The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Advice on getting started with arduino? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have some ideas for a couple of projects, and it looks like the arduino might be the way to go. I have experience with Visual Basic programming, and a 40-year-old electronics background (anyone remember the "TTL cookbook"??). And recommendations for a starter kit and programming guide?

Ed
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ed, this is a magician helping magicians forum website, they have Arduino forums on the Internet. Just use Google and you will find everything. Just enter arduino books, arduino forums, arduino programming in the search engine box. All will be revealed. They even have my favorite dummies book, arduino for dummies book. Yes, there is starter kits on eBay and Amazon, and direct from the Arduino website. There is even a learning kit. Looks like they use their own programming language.

Looks like something challenging. Looks like you will also have to learn how to soldier.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Hi, Bill. Can't ever be a soldier - that's Army and the Marines would cancel my DD214! But the USMC did make me an electronics tech in the olden days (when "micro" and "computer" together was still science fiction) and teach me to solder. (Sorry -- couldn't resist a bit of ribbing!)

I have done the search-the-internet thing, already joined a forum and looked at boards and kits. I also searched the Café and found a number of threads where magicians mentioned learning and using an arduino for effects ranging from a flea circus to a seance.

So I thought I'd throw the topic out here for some practical pointers on "this is what helped me get started".

Cheers!
Ed
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I'm looking at the same thing Ed but perhaps you could help with my slightly more basic problem?
I simply want to be able to make simple circuits, 10 LEDs that start off dim and get brighter on their own would be excellent.
I bought an Arduino kit online but I didn't realise what it was really. It said "learn to make LED circuits" etc and I didn't really research it properly.
It's just an accessory kit, doesn't come with the standard Arduino parts, which is fine as I don't think that's necessary for what I want.
I've looked online but it's all a little confiusing for someone with zero experience.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Thanks for your advice Bill, didn't think of a Dummies guide. Looking at them on eBay.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
I'm looking at the same thing Ed but perhaps you could help with my slightly more basic problem?
I simply want to be able to make simple circuits, 10 LEDs that start off dim and get brighter on their own would be excellent.

Actually, Dale, in my old and limited experience, making 10 LEDs go from dim to full on their own is not a basic, simple circuit. LEDs have a certain voltage and current requirement. You can vary the current through a set-up of a couple of transistors, but you're going to have a lot of heat to dissipate. And then there's that pesky "on their own" issue.

For the Arduino, though, this is a fairly simple matter handled by "pulse width modulation" (PWM - basically turning the LEDs on and off at a very fast rate - at least 200 times per second). There are Arduino "sketches" (programs) out there already that will walk you through the code needed to vary the PWM output in a desired manner over a desired period of time. (No, I haven't done this - haven't done anything with an Arduino yet. But in my searches I've come across a fair amount of stuff and I've seen these types of sketches out there.)

You might be able to ask on a forum (forum.sparkfun.com or arduino.stackexchange.com, for example), or someplace like fiverr.com, and see if someone will write a sketch and diagram a circuit for you - most likely for some financial consideration in return. Then you can just buy the parts and assemble, load the sketch, and it's good. Or get an UNO R3 and a Dummies or other book (since you say you already have the accessories), and dive on in. (That's looking like the route I might go.) If you do decide to dive in, join a forum so you can ask lots of questions.

Ed
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Hmm thanks Ed!

It's certainly not as simple as I'd hoped. I may just pay someone to make it for me. Having the lights dim isn't super important but perhaps if each one could come on in a progressive sequence?
The main problem I have is size. The device I am making mustn't look like it has any electronics at all, and there's not much room to hide them.

I'll let you know
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
lebb
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of lebb
I found Arduino Cookbook by Michael Margolis to be quite good.
Make Electronics by Charles Platt is quite good as well (and the sequel) for logic circuits lighting LEDs
The latest Make Magazine has a list of small computer boards, there are a lot more than just Arduino now, and some very small and cheap...amazing really
One needs to be somewhat familiar with an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for the device. This is usually a program that runs on another machine (windows, mac, Linux) and creates code for the board. There are lots of recipes for code on the net, called "sketches" for the Arduino. The IDEs for a lot of boards are free, and some can run without a board, hence giving a chance to get one's feet wet so to speak without spending any money.
Usually the program from the IDE is then downloaded to the board. However there are emulators available that can give a graphic representation of what would happen with a real board.
Hope this helps a bit

regards
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:

They do look good! Thanks.
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
122 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
I have used this site (https://123d.circuits.io/) with some success for learning circuits and Arduino. There are free and paid lessons that will help you get started. Also, the YouTube channel, I Like to Make Stuff has some intro videos the help get you pointed in the right direction. Here is his first in a 3 part intro to Arduino series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KAdz3M0uKs. Check the video info for additional links as well.

Best of luck, it's lots of fun.

Brad
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I don't know about other parts of the country (or the world) but here in San Diego, CA we have a company that provides all kinds of tools and workspace for builders of all kinds. One of their offerings in their electronic division is an Arduino class for beginners. You might want to check out the concept and see if any similar businesses are near you. I do know there is another similar business in the San Francisco area that this one was cloned from.

http://www.makerplace.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upcoming event information:
Adult Arduino for Beginners (Adults only 17yrs+) STEAM Maker Workshop: 4619 Mission Gorge Place, Suite B San Diego, CA 92120
Date: 25 Feb 2016 6:00 PM

MakerPlace is partnering with STEAM Maker Workshop for this upcoming Adult Arduino for Beginners class.
This intensive 2 day hands on workshop for students with little to no prior Arduino or code experience. This class will lead students through the complete process of configuring, programming and building basic electronic circuits with an Arduino Uno.

This class will be held at
STEAM Maker Workshop:
4619 Mission Gorge Place, Suite B
San Diego, CA 92120

During this workshop students will learn:
- How to configure PC/Mac for Arduino Connection
- History and function of code and compilers
- How to upload sketches to Arduino Micro Controller
- To read and modify Arduino sketches
- Basic C Programming
- To use bread boards for circuit prototyping
- Basic electronic components
- To light an LED utilizing Arduino control
- To control Servo motors using Arduino control
- To take input from multi-position switch

This 2 part workshop will be held on Thursday, February 25th and Friday, February 26th from 6pm - 9pm
Students should bring a laptop (PC or Mac) otherwise STEAM Maker Workshop can provide PC laptops for those who do not bring their own.
A materials fee of $100 covers each students Arduino Uno R3 kit, which includes: Arduino Uno R3, USB cable, battery pack, bread board, LED's, Servo, and electronic components.

Required Prerequisites:
Basic computer skills: keyboard and mouse functions, how to save to an external drive, menu options and navigation.
Please arrive 10 minutes early to complete any necessary paperwork. Our shop can be a little tricky to find so we suggest giving yourself extra time for traffic and parking.
**Please wear closed-toe shoes. No sandals**

This class will be held at
STEAM Maker Workshop:
4619 Mission Gorge Place, Suite B
San Diego, CA 92120
Phone: 619.955.6484

MakerPlace Member Registration $100.00
Non-member registration $125.00
Material Fee: $100.00
More information and online registration: Adult Arduino for Beginners (Adults only 17yrs+)

Best regards,
MakerPlace

info@makerplace.com
619-225-7288
1022 W. Morena Blvd.
Suite H, San Diego CA 92110
www.makerplace.com
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I think this is an appropriate place to inquire about the Arduino and all that's related.....coding for example. I've made several magic effects and also updated effects as well. For example, I've made my "Perfect Time" watch wireless, meaning controlled by remote.
It would also be nice to have a source to go to looking for specific code for magic effects here on the Café'

Jeff
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Curious how the arduino stuff is coming along Smile

Microcontrollers are great! Personally I am a picmicro girl ^^ But in the end they all do the same thing. To the Op. If you ever need help where you are stuck, just ask. I am an Electrical Engineer in my day job, so I may be able to answer.

Oh and I *DO* have a copy of the TTL cookbook, its on the shelf right next to a VHDL reference book and another on magnetic theory.

Cheers!
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Hey ThunderSqueek, that's really cool. I'll keep your info handy, just in case! I've been wanting to try working on some magic stuff with a PIC, but haven't had the time.

I'm a computer engineer during the day, so I took all the electrical engineering classes back in college- but it's been a while and I've been doing mostly software for some time now.

I've been thinking about reviewing some EE stuff- I couldn't tell you from memory the difference between a BJT and a MOSFET. Smile
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
Thundersqueek,
How are you at coding? Is it the same as arduino?
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2016, merlin5150 II wrote:
Thundersqueek,
How are you at coding? Is it the same as arduino?

For picmicro, I generally use the C language, with the microchip mplab IDE and the pro version of XC compilers. Arduino uses a C-like language of their own if I recall correctly. There will be similarities, however most libraries are not compatible between the two. As far as coding, I am alright at it. Smile I have been writing C code since the 80's.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Just looked it up, guess they switched to a gcc compiler for the arduino Smile That means there would be no real difference between the two languages other than the libraries involved Smile
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
81 Posts

Profile of Ralis
These guys make controllers for props, gimmicked rooms, haunts etc
I have used them to help me with illusions and animatronics, they are both great guys

http://www.efx-tek.com/
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Checking back in. Been a crazy few weeks!!
(And now I have two cars to work on this weekend!)
I hope to unwrap my arduino board soon ...
I did get the IDE installed, at least!

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Advice on getting started with arduino? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL