The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What magnet for this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Having ditched the electromagnet idea, I now need to find (and find out how to find) the magnet I need.

The target is something like a 1/2 or 5/8 inch hex nut, either galvanized or SS, in the middle of a ball of clay about 2 inches in diameter. This will be sitting on top of about 1 1/2 inches of wood. And figure about 1/2 inch of air space. No other ferrous metal in between.

If everything between the magnet and the load is non-magnetic or non-ferrous, does it really matter if it's wood, plastic, fingers, or cloth?

I'd like to get something at the needed strength from say 3-5 inches, then have it drop off fairly quickly. Knowing that might not be possible, is it possible to attenuate or disperse the field to reduce the pull?

Ed
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Setting up the magnet you want will be easy, any strong magnet should do the job for you to move the clay wrapped hex nut. Dispersing or dropping off the field will not be. The best thing for you to do from your description is to arrange for the magnet to drop away, straight down. Going straight will prevent a tell tale wobble of the load as the magnet moves away. If it moves even a little sideways it will wobble the load and tip the gaff.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for the info, Cliff. The magnet will likely be mounted to a cylinder about the diameter of an oatmeal carton, so the movement away from top dead center will be out and down. The cylinder will be mounted underneath my table top, close to the front edge, and the ball in a plastic cup. Wouldn't mind if the load was pulled forward enough to walk the cup off the table edge to fall - but it would be a bit of a bummer if the magnet sucked the ball back under the lip of the table?

Ed
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I think you need to start experimenting. But don't use a SS nut because SS is not (usually) magnetic.
Jolyon Jenkins
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
SS is not magnetic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What magnet for this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL