The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Casket of Pandora (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Does anyone here have this trick? If so, I'm trying to find out the length of the tube minus the 2 caps.

Thanks,

Gerry
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gerry, the tube is 9 1/2 inches long.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Three inches in diameter, and the best exchange prop, I use it to change my Rice Blendo to confetti what that will fill by Confetti Bowl. Celeste Evans used it in her dove and manipulation act by connecting a chain and ring to it to simulate a purse.

Note: Abbott's New Casket of Pandora is made of Plexi and new covers. There are not enough air holes in this so you must drill bigger and more air holes. I had to learn the hard way, when my dove come out he was gasping for air. This is best used with an assistant to load off stage and bring on to do the transformation so the dove does not have to be loaded for a long time.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Note: Abbott's New Casket of Pandora is made of Plexi and new covers. There are not enough air holes in this so you must drill bigger and more air holes.

I hadn't mentioned the caps since Gerry didn't ask but you are correct. When I bought my new one, it didn't even have holes. Just dimples where the holes should be. Since it's advertised as a dove item, you'd think they'd know better
Where the magic begins
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
F.Y.I.> The original (1960's) version had no holes at all in the caps or body. There was an orangish dot in the center of one cap to tell you where the load was located.

Maybe then it was being promoted more as a generic exchange device and involving a dove was just one of the afterthought options...?

Julie
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
This is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, Julie wrote:
F.Y.I.> The original (1960's) version had no holes at all in the caps or body. There was an orangish dot in the center of one cap to tell you where the load was located.

Maybe then it was being promoted more as a generic exchange device and involving a dove was just one of the afterthought options...?

Julie

I have the original from the 60's, a newer one from the 80's and the lastest version. Both of the older ones have the dot on the cap as you described but they do have 3 air holes across the center.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I bought mine in the 1970's, and it has 3 small holes and the red dot. It was made by hand from their glitter sheet Formica type like material. The end caps were molded as well out of black plastic material.

Later in the '90's I purchased the new model made out of Plexiglas type material, with the soft capes.

I took my old model in for repair and they got the measurements off it, and made the Plexi model within a few months. They asked why I did not bring the caps, I told them, they were not in need of repair. I believe that is why the new soft vinyl caps are have the extended edges on them. They did not have the measurements for the caps.

I can't believe how much it holds, and how deceptive it is. It is one of my favorite props. This is a prop that is an investment, as I will last you very long time. I looked for a solution for 3 years, and all the time it was setting on Abbott's display shelf.

It has flash, action and was the perfect solution to coordinate the gap to go from one routine to the next in a logical manner.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I agree with the load capacity. I sometimes do a blendo with mine. I use 24" silks and put a red, black, yellow and green one in the casket. When they're removed, I have a red and black striped silk and a yellow and green striped one. Then I go into my dove production.
Where the magic begins
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Great tips! Thanks!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
We used to tear up a sheet of color comics from a newspaper and change them into 144+ paper flowers and confetti.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I used the casket for several years in the late '60s, to produce a dove. Mine came with a few holes in one end cap. I added a half dozen more, PLUS about 24 in the area of the bird's breast. He was perfectly comfortable and willingly got loaded, as much as 20 minutes early. The tube lay on its side with his end OPEN, but close enough to the wall of the prop case so that he couldn't "arrive" too early. I placed the cap on as I removed the tube for the routine.

Believe it or else, a magician friend liked my ROUTINE so much that he offered me a good sum for it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:

I have the original from the 60's, a newer one from the 80's and the lastest version. Both of the older ones have the dot on the cap as you described but they do have 3 air holes across the center.

Dave, I have wanted one of these for a while but I heard that the older ones are better. I have been patiently waiting and looking around for a used one for a while now. Do you think the older ones are a lot better or should I just go ahead and get a new one?
Mister Mystery
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Regan...

As mentioned abovd, I bought mine about 1968, and used it for several seasons.

The tube was handmade from drum shell material. It had a seam (which was only noticeable when you held it in your hand) and the caps were of a hard plastic. The caps had three air holes (about 1/8")

I had to load the bird about 15 to 20 minutes early. The first day, the bird came out "wet". As noted above, I added more holes in the bird end, and about 24 in the tube in the breast area. In addition, the cap was left OFF. The loaded tube lay on its side in the prop case. The open end of the tube was about 1" from the "wall" of the prop case. The cap was put on as I picked up the tube. I had NO MORE PROBLEMS.

I used the same bird, and he was "happy". I used the prop and bird in lectures to show my routine. I remember a group in Iowa that applauded when I loaded the bird during the lecture. (the routine was an hour "into" the lecture, and I didn't want the bird loaded that long. I asked why the applause, and they replied that the bird didn't fight being loaded!

A few years ago, I was at Abbott's and checked out the newer version. I think that it looks and works just as nicely as the older model. Of course, you can add the extra holes as I did, if you plan to use a dove.

Note! I never made a big "thing" of showing the tube empty. With a boy helping, I opened an end, pulled out a 36" white silk, replaced the silk, put on the cap. and had the boy "wave the wand". I opened the tube and, the bird popped out. APPLAUSE!

I did the routine when I lectured at Abbott's in the early '70s (I THINK), and Greg sold every one he had that day.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
While both the older and newer version are good, I prefer the new model. As Dick said, the older version had a very visible seam. The material overlapped. The newer one has a seam but it is so smooth, it isn't noticeable. The caps on the older version were hard and I sometimes had trouble getting them on the tube. The caps on the newer version are softer rubber and easily slip on the tube. Because of the material, they don't slip off.

My older verson was gold with a black stripe around the tube at top and bottom. The newer one is a more elegant looking red with silver stripes on the ends. I don't know if Abbot's maks other colors or not but I'm completely satisfied with the red.

When I used mine for the first time years ago, when I was stupid, my dove came out bleeding on the side of the head. I hadn't increased the number of air holes and the bird was struggling in the tube. I learned my lesson (the dove was ok after a quick trip to an emergency vet)Regardless of whether you get an old or new verson, be sure to add air holes. My cap came with 3 holes and I added 3 more. I drilled 4 small holes on the load side of the tube.

Like Dick, when performing alone, I laid the casket on it's side with the cap partially on to hold the dove. In the movement of picking up the tube, I slipped the cap on fully. The newer version with soft caps makes this a lot easier to do.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dick and Dave, thanks so much! I will try and get a new one pretty soon. I had held off for a long time but thanks to you two pros I can stop looking for an old one! Thanks again!
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I still have my old Casket Of Pandora, which is in green glitter with gold glitter bands, as well as the new model. I only bought the new model because of how well it is made.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You are most welcome, Regan! I'm sure that you will like the 'new' model.

Bill Hegbli is a very practical performer! I'm sure that he wouldn't buy a new prop just 'cuz it was "pretty"! He appreciates good craftsmanship, and prop practicability!

I don't think that the casket will ever be a "collectible", like a "Thayer", but, to a working performer, who wants a prop that will hold up on the road, I recommend it.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Anybody have a performance video?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry, I don't. When the "casket bird" died (tumor on lungs) I decided that the other two birds, which gave me 8 minutes, was enough. I gave my casket away to a friend, who had use for it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Casket of Pandora (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL