The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What balls do you use for cups & balls? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
I have always used one inch crochet balls but recently I have switched to one inch homemade baseballs. I love those baseball's because they are easy to manipulate and 3 fit on my penguin cups at a time. I am interested in leather monkey fist but they seem like they would fall apart over time. Have you used the monkey fist and are they good? What balls do You use?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Made some mouseball core balls covered with yellow knit yarn.
Have a set of dear leather baseball pattern mouseball core too.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
That's new I have never heard of that before. Is the mouseball bouncy? About what size are they? I would imagine that deer leather would be easy to handle. I like making my own things thanks for the new idea. Which one do you prefer the yarn or the deer ball? The leather baseballs that I use are too bouncy I was looking for something that was still leather but not so bouncy. Thanks
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
A mouseball is the metal rubber covered ball that used to be in the old style computer mice. It might bounce off a rubber floor, lol. It will adhere to a magnet (eh? eh?). I prefer the yellow balls for visability. No noticable difference in handling.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
Oh one of those balls?! That's genius. That is a great idea. The baseballs that I use are really cc balls so one of them has a m***** and they only come in 2 packs. So I had to buy 4 sets because the gimmicked ones really like each other and love to attach and that is no good. Now you got me searching my closet looking for old mouses lol. Thanks for that awesome idea.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use balls made of felt. Since I primarily perform my cups and balls routine at Mediaeval and Renaissance Faires. I wanted something that wasn't as modern looking as crochet or mini baseballs.

I did use the traditional burnt cork balls for a while. but their visibility was less than desirable for a large crowd.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
Felt seems like it would be good. What is the core made of or is it all felt? Are they good on a close up pad? I seen a cc with a medieval type theme on it somewhere that would look cool for one of those Faires.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Mouse balls are heavy relative to the standard crochet balls. This is good for outdoor use. The downside is that they can be noisy if you're not careful.

I got a set from an electronics surplus store to try out. But at the end of the day, I prefer my set of yellow stingers crochet balls I got from RNT2
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I mostly use 7/8" crochetted balls from RNT2. I've also made my own monkey fist balls from cork centrers wrapped in various leather lace purchased at a fabric store. It's easy to make those into chop balls too. I've tried super balls but they bind against teh side of the cup and make some moves difficult. I have some smiley face super balls that would be cute in a routine that didn't require sliding the cups around.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I use a crochet set from Brett Sherwood. They have a rubber core so I believe they are more silent than cork. They feel awesome in regards to weight and handle great. 3 will nest and present very well with the cups I use. Great customer service. Well worth the extra money.

http://www.sherwoodmagic.com/
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I made my own monkey fists.

How do you make your own mini baseballs?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
Crochet balls are the standard and they are great. Personally I can't use 7/8 balls. They are too small. It is probably because I have used one inch for so long. When I got my new copper cups a couple of months ago they came with 7/8 balls but I just could not use them. I have heard Brett Sherwood had quality balls but I haven't tried them yet.

I did find one old mouse and I got the ball out and you are right, they are too heavy for me. The size is good but I don't think I could use them.

BeThePlunk do you like the monkey fist and do you use them?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, yin_howe wrote:

Hi, I wish I was talented enough to make my own baseballs. I went to Michael Ammars website and all of his baseballs were sold out. Penguin has them in white, blue and red I got them in red. The problem, as I stated above, they are for chop cups so one of them is gimmicked. If you want to use them you have to purchase 4 sets of 2 at $20 a set! Expensive but they really are great.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:

Cut out the pattern in whatever material and sew 'em up!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Baseballs -- You can find how to make a pattern online for whatever size you have in mind. I've never tried that.

Monkey Fists -- I use them only when the rough hand-made look fits the theme of the routine. So, mostly I use RNT2 balls and tend to favor ones crochetted with shiny metallic threads. I like the bright look and they're easier to grab with Al Schneider inspired sleights.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think it depends on your presentation. I really like the baseballs, especially with a baseball theme presentation.

KJ
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, Eliminationsequence81 wrote:
Quote:

Hi, I wish I was talented enough to make my own baseballs. I went to Michael Ammars website and all of his baseballs were sold out. Penguin has them in white, blue and red I got them in red. The problem, as I stated above, they are for chop cups so one of them is gimmicked. If you want to use them you have to purchase 4 sets of 2 at $20 a set! Expensive but they really are great.

In your original post you mentioned 'homemade' baseballs, I thought you meant you made them yourself. haha
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:

Monkey Fists -- I use them only when the rough hand-made look fits the theme of the routine. So, mostly I use RNT2 balls and tend to favor ones crochetted with shiny metallic threads. I like the bright look and they're easier to grab with Al Schneider inspired sleights.

I agree crochet balls with shiny thread looks nicest and have some grip. As mentioned, it depends on the look you are projecting, e.g. mini baseballs/mini tennis balls/monkey fists for outdoors, crochet metallic balls to go with the Sherwood cups etc.

But just to show, monkey fists doesn't necessarily need to look 'rough' Smile (the nylon cord does make it more slippery though)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
Quote:

In your original post you mentioned 'homemade' baseballs, I thought you meant you made them yourself. haha

lol I'm sorry that is my fault for not being clear. The are sold with the name homemade mini baseballs. Apparently someone makes them at home but I do not. Sorry for the confusion.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
I use a baseball theme with mini baseballs and 2.5" final load baseballs. I would like to figure out how, with the fourth final, to have a small pile of infield dirt appear! I seen Suzanne's c&b routine where she produced a pile of little diamonds. I'm sure it is the same principle I just have to figure it out. That would definitely bring my c&b to a whole other level.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What balls do you use for cups & balls? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL