The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unicorn coin gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Anyone have any luck with the Unicorn coin gaffs? The only post I could find was saying that the shell won't fit over a real Silver Eagle. I'm curious about the quality and fit. I'm thinking about putting together a set for SAMOYA. Can anyone give a review?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
So....no one here has one of these things?
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I'm curious too. Price indicates it is not going to be good and I do not like the use alcohol to clean not metal polish. Are they plastic? Who knows out there? The gold coin looks great too. Anyone have these?
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Link?
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Search UNICORN at Murphysmagic.com
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
From the info at Murphys it looks like these are made from "Proof" 0.999 fine silver eagle coins (bullion, not minted for circulation).
Metal polish is abrasive and would ruin the "frosted"/mirror-like proof finish - though normal handling will do that over time as well.
$80 for a silver dollar size expanded shell made from a coin that costs ~$50 itself isn't a bad price. A Johnson Morgan or Peace Dollar expanded shell runs $86. From freeze-framing the video at Murphy's the coverage is pretty good. The "mouth up" view (freeze the video at 0:59-1:01) isn't so great. I wasn't specifically looking for it when I first watch the video but enough showed that it made me want to go back for a closer look. To be fair, most shells other than Lassen don't hold up to "mouth up" displays. Speaking of Lassen, I'd also take points off for using "Infinity Edge" to describe the coverage as (1) Lassen has been using that for years to describe his CSB coins, and (2) It's close, but doesn't go all the way to the edge. Mark Mason's "deep dish" shells give more coverage.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
Speaking of Lassen, I'd also take points off for using "Infinity Edge" to describe the coverage as (1) Lassen has been using that for years to describe his CSB coins, and (2) It's close, but doesn't go all the way to the edge. Mark Mason's "deep dish" shells give more coverage.

Totally agree here. I am Thrilled with the Mason Deep Dish as you really have no angles or worry on these and they are superior with the exception of the face being a bit wider and bigger looking compared to Lassen. Overall I prefer Lassen with a bit less coverage because of how great his faces match other coins. When I can't look and see the shell I know I have a winner! Also Lassen has less edge gap between the shell and the coin in face up position than Mason does.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Unicorn coin gaffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL