The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Block of Ice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
I have been working on a routine where a banknote ends up in the middle of a block of ice. I now have the method.

I would be delighted to hear any presentational ideas. I do have some thoughts, but for now ... Please ...

Anything to get the creative juices flowing!
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
You could say something about frozen assets then literally bring out a frozen asset Smile
A. Mark Wilson
Necromance
View Profile
New user
Pattingham, UK
53 Posts

Profile of Necromance
Instead of using a banknote, what about having a signed card. Then show your Bicycle Pack and cover up the "B" to make "icycle". Then shake the block of ice from the packet. Don't know if this will work because I don't actually now the secret to this trick.

P.S. Got this idea from "Astounding Celebrities" so can't take any credit
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic-Arthur C. Clarke
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced-probably NOT Arthur C. Clarke
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Thanks for the ideas.

Necromance, I happened to see that episode of Astounding Celebrities just last night. I believe he used a combination of the intercessor and Ammar's "The Iceman Cometh". I like the 'Bicycle - Icycle' tie up, it presents a reason for the ice - however tenuous.
I am keen to use a banknote for the added convincer of matching serial numbers.

Presentation wise, I am searching for that 'tenuous link' to a block of ice.

Any thoughts, however daft ... please share!

Giles
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
In 1996 Brain Brushwood and I presented ICE. A marked, serial number identified bill to block of ice which was on full view the entire performance. The bill NEVER leaves the sight of the audience from the moment it is handed to you until it is destroyed or transformed.

The method of identifying and handling the bill, which was my creation, to allow for this impossibility was written up in "Theory and Practice, a lecture." Two copies remain.

While our routine justified the ice, I don;t feel at liberty to share it. I will however offer a suggestion which informed the work:

In working with Ammar on the Money tapes, we discussed the idea of congruence in a bill to impossible location routine. The idea of destroying something to have it appear somewhere impossible just doesn;t make sense. So, a thread must be created.

For example, the bill changes to loose tobacco in the hands and the bill is found in a cigarette.

I think if you apply this to the ice concept you can create a routine which has a degree of congruence to it.
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Ammar? I'm confused. I thought The Iceman Cometh was Luke Jermay's.

As far as answering your question goes, what about making up a little story about how the government froze the assets of a big time embezzler? You could lead up to the block of ice with a couple vanishes and reappearances of the banknote, perhaps; talk about how the embezzler made the company think they had the money when they really didn't, etc. Then the embezzler finds out that he doesn't have the money, that it's been frozen, and he knows he's been caught.

Does this work for you?
Giles
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Giles
Truthteller,
I agree wholeheartedly about creating congruence in any impossible location routine. Thankyou, most kindly, for your suggestions. You mention:
The idea of destroying something to have it appear somewhere impossible just doesn't make sense. So, a thread must be created.

Admittedly, I had overlooked the idea of a "Transposition". I am routining it as a straight forward "Teleportation" effect. I think this can work. In all honesty, my original reason for wanting to use a block of ice is just too corny. The patter, analogies and symbolism sounded fine in my head, but out loud - it doesn't work!

Having, on a few experimental occasions performed this. The image of bringing out a large block of ice and having it smashed up is SO powerful, I feel bound to explore it further. You have clarified my desire - that the production of said block of ice, doesn't seem random.

Webhead93 and Silverfire9,
I really like the 'frozen asset' connection. How else could you link money to a block of ice so succinctly and humourously? I think this is great. I may give it a go, though, my performance style is quite serious, so I probably couldn't pull it off.

Thankyou all for your thoughts.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Truth Teller'

I believe the concept you are discussing is an essential factor in creating a convincing, and above all logical effect in the spectatore minds.

It is the same thinking that is evident in Ammars Bill to Nut routine on the money tapes, where the dollar vanishes and is replaced by the raw insides of the peanut prior to being found inside the shell.

This adds continuity, logic, and credibility to the effect in question.

I think we should all strive to apply it to our routines as often as possible.

Magic would be better if we did.

IMHO
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I thought that was the name of a play.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Have alook at Luke Jermays Building Blocks, to see exactly how you have this effect happen.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Block of Ice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL