The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Good Quality" Thimbles (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EmptySet
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of EmptySet
Yes, I'm the same guy who asked about good quality billiard balls.

On the same line of questioning, I've also been searching for good quality thimbles and would like to know your thoughts what are the good quality thimbles out there.

Thanks again for your help,

Geoff
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hocus Pocus Click on Joe Porper Prod. and scroll down to the thimbles.

New solid brass nesting thimbles. Check them out, very high priced but they look like they will do the job.

Next there is 'Topps Magic' thimbles made in plastic. Jeff McBride used them on his video. Very hard to find. Only about $6 for 9 thimbles set with different color thimbles for color changes.

Next standard metal thimbles sold at any fabric store. Comes in different sizes so can match to each finger. They are silver metal.

Next, same as McBride Thimbles only sold unpainted in hobby stores. These are very thick and not the best for thumb palming.

Next, Fakini is plastic thimble covered with superball type plastic. The plastic materal clings to the clothing so makes it difficult to steal.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
You can buy them from http://www.gycklaren.com go to the swedish title "trolleributik on line" then find "tillbehör" and search for "fingerborgar" (thats swedish for thimbles".

Gay Ljungberg who owns the store has bought the production rights of the plastic thimbles and glasses and the other products from Topps magic in Denmark.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Here ya go...best thimbles I've ever owned...highly recommended:

Universal Thimble Set

Detailed description:

(Quoting from the site) For the past several years, Jeff Scanlan, student and friend of Eugene Burger and Jeff McBride, has created a limited number of fine painted wooden thimbles for magical manipulation. Now, these fine sets are available to everyone. Included are eight red thimbles, three thimbles in different colors, two thimble holders and a booklet of basic instruction. Jeff McBride had this to say. "Congratulations! When I suggested to you that you put together a complete thimble set, I never imagined you'd do such a terrific job! These are quality wood thimbles. I haven't seen a better complete wood thimble set!"

Hope this helps!

Doug
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I would respectfully disagree with Doug regarding the Universal Thimble Set. They are great thimbles, but for me they have one serious flaw. They can not be nested. That means you can't do several of the sleights taught in Jeff's Master Manipulation videos.

If you don't ever want to nest, then these will probably do. They are well made, no question. But my needs caused me to go another route.

Steven
Coram Deo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If working real close up... use real thimbles.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You're right, Steve...never thought of that! Wow...bummer...I use 'em to practice at work between calls (tech support), and am doing a reasonably good color change...they're brightly colored...plus I'm a sucker for real wood stuff...

Sad to see they DON'T nest worth a ----. Thanks, Steve, for pointing that out...just checked out the Porper site and it's gone...that would be my recommendation, sorry for the Universal Thimble post.

My bad.

Doug
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Doug,

Don't worry about it. I actually love the Universal Set. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I tried to nest them. I still use them on occasion and they are an outstanding set, I just wanted to warn people about that one limitation.

If they were made to nest, I would recommend them unquestionably. They are still an outstanding set, save that one issue.

As to the Porper sight, it is down, but hocus-pocus carries the thimbles; so I've changed the link above to the correct page.

Steven
Coram Deo
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Depends on if you are needing to stack and do a falsh production-Steve Beam might sell you a stack of his old celluloid thimbles (small, visible, and stack very well). I also sue Frank Radtke's Fakini thimbles if I am only producing one at a time and doing some color changes-they look like coffee creamers and that makes for a nice reason to use them.
David
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
There are Fakini Billiard Balls- and there are Fakini Thimbles- one word, amazing! Just like the billiard balls:)

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I have had the Joe Porper set for about a year. I was one of the first to get them. They nest beautifully. They, also, look very much like real thimbles. So, Pete would be happy with them.
Only person to really "blow me away" with thimbles is Shimada. His had rhinestones glued to them.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2004-03-25 18:13, Kendrix wrote:
I have had the Joe Porper set for about a year. I was one of the first to get them. They nest beautifully. They, also, look very much like real thimbles...

I love nesting thimbles and I have thought about buying the Porper set, but I am worried about the noise of nesting/unnesting close-up. How is the noise factor?
Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The noise factor is the same as with metal store bought and ghe plastic set.

If you are making noise with your thimbles then you may consider practicing more.

I don't know of any noiseless thimbles.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Jeff Scanlan (Universal Thimble Set) was a student of mine, before he fell under the spell of "The Bearded One", and gave me one of the first sets of thimbles that were produced. At that time I mentioned to Jeff about the nesting factor and also about the cheesy (read that as cheap) construction of the holder. Apparently the nesting issue was never addressed. How about the holder?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
glennmagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of glennmagi
Can't remember who said to wrap the thimbles with colored band aids but I think its a good idea. Not sure is anyone but my grandmother knows what thimbles are.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » "Good Quality" Thimbles (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL