The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Where is your office located? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What do you suggest for the rehersal of illusions?
And what do you suggest for storage of illisions?

I thought $500 was a steal for a combined office / warehouse with a dock.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have no clue where you live or what size illusions you're speaking of and stored for how long.

It is just a $30,000 bill before you have even started. It may very well be a fantastic deal. But it seems probably 5X what an average storage space would cost for an average amount of illusions.

I was just curious what you thought the ROI was because 30 grand is a significant investment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thomas, just by having a larger a space does not increase the individual's income. It is what you do with it is what counts. To me you did the right thing as long as you practice more is your larger amount of space. Put in more time so that you are more professional. That is a piece in adding to more gigs. One additional gig per month will pay off the monthly rent/lease.

Another way I see a plus for you is with timing. From what you described, it is saving you time in storage to load and unload.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You could get a storage unit for $100, yes. But a storage unit is not a rehearsal space, nor is it an office.

And sorry.. I meant it would take 5 years to give a clear answer on a return on the investment... I plan to start performing the show next year.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You must have big illusions. If you feel uncomfortable fitting them in your home, you have no choice. A storage space is for you.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Exactly. To me, having a dedicated office space helps me get way more organized and focus when working. Same with the rehearsal space. To be able to have room for both AND have room for storage for sound equipment / merch products etc. it is well worth it.

And like you said... 1 show a month pays for it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Once you start booking them and getting paid for them. Then it starts to pay for it.

No a storage space is not a rehearsal space. But you won't be rehearsing constantly. But you will be paying constantly.

You can rent rehearsal spaces with lights and sound fairly cheap. You don't have to constantly pay out of pocket.

Starting a business is about money decisions.

When you rehearse you have to have assistants, light and sounds cues and on and on. It is an undertaking.

I'm just asking. It is not my money. I don't think it is bad or good. I don't have enough information to know. I hope it goes well for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I suppose I could have checked to see what the high school auditorium would charge to rent for a week at a time? I can't imagine a week would be under $1,000 for any type of good rehearsal space. And that's one week... Having the illusions in a storage space and having to rent a rehearsal space just to set them up and rehearse with sounds depressing to me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How many weeks will you rehearse? If it seems daunting to set up rehearsal doing the show nightly will paralyze you. What do you think touring a show is like? It would help you to learn all that. And you don't have a good rehearsal space. It doesn't sound as if you have sound or lighting, both of which would be critical for any successful illusion show and available fairly easily.

If you can't find a high school auditorium for almost nothing on off hours ok I believe you. Most welcome the association and are not expensive at all. At least that has been my experience. Especially if you trade out shows at the end and give them the money. It is literally no cost at all. Heck many community theaters would do it also. Space is not too hard to find when you look.

But if packing and unpacking is of value to you not to do then cool. As I said I'm not judging, just asking. You're doing what is right for you. You know that better than I do by far. Again I hope it works out for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thomas, years ago I got permission from a director of a non profit organization of homeless families to store my eqipmtment in back of their stage. I would also practice on their stage multiple times a week. We had a deal. I offered them a free magic show each month as a trade. What messed it up was the staff and I being uncomfortable with each other while I would practice as they ate lunch in the room. We later set a time for me to use the stage, not to interfere with the staff’s lunch time. But certain staff did not keep up with the rules.

Here is an old video of me performing in that area:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBLh7ww3QU
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Would be interested in hearing what other people use for rehersal space? Doesn't matter if it's close-up, stage or anywhere in between you have to rehearse somewhere.
Spare bedroom? Kitchen table? I could imagine some might have a really nice rehersal space in a finished basement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
Thomas, years ago I got permission from a director of a non profit organization of homeless families to store my eqipmtment in back of their stage. I would also practice on their stage multiple times a week. We had a deal. I offered them a free magic show each month as a trade. What messed it up was the staff and I being uncomfortable with each other while I would practice as they ate lunch in the room. We later set a time for me to use the stage, not to interfere with the staff’s lunch time. But certain staff did not keep up with the rules.

Here is an old video of me performing in that area:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBLh7ww3QU

This is the type of deal I'm talking about. Mike thank you for sharing.

This is a clever way to cut costs and get a great storage space.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Would be interested in hearing what other people use for rehersal space? Doesn't matter if it's close-up, stage or anywhere in between you have to rehearse somewhere.
Spare bedroom? Kitchen table? I could imagine some might have a really nice rehersal space in a finished basement.

If you are comfortable where you are continue what you do. I will list a few more places incase you change your mind:

Backyard.
Garage.
Make a deal with a school.
Make a deal with a church.
Make a deal with a nonprofit organization.
Make a deal with a hall.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Oh I'm very happy with what I currently have. I would be paying for an office anyways, and I would be paying for storage anyways, so paying a bit more to have an ideal space is what I want to do.

I was just curious what others use for rehearsal.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Dynamike, I totally understand if you don't wish to share, but how much were you paying for your office?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When I was in a commercial building I switched office suites. The first one I had was $350 monthly. A couple years later I switched to a larger office, $500 monthly.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Thanks for sharing.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
By the way Danny... While I had originally only intended to answer the original question of.. where is my office located? I do think your questions raise great points for others. For me, I would be renting an office and a storage unit anyways... To pay a little more and have it all in one room is worth it to me.

I do own some sound and lighting, but that's a technical rehearsal. I'm talking about a space where I can rehearse and block the entire show both piece by piece, and in separate components. I want to be able to do that on my schedule. So far, it's worked out great.

I'm typing this from a tour bus where we have 1 semi, and 3 bus trailers out on a 20 city tour (not magic). I'm all too familiar with the needs of loading in and out a touring show. ha.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Where is your office located? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL