The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » The Origins of Pop Haydn's Persona (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn images available in a number of places online:

More here:

http://www.pinterest.com/pophaydn/pop-haydn/

and here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pop+hayd......cQ_AUoAg

So, yes, I am working to plant as much fake supporting evidence as possible. Smile

I like to think of it as peeing in the pool of knowledge...
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Certain spots of google have been feeling kind of warm lately. Smile
Reality is a real killjoy.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is only virtual warmth, Zach.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Hey Pop,

Thank you for the great insight into your character and it's development. It has been fascinating reading. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer our questions. Have you considered compiling your various internet articles into an "autobiography" of your Pop character and pitching that after your shows, alongside your magnetic water and elixirs? I can already see it, a collection of short stories detailing the Many Adventures of Pop Haydn, with each chapter being a new and exciting adventure.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Yes. We are working on a series of Dime Novels that we will sell online and at the shows. We have the Hard Rock Candy, Amazing Miracle Oil, and the Dime Novels. You can see some of the photos we took for the dime novels on my website.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I like the one of you riding the lion.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I'd like to add my thanks to Pop for sharing his thought process in developing his character.

As someone in a competitive market like NYC, I'm finding it hard to differentiate myself so inssight into the mind of a true master is incredible.

On a side note I checked out his website and what he has to say about magnetic fields, and magnetized water, is fascinating.
I spent most of yesterday following the links on his site. Truly amazing stuff.

And here I thought it was just snake water. Smile

Truly sincere thanks for that Mr. Haydn.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My pleasure. If anyone has questions about character and development of character I will be happy to talk about it.

As I said, this is a very unique approach, and one that would not suit most performers. I don't recommend it. But character study is always important, even when you are just playing yourself. It helps you to be at ease when performing or just talking with people afterwards because you know how to answer questions and deal with people because you know your backstory and who you are and what you are about.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You said in this thread that you are now pop all the time. Are you acting all the time, or Has your original self ceased to exist? Can you turn Pop off, an be Whit sometimes? I just can't imagine completely changing myself into a different person.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I haven't changed into a different person. My accent has changed. But the accent is more my own than the mid-western accent I assumed for thirty years. Being the real "me" is to be as honest as civility allows, and as unfiltered about my beliefs, opinions, and feelings as possible. I don't believe speaking in a different language or accent changes any of that.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Pop you are an inspiration! I have only recently become aware of your work, but I am most decidely a fan. Do you have any recommended resources for those wishing to explore character development? Also whose work inspires you?

Regards,

Brynmore
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Character development is best explored through mime and acting class. I have been influenced by many magicians, including Max Howard, The Great Blackstone, Chung Ling Soo, Duke Stern, Billy McComb, Terry Seabrooke, John Thompson and many others.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Pop,

I had certainly considered acting classes, but mime for character development I hadn't really considered. I can see how it would force you to exoress yourself through your physicality rather than through dialogue.

Thanks for the tip.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Mime helps us to break down our emotional reactions and follow a path of focused action. It is very good for clarifying your character's point of view and pointing out or making clear his intentions and actions.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I will join in the thanks for sharing as well Pop. It was your Pop character that drove the final nail in and made me pursue magic as a career (which is still a work in progress). It's the ability of your character to inject a fun, less serious, non pompous atmosphere into the event that I love. My own character (not my own personality) could be described as a loveable Aussie larrikin. He's dodgy, ambitious, resourceful and fun, well at least I hope he comes across that way. I've only performed him a few times now but have more gigs coming and so far he's been loved. I wouldn't dare to compare myself to you, but I have been inspired by Pop heavily. Your writing here has taken what I want to achieve to a new level already.

Dale (aka Davo)
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Great, Dale! It is fun. I think that the non pompous fun is the key. Not seeking approval and affirmation, but seeking play and fun and interaction.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I am so glad I approached Pop with the idea of creating this thread and that people have gotten so much out of it. Thank you for your wisdom, Pop! Smile
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:

So, yes, I am working to plant as much fake supporting evidence as possible. Smile

I like to think of it as peeing in the pool of knowledge...

hahaha, I missed this the first time I read the post
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
This thread needs a 'genius at work' label. Pop is one of the greatest magical character creations, up there with Chung Ling Soo, IMHO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » The Origins of Pop Haydn's Persona (81 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL