The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Appearing 8 foot pole durability (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
Im looking to purchase and use an appearing 8 foot pole, if it were put in a base, could it support some magicians rope hanging off it, or attached to mic stand as, will it bend? What are your thoughts?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I can't quite picture what you have in mind or how you want to have rope hanging off it.

It has no projections sticking from it so what would the rope be hanging from/on? Do you mean, 'can you tie rope onto it once it's extended'? I also have no idea what you mean whiny ask if it could be attached to a mic stand. Again what do you mean? Tied to a mic stand? lashed to a mic stand? inserted onto a mic stand?

You could, I guess, stand it on a base if the base has an upright cylindrical piece of wood sticking up from it with the right diameter. It would need to be a reasonably good fit though and long enough to stop any major wobbling. I'd guess that would mean it'd need to be about 8-10 inches but it might need to be longer. Any base would need to be free standing as I'm not sure how you'd produce the pole with such a base attached without it looking very strange. And you need to have a good pole too. One that had a decent over lap when extended.

Perhaps if you explain more fully your intention people could offer better help.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
Ideally, id like to have 2 extended appearing poles with a rope tied between the 2. Just some magicians rope, but I was afraid it would cause the poles to bend. The base will be rigged to keep the poles up right, like a flag stand.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, you cannot tie anything to the pole, You could tape the rope to the poles. To put on a stand, the stand would have to have a very large span to prevent tip over, and the insert would have to be very long up inside the pole.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have an appearing straw, basically the same as the pole with different design. A real straw would be a decent comparison for durability. Imagine an 8 foot long straw and how durable it would be. The appearing pole will not be quite as durable or sturdy as a real 8 foot long straw but it will be close.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You might want to look at a different method. I've had the appearing pole, appearing crayon, and appearing straw. They are all crappy props. They work well at first, but if you do a lot of shows, they quickly crack and fall apart. Don't waste your money.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ive used mine for over 5 years in about every show.
I only had to take about 2 inchs of the end from cracking.
In all that time.It has really served me well.
Todd
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2015, bowers wrote:
Ive used mine for over 5 years in about every show.
I only had to take about 2 inchs of the end from cracking.
In all that time.It has really served me well.
Todd

I have had mine about the same amount of time. Used it a lot, and still works fine. If I had to buy a new one tomorrow it would still be worth it, gets great reactions. I don't care for it as a stand alone, but as part of another routine it is great. There may be different quality versions out there, I could have bought one cheaper, but spent a little more to purchase one that I knew someone who had the same one, so I knew what I was getting. Maybe someone on this site can tell you if there are different versions and different quality options. If so, definitely get best quality.
illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
Fantastic, Ill do some more research. Thank you everyone!
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I have owned quite a few poles and straws. I have found them to be a bit too fragile for everyday use. I do believe though, one could mount two of them in a base and have a rope between them with a bit of work, depending on the specific requirements desired. I believe they are structurally adequate to support the weight of rope without bending. The tricky part would be in attaching them to the poles, and for that one would need to fully understand the purpose of the hanging ropes. The other thing to consider is whether or not the poles could withstand the scrutiny of prolonged visual exposure.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Someone needs to post the name of the good quality ones!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Another problem with supporting two in a base and tying a rope between them is that this may cause the poles to twist, which would not be a good idea.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Jimhlou, It would indeed be good to know who manufactures the quality poles and which ones are pants... but when you buy them through dealer it's impossible to tell where they originated from.

Certainly all of Wayne Rogers' creations using appearing pole technology are/were fantastic. (he no longer has them advertised on his website and so I assume he no longer makes them?) The giant wands, are/were especially good. Like his ladder, straw, spade, shovel, broom, and other products they have a really good over-lap and really tight tube formation. I've used them but unfortunately they don't serve my act like the wooden pole does and he doesn't/didn't make those. (presumably because he doesn't/didn't want to impinge on Sylvester's original idea)

So unless you can see the pole in it's extended form it's best not to buy. It's another reason to support your brick and mortar magic shop. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Appearing 8 foot pole durability (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL