The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Key by Wayne Dobson (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, WayneNZ wrote:
Is this the same as "Just a Key " ?

Is this the same as Joe Porpers "'just a key "?
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
So I just got this so can give an honest unbiased opinion. It's good. It's different to what I thought it was going to be: I thought it was going to be a single unit but without giving too much away, this gimmick is similar to a very popularly used one and has moving parts. You will also at times have to...."refill it", but those are scary cheap. I think saying anything more would be exposure. Unfortunately, gimmicking on my key is just slightly more visible than I would like but should fly by in performance (Mike's one in the explanation is far cleaner). However, the quality of the key itself is top notch and could have been even more expensive. They could have included more "refills" imho but the ones they did include should last a very long time.

So those are what I'd consider the "negatives" (only negatives for me, yours might be different).

Can you keep the gimmick on your keychain? You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. You shouldn't actually, but you could put it on a second before performance. Point is, I wouldn't store it there.

Can you use any ring? Yes and no. For the link, yes. For the part where it passes through, no. Some rings might be too small.

How closely can they examine the gimmicked key? They definitely can't. The "stem" of the key is normal so there is no chance they can find anything wrong with it during performance (for the napkin handling). I'd say that in performance, you should be at least 1 meter away from them (this will vary on how well your key was made and thus how well it's disguised). If the light hits the key itself, there's a very good chance that the gimmicking will be exposed a bit.

However, all of these things are being over-dramatic, they are just so that you can make a more informed purchasing decision. It is a great product that I think I'll use often. I'm sure that 95 % of the people who purchase this will too. Thanks Wayne, Mike and Alan for this great release!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks for the honest review. Sounds like a QC issue going on there. I would expect a very well made gimmick that is visually inspectable close up for that price.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Thanks for the honest review. Sounds like a QC issue going on there. I would expect a very well made gimmick that is visually inspectable close up for that price.

Great review, but from using this for the last week and doing it at 4 walk-around and table gigs I've found you can definitely do this standing right amongst the spectators, and standing at their tables. As you are performing, the nature of the 'gimmicking' just can't be seen. Even if someone was inches from it, the illusion of expectation (ie how a TT works) makes it invisible.

I also used this yesterday at a wedding exhibition. Went down really well using the brides engagement rings. If you promote for weddings, this will win you bookings.

Hope this helps
Dominic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:

Really? Do you hand out a bite-out coin for examination?

The gimmick is very well made, you get a dupe too...

If you're wanting to jab someone in the eye with the gimmick cos you've gotten so close, then no...dont buy it...

Its a very well made item. There is no discrepancy with height/weight/size
I've asked to be banned
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
Are these keys supplies as blanks, or are they a generic cut key, or can they be cut and used as a workable key?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That;s already been answered on this page...
I've asked to be banned
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This trick has been around for 45 years. I was 1st advertised in Abra Magazine in the 1970's. It was simply called something like "37", with no description at all. You had to buy it to even know the effect. Then in the 1980's or 1990's another English dealer took over the rights and made the trick, he owned "Presto Magic". He let another well known English dealer, Mark Leveridge decided to wholesale some his tricks to the U.S. and sent along what was now being called "UNI-KEY". Mark Leveridge created a Key Trick called "KEY-Volution", made with the same type of key as the "UNI-KEY" was being made with, this was version 3 thus far for "UNI-KEY".

Presto Magic went out of business, and the key was no longer available. The reason I know all this is because I was intrigued by the original ad, and purchased this key when it was available at Abbott's Magic in Colon, Michigan. The bands that help the key work, were very small, and not available anywhere. So I Mark Leveridge gave me the dealer info to obtain more some years ago.

Wayne Dobson's The Key is as the advertisement states an offspring of Peter Crush's trick, so this would be Version 4. I will say after watching the demo, Wayne Dobson has added some nice extra features to the key being used. The design makes for even more possibilities and use for the key. The key brand name on the keys I have is actually UNI*KEY, don't know if that is a brand in England, as I never been to England. If not, then they keys were specially made just for this trick. Interesting that they did not just use a name brand key like YALE or something.

This is a good trick, I use it now and then and carry it in a coin purse. Dobson has definitely taken the presentation to another level. I would recommend it from my experience in with UNI*KEY.

I will say, this is not a self-working trick, you have to learn it, practice it, and control your spectators. If you want self-working, don't buy it, as you are not a magician, but a hobbyist with a little interest in learning secrets, and not performing and making people smile.

That is the story of "THE KEY" as I experienced it, know it.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Quote:

Really? Do you hand out a bite-out coin for examination?

The gimmick is very well made, you get a dupe too...

If you're wanting to jab someone in the eye with the gimmick cos you've gotten so close, then no...dont buy it...

Its a very well made item. There is no discrepancy with height/weight/size

Did I say "hand out for examination" ? NO. I said Visually inspectable. Bite out coin is considerably cheaper isn't it? By mentioning the QC issue I meant that yours maybe far better than mine. This is how it sounded to me in the review above. Some may well be better made than others, and so for that price I'm not willing to take the risk.

Quote [ I'd say that in performance, you should be at least 1 meter away from them (this will vary on how well your key was made and thus how well it's disguised). If the light hits the key itself, there's a very good chance that the gimmicking will be exposed a bit. ]

Smile
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Try it out a few times, live. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It could be half as well made as it is, and would still work fine.

In performance, a flash like that is not really a factor. At the reveal the key is in motion when you are holding it. It's gold and very very hard for any flash like that to happen in a way that would focus attention In that way. At that moment, people are reacting, and you are engaging with them. The 'challenge style' spectators tend to be more focused on determining that it is in fact the same ring. There's something impossible being revealed that's much more interesting. The key is shown linked with the ring, then brought down and the ring comes off, then you clean up... Even if they did suspect the nature of the gimmick (which in practice they don't seem to do) you drop the key and ring onto the spectators hand after the clean up.

I suppose if you just held it there on show for everyone to closely inspect, you 'could' have a risk of 'flash', but really.. Who would do that? It would be weak..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hey guys, stop with the word semantics, it looses meaning with broad terms anyway. As I stated, if a guy ask to inspect or "see" the key, hand him the regular key. It is that easy. Ask him, do you have any keys with you, if he says yes, say, lets see them. take his and look them over and say, yep, those are keys alright. Now ask for you key back, and throw his as far as you can. You don't want to do any magic for that guy anyway, because, he is a "you are not going to fool me, kinda' guy". LOL

I never perform any magic for people that have to see everything or handle it, and intentionally want to show me up. Why because it destroys the experience and rhythm of the effect. Remember, you are a magician/performer, you are the one that is in control of your performing situation. After all, in most cases you are being nice just showing them a free bit of entertainment. Use the BoBo switch, if you don't know a good switch and continue with your demonstration.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Totally agree with you Bill. For once some wisdom on the Café.Very refreshing to see a post on the Café where someone knows what he's talking about. Mike Donoghue
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, here is another way. Go to Penguin Magic and buy John Murray's The Mark. Put the regular Key on the fob. Now, pull out The Mark, perform it. Now they have handled the fob, the key, and everything during the trick. Now remove The Key, and perform it. You can even magically link the key to the fob at the end and put everything in your pocket.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3688
Burf
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, South Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Burf
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, here is another way. Go to Penguin Magic and buy John Murray's The Mark. Put the regular Key on the fob. Now, pull out The Mark, perform it. Now they have handled the fob, the key, and everything during the trick. Now remove The Key, and perform it. You can even magically link the key to the fob at the end and put everything in your pocket.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3688

I like it! I have the mark and this would be an awesome use for it, what a great way to introduce The Key. Been thinking long and hard about purchasing The Key, trying to justify the spend... think you just tipped me over the edge Smile
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
WayneNZ - no it is not the same as Just a Key.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Point is I own "just a Key "so don't think I need this.
MagicMike101
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MagicMike101
Hi guys, just read some of the points above and I can assure you all keys are made to the same quality. If you have an issue with the gimmick, ie. it doesn't look quite right then I suggest re-ba**ing it. This is because the b**d may have stretched as they are rigorously checked by our manufacturer and then packed by hand.. Like Sashac says the refills are "scary cheap" and I re-b**d my key before every gig (just like I use a new deck of cards) just to be sure. However, you don't need to do this as the Key will last a long time before stretching occurs. If for any reason you wish to return it, or send it back to the original seller and it will be replaced.. If you have any questions at all about the key, please email me at mike@dtrik.com. Thanks for all the positive comments (and negative ones too, they raise points that need addressing sometimes) and thanks for your continued support with Wayne Dobson & DTrik..
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2015, MagicMike101 wrote:
Hi guys, just read some of the points above and I can assure you all keys are made to the same quality. If you have an issue with the gimmick, ie. it doesn't look quite right then I suggest re-ba**ing it. This is because the b**d may have stretched as they are rigorously checked by our manufacturer and then packed by hand.. Like Sashac says the refills are "scary cheap" and I re-b**d my key before every gig (just like I use a new deck of cards) just to be sure. However, you don't need to do this as the Key will last a long time before stretching occurs. If for any reason you wish to return it, or send it back to the original seller and it will be replaced.. If you have any questions at all about the key, please email me at mike@dtrik.com. Thanks for all the positive comments (and negative ones too, they raise points that need addressing sometimes) and thanks for your continued support with Wayne Dobson & DTrik..

Nothing to do with the b--d as it is a brand new item.
MagicMike101
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MagicMike101
Pegasus, you need to see one live to understand where I am coming from.... Anymore info and I would be exposing the trick.....
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Hey guys, sorry to ask this, but I don't understand the whole routine, you take a key and a ring, what are the phases please?

I've watched the trailer and didn't completely understand all the phases, can someone please comment? Smile

I'm kinda interested by this product :p
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Key by Wayne Dobson (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL