The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A New Low (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The concept of "what is magic" in any culture changes over time, and the mangling of the term "magic" by marketers nothing new.
At least the claim by a cleaning product to be magic implies that an "impossible " stain is easily removed or that the end results is better than expected from other products.

But now there is a TV ad for mayonnaise on making the alleged perfect grilled cheese sandwich - evenly browned crust I guess.
When the slathered bread is placed on the grill they say, "here is where the magic happens."

No, you get exactly what is expected - a uniform browning of grease. Forget the quality or combination of cheese. Ignore the desires of your guests.
Who cares about temperature of the grill or the addition of a pickle slice. Just buy the right mayonnaise. Magic is simple.

Sad for me. If everything is magic then nothing is magic. The cheese is probably fake too.

No wonder spectators call out, "where can I get that app?"

as a sidebar, IGO mayonnaise is magic when applied to skin ailments on your dog. It is the only one that has the "no lemon juice" formula that works.
The dog can't lick it all off at it is more effective than expensive creams. I'll take a happy dog over a lousy cheese sandwich any day.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Panties in a wad?

We don't own the word magic, nor the right to determine its definition.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes I never understood the need of some to try to proclaim words are theirs.

For me if we did that I would have a term different from "magician" to describe those who do not work professionally.

More has been done to devalue the word "magic"" by alleged magicians both professional and not.

But if spectators are calling out "where can I get that app?" during your performance it has nothing to do with a TV commercial and everything to do with your performance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes I never understood the need of some to try to proclaim words are theirs.

I understand that "sharp" caused a huge ruckus between musicians and knife makers.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I always look for ways to embrace things... appropriate them for my benefit.

When I was first pitching restaurants I had a sales book that I would use as I explained what I do. In it were many ads that I'd cut from magazines, etc. in which the word "magic" was used. I explained how "magic" was the number one word in advertising... and how it would also work for their restaurant. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
I always look for ways to embrace things... appropriate them for my benefit.

When I was first pitching restaurants I had a sales book that I would use as I explained what I do. In it were many ads that I'd cut from magazines, etc. in which the word "magic" was used. I explained how "magic" was the number one word in advertising... and how it would also work for their restaurant. Smile

Rather than fight progress a wise man embraces it. Good point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Caramelizing starches, denaturing proteins, slaughtering bacteria wholesale - there is a sort of magic going on.

I've read somewhere that cooking with fire was a key step, allowing early humans to free up otherwise unavailable calories. Just what was needed to spread out of Africa and overrun the planet. Fire good. Cooking magic. Grilled cheese with Mayo? Insane.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:

Rather than fight progress a wise man embraces it.

That is the difference then. I don't see this as progress. Change, yes, To me, "progress" implies improvement. I don't see any.

I posted this to acknowledge the change -- suggesting that the wise magician take the changes of perceptions about magic into account when designing a routine.

I don't think these dilutions of language are for the best, and certainly not for magic as an art form. Just an opinion.

Please explain how the change of the term magic from some reference to "inexplicable phenomena" to a ubiquitous marketing term is progress.

How does it help a magician today prepare a routine? What can they assume about a general audience with regards to how they perceive magic?

The next time a magician says, "Here is where the magic happens," what will the audience be thinking?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:

The next time a magician says, "Here is where the magic happens," what will the audience be thinking?

That they have been transported back in time to 1930.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The word "magic" has been used in marketing for a least a century.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the idea that somehow it is a new phenomenon is ridiculous.

Again if one thinks that somehow it is the reason for how people react to their work that is just not true. It is convenient I admit because it requires no work on the act. But it is delusional. Self delusional to be specific.

People are not thinking anything about your show based on hearing the word magic used as a marketing tool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2016, funsway wrote:
Quote:

Rather than fight progress a wise man embraces it.

That is the difference then. I don't see this as progress. Change, yes, To me, "progress" implies improvement. I don't see any.

I posted this to acknowledge the change -- suggesting that the wise magician take the changes of perceptions about magic into account when designing a routine.

I don't think these dilutions of language are for the best, and certainly not for magic as an art form. Just an opinion.

And as such, you are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
Please explain how the change of the term magic from some reference to "inexplicable phenomena" to a ubiquitous marketing term is progress.

Apples and oranges. When I see a 3 year old dancing to the radio, or an 80 year old man dancing at a wedding, I think "They are dancing." I do not disparage the fact that the world of ballroom dancing, or ballet is diminished because of such a loose representation of the art. I doubt anyone does.

Progress need not enter this equation. It is elitist and unfair to make such comparisons. In fact, I see the use of the word magic in advertising to be a grand act of respect. It is obvious that the company thinks highly of their product. They wish to convey that to the viewer. If they choose to use the word magic, this speaks volumes for their definition of magic. They have bestowed high accolades on the word if they chose it above all others to describe the best attributes of their product.
Quote:
How does it help a magician today prepare a routine?

A wise magician understands the level of esteem that is possible when presenting magic. The very word elicits images of wonderful things. The magician simply has to present his magic in a manner that best represents his definition of it... regardless of what others do. Lead by example... not by pointing out the faults of others as you perceive them.

Quote:
What can they assume about a general audience with regards to how they perceive magic?

Every audience comes to the show with preconceptions, and every audience is different. It matters not how they perceive magic when they come to the show, but how they perceive it when they leave.

Quote:

This I cannot answer. But I'm pretty sure they WON'T be thinking, "Magic?? Great... This is going to suck as bad as that cheese sandwich I had last week."

In spite of what and how often we think about our magic, the general public does not come close to matching that.

Magicians do far more to damage the name of magic than a world of companies that bandy about the word "magic".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Some persuasive thoughts, Michael -- and I am happy to change some of my perspective on the importance of the term.

Yet, it still seems a "new low" in the long history of advertising using the word magic in various ways.
Here, they did not say the result was magical or suggest a happy experience -- they said, "Here is where the magic happens."

Perhaps what I desire is a word to use in discussing "inexplicable phenomena" if the word "magic" now has devolved into meaning whatever the marketer wants.

When a poster asks, "How do I make this effect more magical," what is he requesting? To engender thoughts of wonderful things? To shift from Theater magic to Virtual magic ala Schneider?

An old question is, "If as a magician you pretend at magic, what is it you are pretending at? What mental image of magic is the performer attempting to communicate with the audience?

Yes, "How they perceive it when they leave" is a great objective. How is this achieved by assaulting a stranger with, "Wanna see a trick?"

The perceptions of what magic is has changed in recent decades for both the performer and spectator. How does today's performer incorporate that change into routine design?

Food for Thought. Maybe the answer is that no one cares.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Perception of EVERYTHING changes on a daily basis and intelligent creative people change along with the times. They do not pine away for a bygone era that will never return claiming how much better it was "back in my day" and so forth.

Perception of what magic even is has changed since advancement happens. As a performer (See that is the key you must be performing for people, not just thinking about it.) you grow as things change and you simply hardly ever notice it. What works, what doesn't work and so forth are just part of your own evolution. You see how things are changing so you change with them and hardly know it.

Words change, meaning changes. Computer "hackers" used to be guys who sling code and "crackers" were the guys who broke into places. Now the term "hacker" is a catch all. What can you do? Life moves along and it is a good thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Danny, I prefer to think myself among the old-timers that "pine away" for a bygone era that will never return... but I do it with tongue planted firmly in cheek. First, because I am old enough to wear the hat properly, and second because I feel that much devolution is happening in our world. But, I think with that age has come wisdom. This tells me that what I see as worthy, possibly has no place for future generations. Will they miss it? No, because a person cannot miss something they never knew.

As you pointed out, everything changes. But as for intelligent and creative people changing along with it, that can only apply to those who are in a position to change. Many are not.

Ken, the term "here is where the magic happens" is no more a lie than what we tell our audiences.

Looking for a new word to describe "inexplicable phenomena" sounds as if your thinking has been influenced by the rest of society's desire to find words that attempt to split hairs with everyone's "feelings" on any number of issues. It always seems to boil down to POV. We look outward and discuss the "unemployed". But, it isn't uncommon to hear a person refer to themselves as "between jobs".

All such arguments over terminology seem to have as a goal to elevate the status of someone. Personally, I think this can devolve to the point of stupidity. I read and hear arguments constantly over the term "magician". There are some who refuse to use the term to describe themselves. It seems they fear being compared to the cliché image of "magician". They call themselves "mindfreaks", "anti-conjurers", "illusionistas", and a host of other monikers that seem hell-bent on bursting the seams of even the largest Thesaurus. ("I'm not a garbage man. I'm a sanitation engineer.")

The irony is that the rest of the world doesn't play by the same self-imposed rules. Personally, I rather enjoy watching some lay person refer to them all as magicians, and the ensuing butt-puckering that follows.

Quote:
Yes, "How they perceive it when they leave" is a great objective. How is this achieved by assaulting a stranger with, "Wanna see a trick?"

Not my circus, not my monkeys. Why is it yours?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Michael!

IMO, you've said it well, Thanks!!! (I always gain something from your posts!)

I read down the thread, and, was wondering how best to comment. You have saved me from getting callouses on my fingers!

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You are correct, Michael, that not avery one is in a position to change. To which I might add, have the desire to change or to recognize any benefit from change.

Change does not automatically equate to improvement, advancement or progress. I am not resistant to change, just wish to see some reason for doing so other than "others are doing it."

Many people like Taylor Swift (especially herself). One might say that America's taste in music has apparently changed. That does not mean I have to like her.

She is still scrawny, cannot sing on key and does not have a life style or ethics anyone should emulate. That has not changed.

Now, if I chose to run a nightclub to make money I might try and book her, repressing my taste to that of the paying public.
Or, I might focus on those who enjoy Classical Guitar. Either way, the change in general taste requires no change on my part.

I will attempt to enjoy the dynamics of change in magic more -- perhaps accepting that any live magic performance is better than no live magic performance.

Most people today will never realize the magic they have missed - in a performance and in life. I can't change that, but I can offer my regrets.

Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Such a stimulating discussion. Michael, you have wonderful points. Our goal as a communicator is to be understood by the most people. I could call what I do anything I want but the reality is I want the viewer to define it as it works for them. One thread was discussing what it takes to be a magician. My personal feeling is that it is not what we do but when we are perceived as a magician by the audience. It is a mantle bestowed upon us and not a title we can claim. It's the same with magic, solutions, tricks, stunts or whatever else resonates with the audience. I don't care if they call me a magician, and illusionist or any other title. They can call me "trick boy" for all I care. As long as I can create a feeling of awe and amazement in their mind that transcends their expectations, I'll be happy. I really feel like the terminology is more self-imposed out of insecurity. We keep trying to find more and more glorious terms to self identify with in order to increase our sense of worth. Danny has correctly noted the terms and titles changed over the years and for younger viewers, they might define us is something much different than their grandparents would. We can either be stuck in the past and continue to stubbornly cling to old habits and terminology or allow the youth to move us forward. Is it always better? Of course not. That's not as important as the ability to remain fluid and flow in the present state. That keeps us vital and in touch with life. The titles, names and terms don't matter to me. The important thing is the feelings and emotions the spectators allow me to create in their minds. They can call it anything and define it anyway they want as long as they continue to allow me the chance to bring these things to life for them.
Ray Pierce
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well put, Ray.

Now get off of my lawn, whippersnapper!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think the idea that it is "new" or a "low" is ridiculous.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A New Low (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL