The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razor blade illusion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into different methods and presentations for a razor blade illusion, and after having spent a little while on the Café, I could find a few good things. About the methods, I heard about the Vest Pocket Razor Blade Trick by D.Robbins/E.Z. Magic, but I looked for it on the web and it seems to be sold out, the Razor Blade Trick by Kovari, which seems to be still on the market on his page for £28, Urban Legend (which I saw performed by David Parr btw, I loved it, though I'm a little skeptical upon the fact that he is seen swallowing only one blade but pulling back 3, as if he had eaten the 3 of them) but it also seems to be sold out, Dave Powell's version is as well apparently, and lastly Tim Ellis' Ultimate Blades, that comes in the form of an ebook. But if you have any other versions that are not expensive, or links for the ones I believe are sold out, feel free to post it.

So I'm hesitating between the Kovari one and Tim Ellis' version (whose performance is astounding), altough it seems to be real sharp blades, he (and many others) claimed that this method is as safe as for instance the Kovari one that uses a sw****, and whose blades have holes that can apparently hurt the cheeks as much as sharp blades. Has anyone had any experiences with either method? In the Kovari one, I'm not sure if you swallow the blades one at a time of if you put them into a glass of water and drink it all for example, that's the kind of precisions I'd like to have before purchasing anything.

BTW, does anyone know which method does Paul Potassy use in his 1958 performance with the 30 blades? Here's the link for those of you who haven't seen it yet, it's totally worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMWu39ufZk

Thanks in advance!
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was a teenager, in the '40s, I did the razor blades, when I had an all adult audience. I used the method sold by D. Robbins. It was passed along by a carny friend. You could truly carry the props in your shirt pocket.

If I were to do it today, I would probably use John Booth's "simplified method" which he describes in his "Marvels of Mystery". That book is out of print, but, I understand that there has been a reprint of his "Marvels" plus, "Forging Ahead in Magic".

All you would need to buy is the blades. Everything else you can easily make or you already have.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
The information about the routine of Potassy you can find in his book or dvd's.
When you enter: razor blades in the search (above) you will become a wealth of information and advices.
Jim Steinmeyer has also published a routine with needles.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Artemis17, What do you consider to expensive? You might want to consider raising your performance fees, so you can afford new equipment. I really don't know what to suggest, as that statement is totally different for every person.

Kovari Magic still lists this Razor Blade Trick as available, and it the one used by many professional magicians, including the late Alan Shaxon, and Paul Potassy.

http://kovarimagic.com/

Vest Pocket Razor Blades is still available according to a web search. Ronjo was referenced here on the Café a few years ago, and is still listed. I would inquire if they are actually available.

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/011789.html

Denny and Lee still has it listed, but I have not idea if it really is, you would have to inquire.

http://dennymagic.com/store/vest-pocket-razor-blades.html

The wholesaler and supplier, D. Robbins & Co., no longer lists it. So only supplies found at magic websites and stores would be able to supply it.

What can be suggested has much to do with you and your act. If you have an table and or an assistant that is on stage with you, then I suggest the display stand type, makes the act look classy. If you have a pocket act, then of course the Vest Pocket version would be ideal.

I have the Kovari and Vest Pocket versions, and find them to be the safest.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
@Dick Oslund, I think you mean the Vest Pocket version! Sounds great, I'll probably buy it if I can find it. I managed to find a John Booth's used 1944 book on the net, I'll consider it as well, thanks.

@john wills, thank you for the advice but I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't already made the search, the results of which are in my post.

@Bill Hegbli, for instance I wouldn't consider buying Scott Alexander's The Blades at $800. I believe that there are less expensive methods out there that were and are used by many magicians such as Tim Ellis' or Kovari's versions. Thanks for the links!

I have a street act with a table, so you would suggest Kovari's? I already bought Tim Ellis' ebook, which was totally worth it for $10! Although I don't know if I'll perform his version, I'll have to try it as soon as I receive the blades.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
Bizzaro By Design
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
90 Posts

Profile of Bizzaro By Design
You can also look into This DVD which is a fairly extensive resource on the Razor Blade Illusion.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Here's a video of the BLADES in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqZvPvVpL0
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
And a much more up to date presentation of the same effect - starts at 3.15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimFCmks9Tk
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
And here's one from 1988 where YouTube replaced ZZ Top's SHARP DRESSED MAN with some weird guitar music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaiylS-yeyQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2015, Artemis17 wrote:
I have a street act with a table, so you would suggest Kovari's? I already bought Tim Ellis' ebook, which was totally worth it for $10! Although I don't know if I'll perform his version, I'll have to try it as soon as I receive the blades.

For a street act, I would suggest the Vest Pocket. Although, if your country uses the blades with hole in them, then I would get the Kovari, and use his bladed in the Vest Pocket holder.

No one suggested you make a purchase of any kind before having all the facts. You did that on your own and wasted our time, when we could have been helping others. Live an learn I guess.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, Bizzaro By Design wrote:
You can also look into This DVD which is a fairly extensive resource on the Razor Blade Illusion.

Great recommendation.
Bizzaro's Razor illusion is very enjoyable to perform.
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
Scott Alexander has an awesome razor blade effect...
Dr. Rusty
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
1 Post

Profile of Dr. Rusty
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, silksock wrote:

Nice, I'm curious to know what its the product called?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2016, Dr. Rusty wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2016, silksock wrote:

Nice, I'm curious to know what its the product called?

Is your curiosity worth $800.00? If so go to Bob Kohler Magic and look at the ad for "The Blades".
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As a professional corporate performer, I can vouch for Tim Ellis version I have been using for about 8-9 years,it is realistic and some of the points Tim makes about doing certain moves and why a switch version can at times create audience suspicion. I have mixed a bit of Tims version in with some Paul Potassy advice and have a solid routine performed 2-3 times a week with great music that gets great reaction from all different crowds..not children obviously.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
To put this to rest Smile

In that 2015 street show, which I performed probably over 100 times over the summer, I closed with that trick, and used a combination of Tim Ellis' Ultimate Blades for the safe part, and of Urban Legend from Michael Paul for the routine and setup. I did it with 3 blades though, which I found was a nice compromise. It wasn't clean at the end, but I didn't care as long as I could still speak normally for my closing hat line!
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razor blade illusion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL