The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » The Origins of Pop Haydn's Persona (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Backstory isn't just about direction. The character lives in the story. As you imagine yourself into the story, you need to follow the details of the story that lead you into this scene--the events and details that bring you in front of this particular audience. Most performers neglect this important thing.

If an actor is portraying a surgeon who comes out of the Operating Room to give the family bad news, he doesn't just swing the doors open and enter the room. He needs to imagine the past ten minutes, losing the patient, cleaning his hands, thinking about what he will say to the parents, wondering what their reaction will be, taking a deep breath and preparing to face the next room as he pushes open the doors...This type of immersion is what makes the actor seem to be real and believable the moment he walks into the room.

In the same way, the magical character has to know why he is here before this audience and what he wants to accomplish.

This is part of how an actor prepares.

The detailed movement of the imagination from detail to detail of the fantasy is what makes the body react emotionally.

In the same way that an erotic fantasy can produce physical changes in the body, the actor fantasizes him/herself into a detailed, step by step image of the scene, and the body reacts with the appropriate sensations and realness of feelings. The actor cries real tears for an imagined event.

There is a past for the character, and that backstory is important to the character, but the immediate few minutes of backstory that lead into THIS scene--the performance--are what is most important.

How did you get here, why are you here, what do you expect, what do you want from this audience, what are you here to give them, what do you think they know about you, and what do you want to keep hidden--all these are important backstory and motivational questions.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
206 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Hey guys! I am digging up this old thread to suggest to anyone interested in hearing more of Pop's invaluable wisdom and experience surrounding character, acting, and showmanship in magic, to consider purchasing Pop's recently published lecture notes from his acting and character workshop.

The PDF is titled "On Acting and Magic".

Here is the link to purchase it: http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p66/On_Ac......oad.html

I cannot recommend this highly enough!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
These are studies for a series of Dime Novels featuring Pop Haydn as an adventure character. The Sphere of Destiny is the crystal Pop uses in his Q&A act:

Pop Haydn and the Sphere of Destiny

https://pophaydn.wordpress.com/2016/02/0......destiny/

Pop Haydn and the Vanishing Train

https://pophaydn.wordpress.com/2016/02/0......g-train/
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is a more than two-hour interview on this subject:

https://www.artofmagic.com/blogs/podcast......isode-57
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
567 Posts

Profile of Rook
I look forward to gleaning from this! Thanks for posting it!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Let me know what you think.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is the first in a series of one hour podcasts on magic theory. This one is on Magic and Story:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p112/MagicStory
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
206 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Thanks so much for posting these podcasts, Pop!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Did you find it helpful, Anand?
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
206 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Definitely!

I've been constructing a mentalism show and a key piece of the puzzle that I have struggled with is fully fleshing out my character, and the first podcast came at a great time.

As an actor myself, your thoughts on character/acting have helped me apply my experience in theater to magic. It's been a bit difficult to change my frame of mind from the format/context of stage productions to a magic show, but I think your advice has helped me in that process.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » The Origins of Pop Haydn's Persona (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL