The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Beam me up! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Some of you may be familiar with The Workshop of Dr. Paul and Bill Montana. So today I wanted to share with you a project Dr. Paul just finished for a 12 year old boy who has autism. While its not a magic apparatus it will allow one to transport themselves to another world.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......drya.jpg

The electronics all work and as you turn on one light or turn off a light another light will turn on or off depending on what you button push. The transporter was made using a combination of legacy CNC machines and Epilog Laser equipment. Also notice all the complex angles on the unit which would not be easy to cut and hold tolerances on a table saw. As it sits this bad boy took over 60 hours (may be even 100 with the design and layout time to build but who's counting when it will make one 12 year old boy who has autism very happy. Time mentioned does not include custom electronic work which could add another 40 plus hours which was built by Mr Skillet who known more about vintage electronics than anyone I ever seen its also the first piece he built in several years most of the time hes flipping vintage electronic stuff. Really nice to see him build something for a change.

The step down transformer to power the led lighted laser engraved panels was also custom and a work of art in itself. What is the coolest thing ever is that the cooling fan is from the 1970s and when you turn the machine on it actually sounds like a transporter booting up. Other vintage parts used the red lens covers are from the 1950 and 60s that cover leds and the side panel on the right the lights alternate in a random pattern. Its out of control. The central panel is laser engraved led lighted acrylic. The panel (yellow one) was made from stacking thin acrylic film that was laser cut and engraved.

One of the coolest items to leave the workshop in some time and this one was all Dr. Paul. And I had to share it.

Just thought some of you trek fans would dig this custom build.

Oh yeah, do not look at what the equipment used to do this build costs. Because you will want them and Your wife has already said no. The machines used are 5 figures each. But work really well when do build this sort of thing any other way would have taken 100s of hours longer using conventional equipment just in set up time for the complex angles involved. While it may not be visible in the above photo this build has not 90 degree angles everything has complex bevels to the case and legs.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
That is one cool piece of work. And a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
That is a very awesome build, :> Thanks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Beam me up! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL