The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Colombini DVD suggestion? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
In looking for packet trick or Nick Trost material at various online shops, I always find loads of Aldo Colombini DVDs listed. Though I usually prefer books to video, the prices are so attractive that I am going to add one to my next order. Any suggestions on where to start in his huge catalog? Anyone have a favorite?

Thanks for the guidance.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
All are very good. One of my favorites is the first Trost DVD. An excellent start for you, IMHO.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
In looking for packet trick or Nick Trost material at various online shops, I always find loads of Aldo Colombini DVDs listed. Though I usually prefer books to video, the prices are so attractive that I am going to add one to my next order. Any suggestions on where to start in his huge catalog? Anyone have a favorite?

Paul Hallas discusses Wild Colombini DVDs at some length in Still Small, Still Deadly. If you expect to spend a lot of money on packet tricks over the years, then I recommend you purchase that book (available as ebook on lybrary, maybe other places), and its predecessor Small But Deadly, which I think can still be found in hardcover. SBD is more a historical discussion of packet trick plots, and SSSD is more a survey of the current lay of the land. They will help you focus your thinking, and improve the quality of what you buy.
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Thanks for the input. I have read so many good opinions of the Hallas books that I will have to push them higher on my list. For now I guess I will take Atom's suggestion and just start at the beginning...after all, why would they name it "volume 1" if they wanted you to start somewhere else?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Joey, You have a great attitude!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I would suggest buying the dvds from Aldo's site. I'm sure his wife Rachel would appreciate it. You'll find the best selection there.

Two I would recommend are:
-Packet Trick Treasures
-Packet Trick Picks
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Packet trick or Nick Trost material and you prefer to read? Aaron gave excellent advice, but you could also look here for the Nick Trost books. Each volume contains a chapter explaining some of his packet effects.

http://www.magicbookshop.com/advanced_se......=11&y=11

Each of the Aldo DVD's contains 10 effects. AS for the Trost books, without counting effects in the books on his work I'd say each contains maybe 50 effects so price per effect is comparable. Aldo's DVD's ARE great value against other DVD's, though the DVD production is basic and I find them better watching on the computer. Aldo taught the effects well on his DVD's.

Nick and his packet effects are discussed in a chapter in "Small but Deadly" and whilst Aldo's packet trick DVD's are discussed in the follow up book "Still Small, Still Deadly" that chapter will not contain all as he was producing the DVD's so rapidly and no doubt there will be some came out among his many other DVD's after the book was published.

Personally, Trik Kards and Razzle Dazzle are my two favorites of Nick's packet trick work.

Best wishes,
Paul
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
Regarding Packet Tricks, I've only seen Packet Mania volume 1 by Cameron Francis.
Indeed, there's only a few effects on there, but the DVD's don't cost a lot. Most DVD's that will teach this kind of material will be more expensive.
And, I have to say, I really liked Troublemakers and Printing Aces. If it didn't say Cameron Francis on the cover, you'd swear it had come from John Bannon.
Also High Caliber by Bannon is an amazing read.

(I know this is not what you asked for, but still, could be helpful?)
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
The Aldo and Rachel Colombini Penguin Lecture is a good place to start, so you get a general idea of his style
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Colombini DVD suggestion? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL