The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cartomancy by Luke Jermay. (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
As it is written/designed it is not suitable for one-on-one. It is created with stage performance in mind. Every phase is designed to involve multiple participants.

And you cannot just grab Amy deck of cards and be ready to go. Some special preparation is required.

This isn't to say you couldn't adapt some of the ideas for close up, or that you couldn't recreate the effects using sl****ts and other techniques.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
drewslee1994
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of drewslee1994
Do you think it would be possible to combine some of Luke Jermay's The Three Types with this effect?
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
I wouldn't see how that would work, because one is a billetless effect and the other is not. Perhaps with a fair amount of tweaking, but not without work.
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, MatCult wrote:
As it is written/designed it is not suitable for one-on-one. It is created with stage performance in mind. Every phase is designed to involve multiple participants.

And you cannot just grab Amy deck of cards and be ready to go. Some special preparation is required.

This isn't to say you couldn't adapt some of the ideas for close up, or that you couldn't recreate the effects using sl****ts and other techniques.

Thanks for the clarification! Smile
May you live in interesting times.
drewslee1994
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of drewslee1994
If I wanted to learn his Q&A. Would it be better for me to get this or his DVD set?
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
His DVD set. I have not seen the DVD set so I cannot say for certain but if I recall correctly, I believe that the DVD set has more content on classic Q&A, as opposed to the billetless Q&A discussed in cartomancy.

Oli
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I know I've mentioned it before, but most of the country stopped using the word "parlor" because it had become associated with funeral parlors. (Originally, the deceased were "waked" in the parlor of their home- that's how funeral parlors got their name.)

But beginning round about the 1940's, when most wakes were then being conducted in funeral homes, home builders started calling the room a "living" room to remove the association with death.

Except in Boston, apparently, where I guess they still hold Irish wakes just like in the old days. Smile
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
The only "parlor" I ever work these days is the "Parlour of Prestidigitation" at the Magic Castle. I don't know anyone who has a parlor in their home anymore. Most people now call them living rooms.

What do people call "parlor" venues nowadays? I never thought it meant in someone's home. I assumed it was a small venue with 20 - 50 people and a performance area which was not quite a stage, but very close proximity to your audience. A kind of in between stage and close up.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Life isn't binary. It's not 'either / or'.

If you can't read between the lines of comments said by LJ, or anyone else, you'll have problems.

If you can't see who his comments were aimed at, perhaps you shouldn't be doing any readings at all, if you can't gauge what he's really saying.

It doesn't take a mind reader to sus it out.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, MatCult wrote:
One time, on stage, Slim said he was called Jake Blues. But now he says he's called Professor Slim King. They can't both be true?!?! Head asplode.

I think there needs to be a recall!

Seriously, this thread (and by this thread I mean Slims parts in it) is ridiculous.
The whole recall thing is idiotic, it's not a car or a safety hazard it's a performance piece put out by a younger man in a different time in his life and it (as a piece of art) now belongs to the world, no recall or refund needed. I suspect that no one will loose any sleep if you don't buy this.
Tony's perspective on this is very fair, IMO.

I'll say this, I sent Luke Jermay my "book" (I have to put those quotes because it's not a real book, just a short .pdf!) and he was very nice and complimentary about it. I don't think that anyone with a deep seated hatred of readers would enjoy any of my "books." I believe (though I could be wrong) that Luke Jermay and Jerome Finley are friends, again no one who considers all readers to be scum will be hanging out with Jerome!

This thread has been so derailed it's ridiculous, which is too bad because I would like to see an actual back and forth discussion of the product.
I read the first part of it (the detailed description from the audiences point of view) and liked it, there was a lot of food for thought for me and some great ideas I had never thought of. I haven't read the "how to" details in depth yet because, while very interesting looking, they are bit different from my preferred mode. that being said, and in the interest of getting some more discussion of the actual book up here (!), I'm going to try to make a point of doing a true read through and discussing.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
C-dawg,

We know once you have read through it you will see how Cartomancy works, and perhaps create your own vehicles for achieving a similar result.

Tom
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
themaurie
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of themaurie
Super intrigued by this and eagerly awaiting reviews. So curious! The rantings and ramblings make me want to get it even more.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Please, allow me:

A), other than those buying this because they are fans of Lukes, does it provide you with hat you wanted?
B), how does it actually compare to Docc's PMCA, for the money?
C), is the e-book previously mentioned the same one as Docc includes in his package?
D), how is it that Luke can sell a routine, wherein the advert it says that to do it you *also* need an I deck, an S deck, a B backed deck...so then I am paying for his thoughts/routine using other props as well as his own?

And E), is it really a Q&A, or is it more of the Kreskin-esque message reading act? Or, I guess, are the Q's random from the audience (real Q's) or planted/brought up in the act/conversation?

I simply don't want to waste my money...

Lee
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
189 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Wow, this thread suddenly got a lot "slimmer". I'm glad it did so we can get back to the original topic.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, it's refreshing to be back on topic.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, espmagic wrote:
Please, allow me:

A), other than those buying this because they are fans of Lukes, does it provide you with hat you wanted?
B), how does it actually compare to Docc's PMCA, for the money?
C), is the e-book previously mentioned the same one as Docc includes in his package?
D), how is it that Luke can sell a routine, wherein the advert it says that to do it you *also* need an I deck, an S deck, a B backed deck...so then I am paying for his thoughts/routine using other props as well as his own?

And E), is it really a Q&A, or is it more of the Kreskin-esque message reading act? Or, I guess, are the Q's random from the audience (real Q's) or planted/brought up in the act/conversation?

I simply don't want to waste my money...

Lee

A - I like it. I have recently become a bit of a fan of Luke's thinking. I won't use it as it is written, but I am working on ways to adapt some of the thinking to my own performances. I got what I wanted from it, which is food for thought. But what I want from it and what you want from it may be wildly different things.
B - It is different to Docc's act. But I don't fully understand what you mean by "how does it compare for the money".
C - Not sure which ebook you mean, so cannot help you there.
D - Don't understand the question. Lots of DVDs or books teach routines that use gaffs and gimmicks. Yes, you are paying for his thoughts - same as you are paying for any author's thoughts when you buy their products.
E - From my previous post: This is a certain type of Q&A. It is b****tless in nature and uses no p**-**** technique. The content is closer to the psychic style platform reading, wherein a person's personality and path through life is discussed, rather than what Bob Cassidy labels the "Dunninger/Kreskin approach", whereby the mentalist reveals names, social security numbers and other informational 'hits'. That said, along the way the performer will reveal specific dates, names and other details - and these are surefire and will be confirmed by the participants.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Basically, to answer the only real question Slim asked, it is a psychic reading act based on card reading. There is no suggestion of derision to readers at all.

To ESPMagic
A) Yep. I liked it a lot. Luke has some interesting thoughts and presents a solid card reading act that could unquestionably be used.
B) As with Matt, I don't know "For the money" means. I will say that they are similar acts, they are both card reading Q&A's where people receive answers and readings to thought of questions. It's very difficult for me to compare them, since they are similar routines with different mechanics and slightly different flavors. I like them both, although I can talk more knowledgable about Docc's than about Cartomancy, since I already do it.
C)They are completely different packages.
D)Also with Matt here, why is that a problem? He teaches a fully routined act. That act uses some gimmicks.
E) It's a presentation of answering questions that have not been written down and telling futures. It's Kristin style at all, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for. From your question I think you might want a written Q&A.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
r1chyoung
View Profile
New user
Oxford
92 Posts

Profile of r1chyoung
You can all listen to a free 1 hour long interview with Luke Jermay on The Magicians' Podcast right now (in addition to 25 other free magician interviews) in any of these places:

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-......286?mt=2

Podbean: http://magicianspodcast.podbean.com

Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-magicians-podcast

I hope you enjoy them.

Richard Young
Creator and Host of The Magicians' Podcast
Thanks, Richard
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I *did* buy the routine, and it *is* wonderful! Now, the difficult part is trying to find where to play it! After all, "parlour" doesn't seem to exist here in North America...

Lee
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Allow me to share my experience.

I was one of the first people that purchased this at the pre-order price.

I was realyl busy these past couple of weeks, but I finally was able to dive into this, and construct the necessary, and I already performed it once.

It is a really smart routine, and packs a punch.

I will be using this.

Great act, that fits in your pocket.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cartomancy by Luke Jermay. (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL