The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Intersection of Magic and Hypnosis (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2015, Quatermass wrote:
At least it is trying something new.

Something new is welcome when it moves the actual art forward, not creating a facade to prevent progression.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
What is progression? Ive never saw a single hypnosis show that was any good that has changed much in 20 - 30 years. I think hypnosis is extremely limited as an entertainment. That doesn't mean its not good just that pretty much its based on a set number of reactions from the audience no matter what skit you put around it. Having said that - that doesn't mean that a poor hypnotist can get the same reactions as a really good one. Getting the most from the medium is a real skill and a bit of an art.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I have seen a lot of stage hypnosis shows, and just about any well known hypnotist. From Jay Medicinehat (RIP) to everyone who has performed in Vegas in the past 20 years, and many at fairs. Mindpunisher is correct - there is very little that is new. And I do find many of them boring. Your in a band - bad smell - everyone laughs - someone forget #2 - invisible hypnotist - moving body parts - horse races.
It is never the hypnosis that makes a show good. That is easy, and rather limiting. It is the performer. Anthony Cools because of his precision and sadism. Michael Johns because he is a comedian. Kevin Lepine because he is a freaking wildman! Kelly Karl is great because she can sing - and its in her show. Magic is just one way to push the envelope, differentiate from the rest, and create something unique....
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I have seen a lot of stage hypnosis shows, and just about any well known hypnotist. From Jay Medicinehat (RIP) to everyone who has performed in Vegas in the past 20 years, and many at fairs. Mindpunisher is correct - there is very little that is new. And I do find many of them boring. Your in a band - bad smell - everyone laughs - someone forget #2 - invisible hypnotist - moving body parts - horse races.
It is never the hypnosis that makes a show good. That is easy, and rather limiting. It is the performer. Anthony Cools because of his precision and sadism. Michael Johns because he is a comedian. Kevin Lepine because he is a freaking wildman! Kelly Karl is great because she can sing - and its in her show. Magic is just one way to push the envelope, differentiate from the rest, and create something unique....
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the thing.

In the same breath you are saying that you perform card warp hundreds of times a year and nobody has seen it. As magicians we see it a lot but that is different and we have to understand people haven't seen it.

At the same time you are saying people are bored with hypnosis and this will move it forward. Wny not apply the same theory with hypnosis?

If it is true with card warp it is true with hypnosis. It has to be one or the other.

While you may be bored with hypnosis shows the public I see on a regular basis are not. It is new to them. Adding old magic tricks does not necessarily help.

Hypnosis shows are unique enough. A HUGE percentage of people are seeing them for the first time.

Again this is just my opinion based on my experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
And don't forget the real stars are the volunteers which make each show unique. There is a real skill in finding the best volunteers homing in on them and allowing them to explode on stage. Personally for me these are the best shows and the best hypnotists. I can see a good singer or a great comedian anytime. But what comes out of a volunteers head when "wound" up properly can be priceless. But like anything it can become boring with too much exposure. That goes for great comedians or singers too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See that is the truth and the secret both. Shows are different and unique because of the different and unique volunteers
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Just watched the hypno-tricks videos. I thought the effects were really bad. The first one using the same method for a pk touch instead of a hypnotic giggle is so much more powerful and convincing of something "real". I didn't think it amplified anything. I just don't see a use for it in any show...

light heavy? Again done with real hypnosis is so much better. The minute you cover anything with a cloth to me its a cheesy amateur trick...

The levitation just left me totally cold.

I can do 30 mins or much more with NO deep hypnosis just suggestion on personal achievement that really fits in with businesses etc with no need for gimmicks. I just don't see why anyone would want to use these? They aren't controversial they just aren't very good. I have done a mentalism section before the hypnosis and it can go down really well but you need GOOD believable effects that don't look like magic. That look like the real thing.. I don't think they do much for Richard's credibility either,
Brett
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Brett
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, browneyed wrote:
No thank you, there are only like 5 of us here and as far as I know, we all have formal education in actual hypnosis. I can't say that I would endorse your course for any level of hypnotist or magician or anybody.

Actually, I clicked on the link in your sig and I remember you from when I was a teenager starting hypnosis. I definitely don't recommend your courses, I don't believe you are a real hypnotist. Your "certifications" are only accredited by your own boards that you made up. You are disseminating false information about hypnosis in order to make money and that is despicable.

There's only like 5 of you here? I can see why. Mr. Nongard comes on here to post something that he and Jeff McBride are working on together and you come out teeth bared. Then you personally insult him, not his ideas, but him personally. Hell, I'm afraid to post anything on here if I'm going to be attacked like that. No activity in your forum topic? I think they've moved on to less-bullied grounds.
readering
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of readering
I am not against using magic in a hypnosis show but not AS hypnosis. I wasn't overkeen on the videos shown but perhaps that was because of the slow presentation. Too much talk and not enough action which can be fatal in a hypnosis show unless yo are doing it as part of a pre-talk.

Magic can be a very good addition to a hypnosis show although not everyone agrees with this. (Ormond Mc'Gill was all for it though!) I am not against hypnotrix either if they are used correctly and at the right time. However, to imply or state that the tricks shown in the video are hypnosis lacks credibility somehow. I may well be wrong but somehow it is not just my cup of tea.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Made it past double digits.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
readering
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of readering
Oh, the hell with it! Let's bury the hatchet, Danny! I was wrong! Sorry I upset you! We are both horrible people. No wonder things got out of hand!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not a horrible person.

Otherwise you are right. You are a horrible person.

What's wrong? Run out of places that will let you post?

With Dynamike gone you might last a little longer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't believe either of you are horrible people. Welcome, Readering. Hope you manage to hang around.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
~I think the whole three of you are horrible if you ask me....thats whats nice about this place.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I want to be horrible too
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Awww he only made it to 21. Oh well he will be back.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think I am the only nice guy in here
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If we are going on looks, I am certainly horrible. My sister in law looked at my son when he was a few weeks old and said: "He looks like a chimp, but then his dad looks like an ape." So that makes it official.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
What an insult to apes...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Intersection of Magic and Hypnosis (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL