The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Need help with new illusion/mentalism trick... development and marketing... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gordmer
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
15 Posts

Profile of gordmer
I have come up with a new mentalism illusion which I think is quite good... but I need help with development and marketing from someone who has done this before... would be willing to take a royalty... the trick is called the opal eye... It involves a black stone glass medallion, completely black and set in a brass fitting. It sits around the magicians neck in plain sight. The magician explains that this black stone is a black opal eye... blah, blah, blah... it can read your thoughts. The mark is asked to select a free choice card from the deck and show or not show it to the magician or friends... then place the card back into the deck. The magician now places the stone inside their shirt, still hanging from the same chain... the mark is asked to place their hand on the medallion (through the shirt) and over the magicians heart... then asked to visualize the card... send the card through him... the medallion is pulled from his shirt and the stone has cleared to reveal the chosen card... Can also be done placed in the palm of the mark, or on the forehead of the magician so the mark can see the revealing... any thoughts on who I can trust to talk to about this?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20075 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Contact Penguin Magic and Murphy's Magic wholesaler.

You will need more then an idea, is a proven trick you have been presenting for several years?

Do you have samples and knowledge of the design and necessary props and gimmicks?

I don't think you will get a royalty fee, they will either purchase your trick, and manufacture it themselves, or you manufacture it and they sell and promote the effect, and you get a small fee on each one sold.

Penguin sells a book on putting magic trick on the market. See their website and read the information in the book. Sorry forgot the name of it.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2016, gordmer wrote:
I have come up with a new mentalism illusion which I think is quite good... but I need help with development and marketing from someone who has done this before... would be willing to take a royalty... the trick is called the opal eye... It involves a black stone glass medallion, completely black and set in a brass fitting. It sits around the magicians neck in plain sight. The magician explains that this black stone is a black opal eye... blah, blah, blah... it can read your thoughts. The mark is asked to select a free choice card from the deck and show or not show it to the magician or friends... then place the card back into the deck. The magician now places the stone inside their shirt, still hanging from the same chain... the mark is asked to place their hand on the medallion (through the shirt) and over the magicians heart... then asked to visualize the card... send the card through him... the medallion is pulled from his shirt and the stone has cleared to reveal the chosen card... Can also be done placed in the palm of the mark, or on the forehead of the magician so the mark can see the revealing... any thoughts on who I can trust to talk to about this?

To copyright your idea, send a PM to someone like Bill here on the Café. In it, explain in full, preferably with drawings, how the effect works. Bill can then take a screenshot of your PM to him, with the date and time stamp at the top, and send it back to you. Save the screenshot. And that's your effect copyrighted! If anyone copies your idea after that, you have the screenshot to fall back on to prove you thought of the idea first.

Most people do not realise that international copyright is automatic. You don't have to file anything to prove the idea is yours - the law works automatically. But you do have to prove you were the first to do so if there are ever any disputes. Hence, the screenshot.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
625 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Just to play devil' advocate, and hopefully NOT derail this thread, why would a screenshot which is highly manipulable be an acceptable proof internationally? I have heard of sending the material to yourself in a postmarked self-addressed envelope but never an email.
John
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
You patent an invention, you copyright an original work of authorship.

For inventions, in 2013 the united states switched from "first to invent" to "first to file". Most countries follow first to file also. There is no point in documenting when you invented something... all that matters is when you filed for a patent.

For copyright, you can simply add the words copyright and the date to the work you author. To go the extra mile, you can register your copyright for a modest fee (about $50). There would be no point in trying to have someone else involved in a copyright. If you haven't authored anything, there is nothing to copyright.

The sad truth is, in most cases legal costs make fighting infringement cost prohibitive in the magic industry.
deaton
View Profile
New user
Winter Park Florida
55 Posts

Profile of deaton
In my opinion, assuming you have a valid working prototype, your best bet is to sell it outright to a reputable dealer and let them deal with any legalities if they like. You'll still have the pride of inventing the trick, your name will appear on its packaging and instructions, and you will make a very modest amount of money. No one I know ever got rich inventing retail magic. But they have enhanced their reputations for having done so.
Original Old Town Magic Shop owner near Walt Disney World. Former Bozo the Clown in S.W. Ohio TV market. Was the founder and artistic director of Pinocchio's Maroionette Theater in Central Florida. Actor, writer, director, magic and spook show enthusiast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Need help with new illusion/mentalism trick... development and marketing... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL