The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » CC Knives Info (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Here is a match up;Merrill (Pakistan) on the left.

Click here to view attached image.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, snowpuppy wrote:
Ok CC Knife collectors out there,here's a set I need help on identifying;At first I thought they were Merrill Knives,but they have no stamp markings and are wider,shorter and thicker than Original and Pakistan Merrill Sets. Any Info?

They look to be of the same inferior quality as the Pakistani knives. I've collected CC knives for over 40 years and avoided purchasing knives of this type, as they're pretty much worthless as collector's items.

Gary Frank, who owns the company that manufactured the original Merrill knives, has said that the Pakistani knives should not be considered or referred to as Merrill knives.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I have this set of "Scotty York" CC knives and was wondering...
How can I authenticate the manufacturer?
How can I assess a "market" value for them?

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, Scott Horn wrote:
I have this set of "Scotty York" CC knives and was wondering...
How can I authenticate the manufacturer?
How can I assess a "market" value for them? [/quote

I'm not sure what you mean by "authenticate the manufacturer". The company that made the knives is on the blade. It's Providence Cutlery Co. Prov., R.I. I don't believe anyone would bother manufacturing "fake" Scotty York knives as they are made from relatively inexpensive knife stock anyway.

A four knife set might sell for $50 to $100.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
That's a nice Set Scott,I only have a Four Knife Set. Meaning no disrespect to you or your knowledge Nicholas,but your opinion on the price I think is a little off (I hope) as I paid $175.00 for this Set;Four new/unused knives in Original Box with an Original Scotty York and Fred Kaps Book. Anyone else want to chime in as I imagine others are interested in this discussion.

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I don't have the original knife box but I do have the same manuscript and 7 matching knives. Thanks for the info.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The Scotty York Knives retailed for about $80.00 when they first hit the market around 1990. These days, they seem to fetch about what Snowpuppy paid for them.
NMC Lives
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of NMC Lives
Don't know if this will help, but...
The knives that started this string might have been made by Dale Merrill in the late 1960's. I have a few very similar that I purchased from Dale. Actually, When I got the Merrill Knife business, Dale gave me several samples of different knives he tried before settling on the silver bolster black, red, and white knives. The original company stopped making the style of knives we all thoroughly enjoyed in 1977. There is only perfect color changing knife that is black and white and was made by the company in Pakistan. That one single knife is very close to the original Merrill Knife. Unfortunately, when the company attempted to mass produce the knife, the quality went down. There are two generations of the Pakistan attempts of the Merrill Knife. The first has more squared brass bolsters. The other style is more rounded. There was also a set of knives that were sold by Twin Cities that looked like a version of the knives. The later versions of knives that were sold were sold as Merrill style knives.

If you're looking for a great book on performing most of the knife effects, please email and I will be pleased to send you a copy of Merrill's Knife Book. Sorry, but I will have to limit my offer to those living the the Continental US.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Hmmm,That's an interesting fact to hear,...What stamp is on the Knives you have ? Do you have any pictures ? This could be a game changer as for where these Knives sit in my Collection,....let alone value. Thanks NMC
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Here are some pics of my Collection so far.

snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
The rest,...so far.

snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Top Pic L-R (7) Juan Tamariz (2)Sander w/Kent Knock off (3)Jose De La Torre W/Smash Climax (4)Scotty York (3)Buck (6) Lee Kibbey (4)Merrill (Japan) (4)Merrill (Pakistan)(2)Ray Szwec (5)Enardoe (3)Rodger Lovins (2)Keenes (5)Joe Mogar Bottom pic L-R (1)Large Joe Mogar (1) Smashing Climax (2) Unknown (possible early Merrill)(3)Fantastic Magic (10)Enardoe knock off (5)Antony Gerard (5)Unknown (possible Merrill knock offs)
OMagicOne
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of OMagicOne
Check these Knives out! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21992
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The knives above are excellent. I don't have them, but saw them at a convention and played with them. They are the perfect size, and really feel good. You can always tell which is which in your pocket. They're on my Christmas list. Jim
harp
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
71 Posts

Profile of harp
Are the Lovins Chinese made?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, harp wrote:
Are the Lovins Chinese made?

From a review at the Frozen Bird:

These aren't cheap Chinese knives. When Rodger wanted a top quality knife he contacted Böker to have a set custom designed from the ground up.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, snowpuppy wrote:
Ok CC Knife collectors out there,here's a set I need help on identifying;At first I thought they were Merrill Knives,but they have no stamp markings and are wider,shorter and thicker than Original and Pakistan Merrill Sets. Any Info?

This set was likely made by the late Metodie Jorgancievski. He made me several custom, double bolstered sets in a variety of different colors and materials before his passing in late 2016.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » CC Knives Info (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL