showmanship (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL