The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Door by Roddy McGhie (139 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37~38 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
Yikes!!

That's not a good sign!

I have no intention of purchasing if that is the case!

Yes it was definitely the case. Lol.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Others say the gimmick lasts fairly long, but your experience was different.

So now I'm confused.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Mine has done well over 200 performances still like new. It depends how you look after it.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Some get long use..some get not so much.

Sounds like pot luck!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I looked after mine like I do every other magic item I own and mine fell to bits after 1 week of ownership.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Fell to bits after 1 week compared to hundreds of performances, what do you think the difference might be.

NM
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The box gimmick is unprotected. For that reason I do not carry this around in my pocket but in a outer case between shows. Not a Porper clip as that will destroy the box. That is also the reason I don't do this great trick as often as I'd like
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2018, magicnorm wrote:
Fell to bits after 1 week compared to hundreds of performances, what do you think the difference might be.

NM

Don’t know Norman. Please tell.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I keep mine in a hard plastic box that are sold to keep cards in. I believe Alakazam seek them. I keep other special decks in them things like Extractor. I think most damage is done when they are in your close up case. It’s easy at the end of a gig to keep things in your pockets instead of putting them away, but after losing things in taxis and on trains I always put my things away after a gig and I have noticed they last longer.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So could you guys give me a concensus on how easy or hard it is to repair the gimmick, or reconstruct a new one once you purchase it and understand the gimmick? Consider that I'm pretty good with arts and crafts.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Now we're talkin'!

If I can easily re-make the gimmick after I wear out my original purchase, then I'm all in!

Nothing I hate worse than purchasing a gimmick, spending time perfecting the effect for an audience, then the durned thing is worn out before an audience even gets to see me perform it! Why practice and learn it in the first place?

Anyway, I mentioned in past posts about the super cool gimmick for Gaeton Bloom's "Visible Monte," which I purchased years and years ago, and thought was a fabulously deceptive and invisible gimmick resulting in an equally fabulous, inscrutable (in the minds of spectators, at least) Monte routine. I employed my "formidable" arts and crafts skills and perfected making that gimmick myself, and because of that, I can perform the effect for a lifetime, even though it is no longer on the market.

Makes no sense to invest your valuable TIME into perfecting a routine, then not be able to have it in your repertoire due to a worn out gimmick!
That's my philosophy, at least.

So your post is a big plus on the side of me purchasing this.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
What a homerun! If Roddy McGhie never came up with anything else as to a trick, he delivered a giant piece of some interestingly clever magic with his "Little Door." It is amazing, especially as sorta not really a card trick but more so a trick with a deck of cards, supposedly exposing how it's done but cleverly delivering an enormous piece of magic through a small little door...that's not really there. Smile

This is just a wonderful closeup effect, one of the best IMHO of the last decade...perhaps of any decade...A real homerun, I say! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Even more than Card-Toon?
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
Anyone can let me know where to buy the dry sharpie? Thank you
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Prop dog, search for dry wipe.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I love this trick, but it takes a lot of care to place everything first and then my version was a bit hard to move.
Removing the marker is also not always a residue-free affair. To draw the door frame I made myself a stencil,
because I can't do it in the fast way to draw the door similar, a real hurdle of this trick !
Otherwise an ingenious surprising trick ... and much fun ...
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2019, Magic Dust wrote:
I love this trick, but it takes a lot of care to place everything first and then my version was a bit hard to move.
Removing the marker is also not always a residue-free affair. To draw the door frame I made myself a stencil,
because I can't do it in the fast way to draw the door similar, a real hurdle of this trick !
Otherwise an ingenious surprising trick ... and much fun ...

It just takes practise to do the drawing and I think you are losing some of the effect by using a stencil
Also I would try a different pen if it doesn’t clean off ok. I have been doing it since it was first released at Blackpool with no problem
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Same here love it. Olly
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
My gimmick is unfortunately a little bit misplaced so doesn't sit straight on the box (it's tilted a bit). Waited to long to really work with it so can't claim a replacement anymore. Does anyone can give a tip on how to disassemble the gimmick the best way without destroying it? thanks
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2020, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:
My gimmick is unfortunately a little bit misplaced so doesn't sit straight on the box (it's tilted a bit). Waited to long to really work with it so can't claim a replacement anymore. Does anyone can give a tip on how to disassemble the gimmick the best way without destroying it? thanks

I've done it a couple times and achieved success each time. I just tackled it the old fashioned way which is simply going very slowly and being extremely careful. I used a single edge razor blade to assist in carefully separating the layers. There may be other methods or tips such as using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive but I can't vouch for anything like that because I did not use anything like that.
It's been quite a while now so I can't remember too much about it to be honest and I don't have the gimmick in front of me. But IIRC it is just the back portion which you need to avoid harming. I believe all the other parts can be replaced fairly easily. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Door by Roddy McGhie (139 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37~38 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL