The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Legion - Name Divination (Android / iOS) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
Here's the skinny on Andreu's new name (and star sign) divination app, called Legion.* It is available both in Android and iOS versions. I bought the Android version.

As we know, a name divination is one of the most powerful effects in the mystery arts. Andreu's Legion app gives us a terrific tool for achieving a stunning, and stunningly clean and devious, name divination, which comes out of left field. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into building the algorithm that makes this thing work, but work it does.

Andreu demonstrated this for me over Skype instant messaging, meaning we were typing messages to each other in real time from our respective computers in different countries. He told me about a free app he had found that generates really good numerology readings. He provided me a link to the app, which I downloaded to my phone. He asked me to bring someone to mind (I thought of my friend and neighbor, Kevin, whom I had seen that morning) and to follow the app's onscreen instructions for generating their core numerological numbers and profile. There was no math for me to do and NO ENTERING THE PERSON'S NAME. A few seconds later I had on my phone screen a concise but thorough numerology profile. It contained the sorts of information one would expect of a numerological reading, akin to a horoscope: personality traits, talents, abilities, desires, life challenges, inner goals, opportunities, relationships, etc.

Andreu asked if the reading I got was a pretty good description of the person I had in mind. It was. And then, out of the blue, came the question: By the way, by any chance, is this person's name . . . KEVIN? Wow.Thrilling.

Legion works that seamlessly for pretty much any English/American name I've thrown at it, male or female. I say "pretty much" because a few uncommon or dated names have stumped it (e.g., Hampton, Curtis, Roman, Lester). Andreu tells me that he's busy at work enhancing the already impressive name list. Besides, a little verbal guidance and participant choice should all but eliminate the chances of them settling on an odd or uncommon name that won't fly. But in the unlikely event you should get one of those . . .

Andreu has cleverly built into Legion a combination bonus/fail-safe feature--a star sign divination. If, for the numerology app reading, you guide the spectator to think of someone whose birthday they know (or of their own name and birthday, if they haven't told you their name), not only will Legion secretly give you the person's name but also their star sign. Even if by some small chance the name divination comes up zero (remember, they don't know that you intend to divine the name), you can still rock them with the star sign divination.

You can perform Legion either remotely (Skype, Skype messaging, Facebook, phone call, text messaging, etc.) or in person. For remote performances, such as Andreu did with me, things will commence by having the mark download and install the previously mentioned free, apparently third-party numerology app from the Google Store or from the App Store, depending on whether they have an Android or an iPhone. The same goes for in-person performances where you want them to use their phone such that your phone is never (visibly) in play. The other option is simply to have them open the numerology app on your phone, generate the numerology profile (out of your view), and then close the app. Regardless, literally within seconds, Legion will have covertly delivered the name and star sign to your phone for instant (yet hidden to others) access with a simple thumb swipe.

I've emailed Andreu some suggestions that I think would make Legion even better in terms of the Numerology app's layout, content, and interface. It's fine as it is but certain aspects could definitely be improved. Andreu says he’s working to implement these mostly stylistic modifications as we speak.

It should be apparent by now that I rate Legion highly. Some might quibble with having to have the spectator download an app to their phone (for remote performances or for in-person performances using their phone). Fair enough, I suppose, but the payoff is more than worth it. Personally, I think of it as giving a stranger a gift, a free, fun and interesting little app that they can show family and friends to try out numerology. Otherwise, you can always just have them open the Numerology app on your phone and do Legion that way. Quick and easy, with the benefit of a totally motivated peek of the info as you put your phone away. Now you're set to reveal the name and star sign, either immediately or, if you're wicked, you can let things breathe awhile (time misdirection) before knocking them out.

My rating of Legion -- The Name (and Star Sign) Divination app, for Android or iOS: 9/10

*I've posted this same review in the Latest & Greatest section thread about the Legion app: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
Update to review:

Okay, I took this baby (Legion) out for a test drive last night. Big crowd at an upscale NYC hotel lounge and restaurant. I got CRAZY GOOD reactions!! Literally people screaming or shell shocked, or both. Once the reactions started, everybody wanted in.

You know how for parties, if there's a magician and a palm reader, the biggest crowd will always be at the palm reader's table? It was like that. People crowded around, waiting in a semblance of a line, wanting to get a numerology reading and, as word got out, waiting in disbelief to see if I could tell them their name or the name of the person they got a numerology reading of. I was divining names and star signs all night. It was quite the commotion. Even the staff insisted that I stay and "do" them once the crowd started to break up.

Get this: I was only using the offline version of Legion, meaning that I let them use the Numerology app on my phone. There is such a disconnect between the benign information they input for the numerology reading (NOT the person's name or the letters of their name) and the subsequent name reveal that people just don’t associate your divination of the name with your phone or the numerology app--especially since there's nothing untoward on your phone screen for them to see when they've done generating the reading and closed the app, and you immediately pocket your phone, well before hitting them with the name reveal.

I definitely intend to also use the online version of Legion, which will take my phone out of visible play completely, but frankly it wasn't necessary last night and I don't know that the reveals would have been any stronger for it. I do know that people found numerology and the in-play Numerology app fascinating and fun. If I had offered them a link to get the app themselves to use on their own phone, I have no doubt that they would have jumped at the chance. I plan to do that in less hectic performance environments, the kinds of situations where a name reveal can be deeply effecting (first kiss, loved one, etc.) and should be given time to breathe. In these more intimate settings, I expect that getting them WANTING the free numerology app you've heard about will be the most natural thing in the world (especially if you tell them you don't have your phone with you). This is myth-making stuff. Use your powers for good.

Legion is a total blast. Get it!! You'll thank me.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Is there a live UNCUT demo of the effect ? Any prep/pre-show work ?
Long Island,

New York
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Yes there is one here...

Www.andreumind06.wix.com/legionary

Rob
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Yes there is one here...

Www.andreumind06.wix.com/legionapp

Rob
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Relick666
As you guys may know I stopped supporting this as a mobile app some time ago.

As of now, 2018, Legion is again available as a personal numerology website!

www.andreumind06.wix.com/legionapp

Please go through the website before asking something already explained in there.

Andreu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Legion - Name Divination (Android / iOS) (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL