The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rarest books in Mentalism (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Was thinking about what are the rarest books in mentalism? I usually first think of Berglas' Mind and Magic--that had 1000 copies and they usually go for around $500 and up. Peter Turner's first Bigger Fish only had 75 copies (I think Bigger Fish 2 had 100). What other books out there do you consider the rarest in mentalism?
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
For serious collectors, the rarest are the ones we do not discuss in public forums.
John
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Exactly. Also let's not confuse a limited-edition marketing approach releases with true rarities.

Some of these limited edition are quite readily available and aren't selling for a fraction of the cost used. Two different things.
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
I think Peter Turner's "Book of Demons" and Ted Karmilovich "No prop nightclub act"
I have not heard anything about these books, except that it is a limited release, and the effects described in them - incredible.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
O.o. is an example - but can't say its full title here.... if that is the gist
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My "The Art of Mentalism" is long out of print. Even the second edition is pretty rare.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I've heard that Pepe Grenouille's Memetic Manual is changing hands for a lot of GBPs, usually at conventions, I've certainly never seen it on ebay. I don't know how many copies were originally produced, but it was only double figures.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I suspected when I saw the title that PT would top your list.

I'm less interested myself in rare books and interested in great books. Sometimes the two may collide but not necessarily.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
I've heard that Pepe Grenouille's Memetic Manual is changing hands for a lot of GBPs, usually at conventions, I've certainly never seen it on ebay. I don't know how many copies were originally produced, but it was only double figures.

Phill

i managed to get hold of that one...

the prequal that he did with piero umilliani was very interesting too, equally as rare...the M'nah Chronicles.. it might be on trickshop as a pdf by now, who knows...would be a shame if it was...
I've asked to be banned
signal2noise
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of signal2noise
Insight's MoM?
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
There are books on the 39 Steps to Mentalism that are practically unavailable. The following two come to mind:

* Out of the Deep Freeze by Ford Kross
* The Shiels Effect by Tony Shiels
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Yes, and I am now working on another rare book slated for release in early 2016...details will be forthcoming shortly.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, signal2noise wrote:
Insight's MoM?
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Jason, I feel like I'm at a seance and you've conjured up a spirit. Smile
signal2noise
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of signal2noise
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, truman wrote:
Jason, I feel like I'm at a seance and you've conjured up a spirit. Smile

Yeah, I thought I had to say it three times for it to work though.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
There are books on the 39 Steps to Mentalism that are practically unavailable. The following two come to mind:

Someone has a Shiels Effect up for sale here right now. He's stated that it, along with several other books he's selling, are collector's editions. I've asked for clarification as I have all but one and wasn't aware that special editions were issued for any of them. So far no response. Anyone here know about the following books being released as collector's editions:

CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1980. Collectors edition in great condition.
IT MUST BE MINDREADING by George Anderson. 1974. Collectors edition in great condition.
YOU TOO CAN READ MINDS by George Anderson. 1978. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMITE MENTALISM by George Anderson. 1979. Collectors edition in great condition.
THE BOLD AND SUBTLE MIRACLES OF DR. FAUST by David Hoy. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
MIND MELDS by Stephen Minch. 1984. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMIC MYSTERIES by Richard Osterlind. 2000. Collectors edition in great condition.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:

shiels effect is available
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, insight wrote:
Yes, and I am now working on another rare book slated for release in early 2016...details will be forthcoming shortly.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Insight's MoM?

You r back? Wowsa

Where is my mother's day booK!
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, insight wrote:

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Insight's MoM?

Grow up.

You were slaughtered when you mentioned the first one, please don't start a ****post all over again
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
Quote:

Someone has a Shiels Effect up for sale here right now. He's stated that it, along with several other books he's selling, are collector's editions. I've asked for clarification as I have all but one and wasn't aware that special editions were issued for any of them. So far no response. Anyone here know about the following books being released as collector's editions:

CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1980. Collectors edition in great condition.
IT MUST BE MINDREADING by George Anderson. 1974. Collectors edition in great condition.
YOU TOO CAN READ MINDS by George Anderson. 1978. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMITE MENTALISM by George Anderson. 1979. Collectors edition in great condition.
THE BOLD AND SUBTLE MIRACLES OF DR. FAUST by David Hoy. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
MIND MELDS by Stephen Minch. 1984. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMIC MYSTERIES by Richard Osterlind. 2000. Collectors edition in great condition.

Marvoyan's Bolivian Brain-Bafflers
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, Dr Spektor wrote:
shiels effect is available

I saw the one for sale that Dr. Cushman mentioned. Is that the one you mean? If it's being regularly sold elsewhere, please provide a link. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rarest books in Mentalism (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL