The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics??? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
I love the DVD and the extensive ideas presented! I would recommend it highly to anyone doing any kind of rope magic. BUT... It makes me wonder that once you do any sequence where a short piece of rope is shown that you have given away the secret. Am I looking at this too much as a magician? Don't laymen see this to some extent?
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
I got the same feeling when I was rehearsing Fiber Optics as well. It seemed to be almost a juggling routine with different sized ropes.

Now, I only ever display the short rope when it's folded in half and perceived to be the ends of the rope (and when showing all the ropes at the beginning and end). But I still get the feeling that the audience can almost see through the routine and are only entertained by the quick movements of the routine...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Youse guys are, IMO, "running when you aren't being chased"!

I spent one dollar with Gene Gordon for the PN in 1959. The EFFECT was great. I didn't LIKE the set up move(s) but loved the EFFECT. I played with it, off and on, for 11 years. Then, my pal Karrell Fox, realized that the set up move for Gen Grant's "50/50 C&R Rope" would "do the trick". I've used the PN since (about 45 years). No one has ever questioned the handling, and, I've performed it for thousands of very "sharp" high school and college audiences. (Also, elementary schools.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Since you start with a Professor's Nightmare they do see 3 sizes of rope. But once you stretch them to 3 equal lengths, there is no small one. After you remove 1 rope and the other 2 equal length ropes become one long rope... there is still no short rope. I realy like the way he shows the 2 equal ropes/then 1 long rope/2 equal/1 long back and forth. It helps reinforce that there is no short rope. They know something is going on... but they cannot follow it.

The only time it might be a problem is when you remove the ends to make an endless loop, or when you put the ends back on.... the only problem would be if I flash and that is me blowing the illusion. Other than that I just don't see it as a concern.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This is a great dvd to learn rope effects.
Todd
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
But, I already know too many!! (hee hee) --Just a smart aleck comment! Sorry, couldn't resist.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
There are a lot of moves whereby you
don't have to show the ends removed.
The specs will never know.
I love his rope and ring routine.
Todd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In case the unfamiliar people who purchased Fiber Optics did not figure it out yet, or read the many posts on this topics, here is how to think of the complete routine.

The completed DVD is a compilation of rope tricks all messed and intertwined into one giant routine. Most of the moves and tricks are by other very famous magician. All Richard Sanders' did was assemble and combine them in an order. I say this because, if you don't like a mover or display, just leave it out. Nothing is written in stone, it is totally up to you, to even perform individual tricks if you want.

Don't try to learn the whole routine at once, take it a section at a time, completely learning each phase. When you have learned a new phase then add it to what you have already learned previously. Go over that complete part until it is natural for you to do and remember. Then move on again to the next phase, and repeat.

I whole heartedly disagree with you changing anything until you have learned the complete routine. There is a reason for each move and handling, and you will not see that purpose until you thoroughly learn the whole routine and can do it in you sleep.

Finally, don't tell me and everyone on the Café, what you don't like, tell them what you like. Keep the don't likes to yourself. Now get to work!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I put in about twenty hours practice on the rope routine.
This is a very good rope effect.I feel that I have it mastered
pretty good.Now time to perform it.
Todd
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think Bill Hegbli explained the routine quite well. I'm not planning to change "my" rope routine. It came together over a period of years. It works. (for me!)

Nobody is forcing you to USE the entire routine. As Bill put it, LEARN the whole routine, a phase at a time. After you understand, and CAN DO IT (so that it ENTERTAINS an audience) then, you may be qualified to edit. --I view the routine as a smorgasbrod, or buffet. Just select the "foods" that YOU prefer. TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE!

In the early '70s, with the able assistance of my old friend, the late Dennis Loomis, we developed a rope routine that started with the Slydini "cut" to create a Nightmare "set". The Nightmare was presented, followed by the restoration of the three pieces of rope to a single rope. (Before the CONWAY "came out".) The routine was to provide a summation and finish for The Puzzling Environment program, which I presented in the season of '71-'72. It worked so well, that I expanded the routine. using a variation of the late Ken Allen's "If You Like It" routine, which was an update of the late Karl Germaine C&R rope, plus the Edward Victor C&R (as improved by Leon Maguire, and, myself). I had seen Ken's routine in 1954 at an MAES convention. (Incidentally,Jack Chanin and I had had a session at that same MAES convention, and Jack's suggestions forever changed my thinking about C&R rope routines.)I used "my" routine with great success, to open the high school program for about ten years.

Interestingly enough, Pop Haydn later brought out his "Mongolian Pop Knot". The basic effect of the "MPK" is almost the same as what I did for ten years. Pop never saw my routine. It was just a case of "parallel thought". To tell the truth, I like Pop's "version" better than what I did. If I were ever to "resurrect" the routine, I believe I would use Pop's!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I'm talking about the ring and rope routine itself.
Not the whole fiber optic moves.The whole dvd make take a year.
Todd
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Even Richard Sanders says on the DVD to use what moves you like, mix and match as you want...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2015, bowers wrote:
I'm talking about the ring and rope routine itself.
Not the whole fiber optic moves.The whole dvd make take a year.
Todd

---Or a year and a half even!

Never having seen the Fiber Optics performed, my comments above were on the "Nightmare" phases, which I've only heard about.

I like Ring & Rope stuff, too! The late Phil Willmarth was a dear friend. I remember being his house guest when he was working on his ring & rope book in the late '60s. (Talk about "research"!!!

I wrote a piece on ring and rope awhile back. It's "buried" somewhere in the Café. My fascination started with the late Denny Loomis showing me the also late Stewart James' "Sefalaljia" back in '64.

Because I use Karrell's three ring routine in the act, I use ring and rope bits only for casual close up situations. --It's so easy to "jam" a little with this sort of material! I must constantly remind myself" "DON'T GO PAST THE END"!

I've used the acronym KISMIF (Keep It Simple Make It Fun) for years. It's my "rule"! The KIS can also mean: KEEP IT SHORT!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, Tukaram wrote:
Even Richard Sanders says on the DVD to use what moves you like, mix and match as you want...

Yes! I mentioned Karrell Fox's 3 ring routine just above. Karrell gave me his routine back in the early '70s when we had a "week long session". I was playing a mall in Detroit,and Karrell said, "Don't get a motel! We have a guest room!: It was a great session!

I've used his ROUTINE since. BUT, I changed all the lines to fit ME! (It has been a "marriage made in Heaven"!)

When Karrell died, I inherited his rings.
roningramii
View Profile
New user
Van Buren, Arkansas
18 Posts

Profile of roningramii
The Fiber Optics routine is indeed very pleasing "eye candy" for the audience. After rehearsing some of the moves, I decided to start mixing them in with my Tabary routine. Since the two routines are taught using opposite dominate hands to perform the moves, it has opened up a whole realm of effects.

With some help from IBM Ring 75, I have been able to develop an "original" opening and closing for the my routine.

At some point, I will go back and take other effects from FO and other routines to develop more "original" routines. Whether I ever perform the routine in it's entirety I don't know. But I will always be glad I made the investment in the video.
Ron Ingramii
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2015, roningramii wrote:
The Fiber Optics routine is indeed very pleasing "eye candy" for the audience. After rehearsing some of the moves, I decided to start mixing them in with my Tabary routine. Since the two routines are taught using opposite dominate hands to perform the moves, it has opened up a whole realm of effects.

With some help from IBM Ring 75, I have been able to develop an "original" opening and closing for the my routine.

At some point, I will go back and take other effects from FO and other routines to develop more "original" routines. Whether I ever perform the routine in it's entirety I don't know. But I will always be glad I made the investment in the video.

I had many problems with the routine as well. It started to appear more like juggling.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There's nothing inherently 'evil' about juggling! I CLOSE my rope routine with a rope juggling bit. I taught it to Gene Anderson, who also uses it, the late Dennis Loomis, who also used it. and, the late Bob Lewis, who used it for his walk off.

As far as I know, no one else is using it.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Dick, is there any chance we can entice you to share what the 'rope juggling' is that you mention. I can't really picture what it might look like or even what it might be! Juggling circles of rope? Bundles of rope? Somehow juggling simple lengths of rope? I'm intrigued.

Cheers
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Neal!

Busy as "heqq" today, but, yes, I'll get back ASAP! I'm very proud of the bit. I picked it up in Norfolk, VA, while helping in the old EDMAR MAGIC SHOP.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Love Fiber Optics Rope Routine. Have been doing my version of Daryl's Rope Routine for close to 20 years now. Saw Fiber Optics and said, love this bit. and this bit. So I changed around my rope routine and I like it even better.
When I saw Richard perform the routine, I knew how most of it was done. Still, I was amazed at the illusion. I had that "What did I just see?" moment a few times. Great DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics??? (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL