The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Lots of great effects here. Some I haven't heard of, will need to do some investigating. A couple of others I like are twisted sisters, phantom deck , they get good reactions.
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
I would say my favorite card effect is Biddle trick.
Reason: First of all this is the first card I have ever learned when I start playing with cards and practicing sleight of hands.
Second the effect is strong and has a huge portion of involving audience
Third it is easy to do and audiences are love this effect
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
Darwin Ortiz - Hard Target - The Ephemeral Lecture Notes
Ralph Hull - The Tuned Deck - Greater Magic
Harry Lorayne - Ace Spell 2-Card Location - Greatest Teacher Ever Volume Two (VHS)
Bill Malone - Leipzig Would Have Loved This - Malone Meets Marlo Vol.4
Larry Jennings - Gambler's Triumph - Dai Vernon's Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic
Darwin Ortiz - Passing Through - The Ephemeral Lecture Notes
Harry Lorayne - Revolving Flush - The Classic Collection Vol.1
Harry Lorayne - Fortitude - The Classic Collection Vol.1
As for my reasons; I love these because they are tried and tested, fun to perform and the audience reactions are great to every one of them.
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
I love " Out of this world" Eugene Burger version on his Penguin Lecture. It is just "hand off" trick and blow the person away. You could even add a little bit of cold reading before the trick and it is just so powerful trick. I love it!
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, pcrpttc wrote:
I love " Out of this world" Eugene Burger version on his Penguin Lecture. It is just "hand off" trick and blow the person away. You could even add a little bit of cold reading before the trick and it is just so powerful trick. I love it!

I love this version too, genuinely shuffled deck and the spectators get to deal some of the cards as well. His whole lecture was great.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I like Finger on the Card, Die of Destiny and Sympathetic 10.
Randy Marsh
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Randy Marsh
Someone posted this list of tricks on Reddit. Figured I would share it with everyone here even though it's not my list. I think most of these tricks can be done with a normal deck.

Easy Aces (David Williamson)
Interlaced Swindel (David Williamson) (variation on the cannibal cards)
Do As I Do (John Carey)
Time Machine (Steve Freeman)
Any Card at Any Number (Justin Miller)
More Discrepancies (Gaston Quieto)
Too many cards (Aldo Colombini)
Any Card At Any Number (John Carey)
Any Assistant Mindreading (Daryl)
Dunbury Aces (Charlie Miller)
Business Card Prophesy (Bill Goodwin)
Twisting The Aces (Dai Vernon's original version and Wayne Houchin's take on it)
Righting A Wrong (Daryl)
Ambitious Card Routine (Various Artists)
Dr. Daleys last trick (Dr. Daley)
Be Honest, Where Is It (Eddie Fechter)
Pseudo Brainwave (Benjamin Earl)
Route 66 (Alvo Stockman)
Biddle trick (Elmer Biddle)
Clutch (Oz Pearlman)
My favorite opener (Bill Malone)
Ultimate Impossible transpo (Oz Pearlman)
French Kiss (Wayne Houchin)
Renegade (Oz Pearlman)
Do As I Do (Oz Pearlman)
Stigmata (Wayne Houchin)
Card Opener (James Brown)
Cards Across (Paul Harris. This version works better when there are 5 or less people)
Cards Across (Bill Malone. This one works in bigger crowds)
Branded (Tim Trono)
Card to pocket (Benjamin Earl)
Blueprint (Dai Vernon/Chris Kenner)
Peek, Four-of-a-kind-revelation (Various Artists)
The Gun Trick (Ken Krenzel)
Cardini Snap Change (Cardini)
Invisible reverse (Jim Ryan)
Dr. Fun (Paul Harris)
Diminishing Switch (James Brown)
Brainless Travellers (James Brown)
Catch The Sandwich (Frank Simon)
Between Your Points Of Departure (Earl Nelson)
Subway (Dan Buck)
Band-up! (James Brown)
--- TABLEWORK ---
Self-cutting Deck: Rubberband (Fenn & Jordan)
Amazing Prediction (Harry Loraine)
Hotel Mystery (Ed Marlo. Found on George McBride's DVD)
A Simple Ace Routine (Ed Marlo)
Reset Reset (Earl Nelson)
Shipwrecked (Daryl/Bill Malone)
Which One's Missing? Rub The Aces (Bill Malone)
Think, Touch, Turn (Ed Marlo)
Spectator Signed Card To Envelope (James Brown)
The Gemini Twins (Ending Story) (Bill Malone)
Double Swap Sandwich (George McBride)
Search & Destroy (Aaron Fischer)
Spell The Name (Various Artist)
Invisible Palms (Paul Harris)
Sow By The Lug (Benjamin Earl)
You Shuffle As I Shuffle (Frank Simon)
The Trick That Can't Be Explained (Dai Vernon)
Solomon’s 10 (David Solomon)
Triumph (Dai Vernon)
Open Triumph (Benjamin Earl)
Card Under The Box (James Brown)
I Should Have Done It Myself (performed by Bill Malone)
Chicago Opener (performed by Bill Malone)
Open prediction,5th reversed from bottom (Ed Marlo)
Prediction trick (Bill Malone)
Four Seasons-Aces (Jim Ryan)
Simple Ace Revelation (Bill Malone)
Count On It (Paul Cummins)
ESP Numbers (Aldo Colombini)
4,5,6-packet trick (Sal Piacente)
How to cheat at 21 (Andrew Wimhurst)
Among The Discards (Simon Aronson)
An Ace production sequence (Various Artists)
A Lucky Card HCDS/CHSD(Richard Wollmer, Aldo Colombini)
Count On Them (Aldo Colombini)
Four Card Reiteration (Dan Garrett, performed by Michael Close)
Blind (Daniel Madison)
Extraordinary Proof (Andrew Gerard)
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
The Overturned Card - from Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr. The plot is simple. The spectator signs a card and I let them keep it at the end. People come to me years later saying that they still have the card. I get a lot of mileage from this in performance.

Tag - Chastain Criswell and Mark Mason. Just discovered this and now I leave a spectator with a signed card and my business card.

Not sure of the name of the effect, but Eugene Burger has an effect where you give a spectator half a deck and you each select a card from your respective halves, you put the cards in the other person's half. The halves are placed on the table and when spread, the two chosen cards are reversed. I love this effect because there looks like there are no moves and it's just so impossible.

Fickle, False, and Dead One by E. Henning (Magic, May 2007) - A Fortune Telling Fish divines a spectators chosen card. I have so much fun with this. This has been in my performing set ever since I read it.

I Hate David Copperfield Trick - I have my own version, re-routined it so it automatically resets. It just got Geoff Williams approved this past November. I like it because the phases look like special fx in a movie. At times I'll have people off to the side that don't want to come close to see the magic because they're not interested. But they're there watching anyway. After the first phase, they're watching close. After the second phase, they come closer.

B'Wave by Phil Goldstein - it's a stunner that packs a triple climax that makes it even more impossible as it unfolds.

Circus by Phil Goldstein - I had this packet trick when I was a teen. I loved it then, and I still love it. It's just a fun routine.

Halo Aces by Harry Lorayne - I don't think this is the "true" Halo Aces. I force a card and have it replaced in the deck. Then I give it to the spectator to shuffle. I take it back, look thru the cards trying to "find" their card while culling their card and three mates to the top. I ask them to give me four chances to find their card. I then do the cut four times and take the top card of the appropriate pack and before I turn it over, ask them their card...then I turn it over and do the final kicker reveals.

Dream Card by Daryl - This is a great routine when someone hands you a deck and asks you to do a trick. I usually act disinterested while the spectator goes thru the phases of the routine. The final reveal leaves them stunned.

Color Monte by Jim Temple - It's a fun routine with an unexpected ending. Since it's the most sold packet trick ever, it reminds me that despite all the sales, there are tons of people who have never seen it. It's a good reminder for a lot of the magic we do.

The Trick That Can't Be Explained by Dai Vernon - It's a good mental exercise to see how many ways you can bring about an ending. It tests your card mettle.

The Ruler Trick - I don't know where I got this from. I don't know if I saw someone else do it. I know I thought about a trick I have called "The Card Ruler" and the idea popped from that. I force a card. Have the spectator shuffle the deck. I spread the cards face up. Take out a small tape measure and spread it over the cards and say, "Yep, there it is at 6 and three quarter inches, the four of spades."

Sidewalk Shuffle by Martin Lewis - the jumbo version for stage/parlor work. It's a great con game routine.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, Evildan, I've written that specific presentation for my HaLo Aces somewhere. Any "makes sense" production of four of a kind does "make sense." For example, one of the things I sometimes do is - as the spec. is shuffling the cards I ask him for his favorite four of a kind. He says "Jacks." I take the shuffled deck and patter about estimation as I run through the cards faces toward me, acting as if I'm memorizing the positions of the four jacks. I mutter to myself - "fourteenth, twenty-seventh ..." etc. And of course, culling the four jacks to top. Then - as I cut the four packets - "Let's see, 14th, 27th..." And I show that my "estimations" were all correct! Anyway...
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Very nice Harry. I'll be playing around with that presentation as well. I remember seeing you at one of the NY Symposiums. You were in the hallway. They dragged you in and asked if you could do something quick. You borrowed a deck of cards from someone. Asked if they were shuffled. Looked through them to confirm. Cut four piles. Flipped over an ace in each pile then left the room. The crowd was stunned. I wanted to be able to do that.
So, thank you for sharing then and now.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Yes, Evildan, I've written that specific presentation for my HaLo Aces somewhere. Any "makes sense" production of four of a kind does "make sense." For example, one of the things I sometimes do is - as the spec. is shuffling the cards I ask him for his favorite four of a kind. He says "Jacks." I take the shuffled deck and patter about estimation as I run through the cards faces toward me, acting as if I'm memorizing the positions of the four jacks. I mutter to myself - "fourteenth, twenty-seventh ..." etc. And of course, culling the four jacks to top. Then - as I cut the four packets - "Let's see, 14th, 27th..." And I show that my "estimations" were all correct! Anyway...

Wow. Excellent idea! Thank you for sharing that.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I'm mostly a coin guy that likes walk-around closeup, so I enjoy a lot of card tricks with regular cards but only do a few to break up the coin work. Mostly I will do Twisting The Aces as it always plays well, and I always pull it out and ask the specs if they've ever seen my famous 4 ace trick? Smile At other times I will do The Daley Trick (Bill Malone version). And when I got time to use a deck (which is not often), I like to do a little ACAAN or a little play with the ACR. These were easy enough to learn and with some good practice, I became pretty good at them. Smile

These tricks are "classic" for a reason, a nice easy-enough respite from the coin. Makes an almost decent coin guy look like a pretty darn good card man as well. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Currently I like
1) Stand up monte
2) Twins (Micheal Ammar ETMCM)
3) Impossible opener
4) I'm just starting to polish Between the Palms, ETMCM. Although I haven't played it out, it seems pretty baffling.
5) MacDonald's Aces
6) ACR to wallet with BD or s***l. Both get big smiles, and decent tips.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
If you can ever get a hold of one, good luck, Farky Hollis Predicts is worth it's weight in gold. I've used 12 or so over the years because after tons of performances they do wear out. I buy them everytime I find one because it is so good.

If anyone has one and disagrees I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Smile

_
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2015, Sealegs wrote:
It's meaningless in a thread like this just to list effects...

Whilst it may not be ideal, I would not go so far as to say it is "meaningless". At the very least you have an effect that should be worthy of further investigation, particularly if it is mentioned by several Café members. Just a thought imho.
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, Hansel wrote:
Two Up and One Down (Paul Wilson)

Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, john oleson wrote:
Two Up and One Down - Paul Wilson

In what video or book does Paul Wilson teach this trick?
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Scarne’s aces followed by Erdnase’s acrobatic jacks but I use the aces I cut Always astounds laymen.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2015, Hansel wrote:
Two Up and One Down (Paul Wilson)

Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, john oleson wrote:
Two Up and One Down - Paul Wilson

In what video or book does Paul Wilson teach this trick?

I'm not sure, either. But it sounds like it might be an alternative title for a three-card transposition of Paul's that appeared in Genii, called "Through the Drinking Glass."
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I do know that "Two Up and One Down" in Paul's video 10X10 - currently a freebie from Vanishing Inc Magic, as described here.

But that's somewhat of a low-key effort, so I figured he must teach it elsewhere too.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2015, Ado wrote:
Repeated card to pocket, with "51 cards to pocket" ending. I don't know who came up with the effect, and I use my own sequence of moves, subtleties, and psychology... I love this trick. It's my go-to effect for street magic: first, the impossible happens, then, I catch you again, and finally, the unbelievable happens. No table, done surrounded, impromptu.

Twisting the aces (Thomas Hierling's): strong, visual, impromptu, no table, done surrounded, and I have a patter that keeps the audience involved. A good trick that's not a "pick a card one".

P!

The first person I saw do the 51 cards to pocket was Johnny Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are your favorite card effects and why? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL