The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I do sponge balls.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I have always enjoyed sponge balls - and the audience seems to enjoy them too - a good combination when we both are enjoying ourselves Smile

And I have mentioned on other sponge ball topics that here in the Philippines many of what we think of as old or classic effects are brand new. I am perfoming them for people who have never seen them before. Quite fun.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I do sponge balls.

There ya go! Bravo! Smile

I have a set of 2 inch red Goshman SuperSofts, but I like being different. Blue J Surprise seems to tell a better story. It's classy. It's really geared for women, but it's played strong for men and kids too! The Sponge Bunnies are my next choice. I need a good set. Eddie Ace has been carving custom sponge for magician's for many years. His sponge rabbits are the best! These:

http://www.thecuckoosnest.com/zencart/ze......_id=5892

Doug
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dougini,

I think there is nothing better than Daryl's sponge rabbit/bird. They aren't sophisticated sponge carvings, but they really lend themselves to unique magic. These are about the only ones I use. I love doing the "what would you like for me to produce? the bunny, or the bird?" It plays well for adults and kids and they both enjoy it on different levels.

KJ
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, BeThePlunk wrote:
Hi, Theodore -- Not to stray too far from the OP's question, but do you think that a Merlin-character magician (for an example), who uses antique and arcane props and who mumbles spells in dead languages, could still make use of sponge balls? Without knowing the OP, isn't it possible that sponge rubber is just out of place in some contexts? Maybe you still disagree. Your posts always reflct you experience and sharp insight, so I'm ready to learn a bit more on this topic -- and maybe help the OP as well. David

Good questions David. I can see your point about Merlin type characters. I could also see a Merlin character using actual sea sponge to be period correct. In fact, that would be pretty cool. Smile And there are sponge eggs, doves, frogs, etc... And who says that Merlin couldn't summon up some magical little squishy balls? lol If he's a creative magician he could have an entertaining story behind it.

I'm sure sponge isn't for everybody, it's just that I'm baffled by the sheer amount of times I hear people use this "style" excuse for one of the best props you can use to entertain people.

And there are lots of options in the sponge world besides balls. I have a hard time seeing how it could be out of place. I've used them at fancy corporate events and realized that people are people no matter the function they are at, they are not too stuffy to look down upon my cute little bunnies that multiply in their hands; in fact, they love them. Kids love them, corporate lawyers love them, old people love them. I once used the bunnies with and old man at the VA hospital- the only time I've used sponge with a hospital patient, it's a health issue- and his friend across the hall said it was the first time he'd ever seen him smile and laugh.

All I'm saying is- give it some real serious thought before you chock it up to "style" as your reason for not using such an awesome prop. It may seem like childish magic (how's that for an oxymoron?), but if you want to do magic that causes people to laugh, be amazed and be entertained it's one of the best things out there. In my restaurant work there were certain things I always used because they were guaranteed workers. I would always look super professional in a nice suit and tie, people thought I was the owner or manager before explaining who I was and what I was there for. And along with doing chop cup, C/S/B, ACR to wallet and other great tricks, nobody ever questioned my use of spongeballs or bunnies. They just go with it. You are taking them on a journey and they are willing to experience whatever you have to show them as long as it's entertaining and amazing.

No, I'm not saying you HAVE to use spongeballs. Refer to Dick's insightful post above. I'm just asking, why wouldn't you? Is your "style" really that prohibitive? Isn't there some way you can work in one of the greatest props in magic for close up work? People really love sponge magic, why not find a way to do what they like, get the laughs, the applause and make some of the money? Yeah, you can achieve this without the spongeballs, but why WOULD you?

There, I got that out of my system. Now when I see someone say spongeballs don't fit their style I can link them this thread. Smile

Smile

Theodore- spongeball advocate

Yeah exactly, there seems to be a common misconception that spongeballs are just for kids, or that they lack entertainment value or are too simple etc. WRONG! In fact the opposite is true, spongeballs kill because they are simple in form and easy to understand. It was a spongeball routine that actually got me into magic 34 years ago as a kid as I had no idea how the magician made the spongeballs multiply, vanish, appear, and what really floored me was when he made them appear in my hand! That moment is what started my lifelong magic journey, and little did I know that I would be doing that same routine for over three decades for all ages.

Kids love them, and elderly love them but so do all the ages in between. I also use the 3D rabbits which people love. They are colorful, and as stated already "classy" especially if they are bright and clean. I always use clean new ones. I have seen magicians use some old, dirty, dull nasty ones which is not as good or as visually appealing. But everyone loves them and can relate to a ball.

My buddy Ben Salinas does a great job on the DVD "The Encyclopedia of Spongeball Magic" which is a great introductory course and reference guide. So I am not sure what "style" spongeballs would not fit into. It would seem to me that the more creative and versatile that one is they can make anything work. But it is also important that you enjoy it. Otherwise it will be a chore for you to do and your audience may catch on. Because when you enjoy what you do it shows, and others will enjoy it as well. It is not just about the audience as some say, and you should not torture yourself doing tricks just because you think you are making them happy. Your performance will suffer if you do that, as will your motivation to keep doing it. But when you are passionate about what you do it shows, and others will appreciate it even more.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you like the idea of being different, go to Google Images and type in Eddie Ace sponge carvings. Look at the rabbits, chickens and penguins! Teddy bears, turtles and kangaroos! Here are a few I like, plus Bone Appetit.:

http://www.tabmantables.com/spongemagic.html

Try and find Eddie's Smokey Bear set and routine. That's a good one! Plus look for his Sponge Gremlins! I'll put a pic up for ya!

Click here to view attached image.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dougini,

Wow! I had never seen these! I just purchased the Tortoise to Hare. These are museum pieces. Thanks for sharing!

KJ
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My pleasure. They are getting kinda scarce. They are my choice sponges though.

Doug
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
89 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
Sponge balls are fun and after reading some of the posts here I still think that these are more versatile than some people think.
You can for sure do some mentalism with them and I really would love to see a big stage act with giant sponge balls. Smile
As for me I used them for shows but always found them to fragile and hard in maintance to keep them on me for everyday impromptu situations.
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
2. Mentalists do mentalism. That again is not a "style," that is a whole separate genre of entertainment. I would never expect a mentalist to use spongeballs, or coins, or Bicycle playing cards. If someone bills themselves as a mentalist I wouldn't expect to see any of these things. I would expect to see book tests and cards with esp symbols and tricks involving center tears, etc.

There are quite some mentalists using cards and coins in their presentations.
And you won't ever see mentalists doing tricks.
-

Prometheus
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, Ollie wrote:
How many of you perform sponge balls? it doesn't really fit my style but it seems the reactions are always insane. Do you think I should learn a solid sponge ball routine?

Some tricks can be done with paper balls, like napkins. You could learn some. I like them more, I think it is more "real" and I like impromptu magic.
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
Well you can try to incorporate sponge into your trick line up but if you don't like it don't do it
have fun with magic or just find a sponge trick you like the color change is a fun trick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I guess it's my turn at bat!

First, I'll contribute a few thoughts. Sponge balls are PROPS. IMO, they're no more childish than 12" silks. (There's a difference between CHILDISH, and CHILDLIKE!) I hope that I'm never too old to pet a puppy or a kitten.

When I started using sponge balls,in the mid 1940s, I went to the dime store (!) and bought a bath sponge. It was about the size of half a brick. It was dark red, and somewhat resembled a chunk of Swiss cheese. I cut off a chunk and then, using manicure scissors, I trimmed off all the 'corners' until it was somewhat ball shaped. I repeated the process, and I had a pair of sponge "balls".

I used a simple pair of sponge balls in my high school program for years, and, they always got laughs and applause. When my friend, Al Goshman developed a technique to make nice ROUND balls, each of which were "very much like the other", I nearly tore my underwear getting out my wallet!

Like friend Lawton, I've used them for both men and women, boys and girls. Admittedly, the female of the species, usually reacts more than the male, but guys do appreciate them. Possibly, it's the tactile sensation!

So, I repeat my comment at the other end of this thread: NO! Don't do sponge balls! Let ME do them. I like the laughs and applause!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I also cut my own out of a sponge as a kid before I had money to order them, and I am very crafty and artistic so it was not that hard. But I loved it when I got my first official set. People love when the rabbits multiply in their hand, especially girls and kids but a lot of males also love them too. Some just try and hind it. Smile They also love the growing spongeball.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Although I don't use them very often anymore, I think sponge balls is something most new magicians should learn. They are easy to carry around and get surprisingly good reactions. More importantly they are relatively easy to do and just plain fun! I don't think they are just for kids, I can get big smiles from adults most every time.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2015, Ollie wrote:
How many of you perform sponge balls? it doesn't really fit my style but it seems the reactions are always insane. Do you think I should learn a solid sponge ball routine?

Simple, if it doesn't fit your style don't do it. But make sure it is your style that is causing this choice and not just some negative view toward sponge balls. As you said, "reactions are always insane". There is a reason for these reactions. Reactions like that are why I do magic. But I won't do magic that I don't enjoy. I do enjoy sponge balls.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Some sponge routines really raise the bar over the standard. Blue J Surprise being just one. What, there was..."Cloned", wasn't there? And Chicago Ball Trick?

Doug
JonathanB
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
67 Posts

Profile of JonathanB
I've just ordered a set of balls and am going to look at the Mark Wilson routine in the Complete Course book... hoping I'll have more success with this as a beginner than with coins! Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
SHEESH! POP!

See what happens when a couple of guys confess to using those dumb sponge ball things!

Now, all these new guys will start doing them. Hekk! There goes half of my act!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL