The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dye Tube for the street (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, mtpascoe wrote:
Julie, is there a video clip of this?

--------------------------------------

I don't know, I'm not much of a computer person. I do know he has DVD's. His current work is much more deceptive than the Eclipse and that's saying something!

Julie
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My new video on the Color-Changing Handkerchief:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p76/New%2......DVD.html
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have done Billy McCombs routine (actually just the half dyed hank not his "routine") for years. I use the set he gave me, they were a set he made himself just before he opted to let Abbotts manufacture his routine. The gaffs they made were very good and very close to the original.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Billy's gaffs were made from Ronsonol butane cans. They are way bigger than necessary for the Color-Changing Scarf with 18" scarves. They were designed to take most of one 18" and all of the other, in order to accommodate the scarves for the change, and the two fingers deep into the tube for the move. The "palmo" style gimmick is much more efficient for the color-changing scarves.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
Billy's gaffs were made from Ronsonol butane cans. They are way bigger than necessary for the Color-Changing Scarf with 18" scarves. They were designed to take most of one 18" and all of the other, in order to accommodate the scarves for the change, and the two fingers deep into the tube for the move. The "palmo" style gimmick is much more efficient for the color-changing scarves.

Yes I think I am a victim of what I'm used to. I can't imagine using anything else for the routine though. That's exactly what mine are made from. The abbots size is a tad bit smaller and the metal is a bit thicker. I'm not sure about the "Palmo" but with these you actually have to seperate the fingers a bit to get the grip to remove it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Palmo style gimmicks have a lip that you can engage with just one finger.

This is the Jim Riser gimmick for the 24" scarves made exclusively for my routine, and which we sell on our website:

These would only work with 18" scarves for the McComb routine.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
FWIW... I published my routine for the color changing silk in my book. It involves a "mild" sucker bit, and has a built in applause cue at the finish.

Senor MARDO "duked me in" to the handling in Bob Stull's Shop in San Francisco, in 1947. I've done it ever since. It became my opener about 45 years ago. If I were busking, I would use it to open the act (after grabbing a tip. --creating an edge is a new term for me!) It runs about 3 minutes.

I like the traditional dy t*be, but it can be done with a palmo. I use 18" silks.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I can certainly see the draw these have. They are a very nice design and would certainly be a benefit in the routine. I may have to think about giving them a try are the aluminum or copper?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
They are spun aluminum. There is a free pdf with photos on my site:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p67/Jim_R......%21.html

BTW We have a 15% off sale until Sept 7th on all orders over $10. Just use the coupon code: School

We also have the Color-Changing Handkerchief as a $10 downloadable video:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p75/NEW%2......deo.html
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Pop, thanks so much for the great info and for the great sale. I'm a big fan of the Palmo so I can't wait to try out this larger tube.

Bruce
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Smile Let us know what you think!

BTW, we only had a run of a hundred Dye Tubes. I don't know if Jim is going to do another run or not, but I don't think he will.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I received Pop's dye tube today (prompt shipping from California) and I love it! It's beautifully machined and the size is fantastic--it is brilliant. I know--it's just a dye tube, but what a fantastic size. The only thing missing is Pop's autograph on the gimmick. My compliments also to Jim Riser for his craftsmanship. If you haven't ordered yours yet, I'd get on that immediately, if not sooner.

Bruce
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I actually like the old chameleon silk routine with three colors - 9" I think? But I'd like to do it with whatever gimmick and slightly larger silks I could get away with. I'm not sure what would work or how big I could go with the silks. Ideas?
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, writeall wrote:
I actually like the old chameleon silk routine with three colors - 9" I think? But I'd like to do it with whatever gimmick and slightly larger silks I could get away with. I'm not sure what would work or how big I could go with the silks. Ideas?

I used a routine with fish that were made of silk for a few shows years back. It was the same type routine as the chameleon silks. It's used a dye tube that was covered in a lifesavers wrapper and used a popcorn box to vanish the silk fish. The size of the fish were easily 12 inches so I guess any size would work. It really has to do with you dye tube size I suppose. The truly nice thing about the smaller one is that it takes up so little space but still can be seen pretty far away. Which is really why magicians began using silks for magic to begin with I'm sure.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, bigfoot wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, writeall wrote:

I used a routine with fish that were made of silk for a few shows years back. It was the same type routine as the chameleon silks. It's used a dye tube that was covered in a lifesavers wrapper and used a popcorn box to vanish the silk fish. The size of the fish were easily 12 inches so I guess any size would work. It really has to do with you dye tube size I suppose. The truly nice thing about the smaller one is that it takes up so little space but still can be seen pretty far away. Which is really why magicians began using silks for magic to begin with I'm sure.

I thought I knew this, but maybe not. I thought the dye tube was used with something like rolled paper shown empty and then used on the silks. Whereas in the Chameleon silks, the handling shows the hands constantly empty -- in essense, the hands take the place of the rolled paper. Is the gimmick in the Chameleon silks called a "dye tube" as well?

In any case, my problem is in increasing the size of the hidden tube to allow for larger silks and retaining all the standard moves which keep the gimmick hidden. I thought I might buy some larger silks and then make the tube to fit, but I don't really know what size I can get away with. At any one time, the tube holds two silks, and it has to fit into the closed fist. The one you get with the original trick is pretty small, so there's room to expand, but how much?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I suspect to get two silks in the gimmick at one time, you would have to use 18" silks. A 24" silk gimmick, holding only one silk, will more than fill your hand.

To do the McComb half-dyed hank with the larger gimmick, I have to use 18" scarves. I suspect it would be the same with the Chameleon Silks. The moves with the larger gimmicks would have to be different from the Chameleon Silk handling.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I suspect to get two silks in the gimmick at one time, you would have to use 18" silks. A 24" silk gimmick, holding only one silk, will more than fill your hand.

To do the McComb half-dyed hank with the larger gimmick, I have to use 18" scarves. I suspect it would be the same with the Chameleon Silks. The moves with the larger gimmicks would have to be different from the Chameleon Silk handling.

Thanks. I do like the moves though. Time to start experimenting I guess. Maybe 12s or 15s will work.

It's funny how we get bonded to some trick we did when we first started.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Here is a nice performance of the color changing silk by George Millward. You can buy his dye tubes and other fine items HERE.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I use a dye tube on the street, in na adapted misers dream/benson bowl routine http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kY8V_u4Xi8 I use an old Johnson's Dye Tube ,don't think they are available any more. I had several so just fix them up. I'm sure plenty others will do the trick. I can vanish 3 2" soft or 3 1" in firm sponge balls in and produce a 12" regular or 18" diamond cut silk out the other end.
also overcame wind issues using sponge balls in my windy beach area. p/m if interested in that.
cheers
Nala
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I use a dye tube on the street, in na adapted misers dream/benson bowl routine http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kY8V_u4Xi8 I use an old Johnson's Dye Tube ,don't think they are available any more. I had several so just fix them up. I'm sure plenty others will do the trick. I can vanish 3 2" soft or 3 1" in firm sponge balls in and produce a 12" regular or 18" diamond cut silk out the other end.
also overcame wind issues using sponge balls in my windy beach area. p/m if interested in that.
cheers
Nala

thank you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dye Tube for the street (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL