We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Has Duplicity replaced Twisted Sisters or B'wave for you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
963 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Now that Duplicity (by John Bannon, circa 2008) has been out for 8 years, how well is it holding up, especially in comparison to Twisted Sisters (by John Bannon, circa 1993) and B'wave (Phil Goldstein/Max Maven, circa 1990)? Is it passing the test of time, and proving as good or better than its predecessors, or over the long run do you find Twisted Sisters or B'Wave to be superior?

There are lots of old threads comparing B'Wave (more of a mentalism/prediction effect) with Twisted Sisters (more of a magical/transposition effect). But what's the verdict on how Duplicity compares with them? A few thoughts to start: Unlike Twisted Sisters, Duplicity doesn't require two spectators, the plot is a little less complex/confusing, and you finish clean with everything examinable; plus the use of blank faced cards instead of jokers arguably strengthens the final reveal. Like Twisted Sisters, Duplicity benefits from an initial Elmsley count. But you do need to master some basic equivoque for Duplicity, which is already familiar from B'wave. Although B'wave can't be beat for sheer simplicity/elegance, I personally wonder if Duplicity packs more punch.

If you've given Duplicity a fair run and have also tried Twisted Sisters or B'wave previously, now with the benefit of time/experience, which is the effect you find yourself using more today, getting the best reactions with, and why?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4200 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I had used Twisted Sisters for years but pretty much replaced it with Duplicity for the sole reason of it being totally fractal. Also, they do pack the same punch (in my experience) and both can be used revealing blanks or jokers (I don't prefer either so I use whatever is handy). Plus, Duplicity doesn't require 2 spectators. You could use You and the spectator or just the spectator and change the patter / presentation to be more like Twisted Sisters (they are essentially the same effect in mechanics IMO).
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2820 Posts

Profile of fonda57
They're all great. But I've always loved B'Wave and that's the one I carry around
EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
963 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Even though it's a mentalism effect, one thing B'Wave really has going for it is clarity. In his book "Strong Magic" Darwin Ortiz really emphasizes the idea and importance of clarity in an effect.

As good as Twisted Sisters is, it does suffer from a lack of clarity because the plot can be confusing, especially because there are two potential scenarios about how to interpret the transposition (depending on what the spectator chooses), i.e. is the transposition apparent, or is it implied? I realize that a good presentation can help overcome this, but even so, do you think Duplicity overcomes this lack of clarity? It does need to be very clear in the minds of the audience what has actually transposed - a color, a card, or?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic? Contact me via Private Message.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2820 Posts

Profile of fonda57
If you have Twisted Sisters you have two sets of B'wave ready to go.
Jon Strum
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
I am a huge fan of Duplicity. I prefer it to Twisted Sisters because everything is examinable. I prefer it to B'wave because it suggests stronger interaction between performer and spectator, as each is holding a packet of 4 cards and the spectator is determining what is happening to the cards in the performer's hand. And I love the multiple surprises at the end of Duplicity. The first surprise is the same as B'wave, the second is a transposition of cards that have only been thought of, and then there's the blank cards kicker at the end. This trick kills for me every single time I perform it.
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
misterbill
View Profile
Veteran user
Bill Thompson
390 Posts

Profile of misterbill
Nothing can replace B'wave or Twisted Sisters! They will stay in the working case.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
IMHO, B'Wave has the end effect as mentalisim and Twisted Sister and Duplicity are magic. All are good. I do like using Duplicity over Twisted Sister.
misterbill
View Profile
Veteran user
Bill Thompson
390 Posts

Profile of misterbill
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
IMHO, B'Wave has the end effect as mentalisim and Twisted Sister and Duplicity are magic. All are good. I do like using Duplicity over Twisted Sister.

I agree, B'Wave is a prediction, whereas Twisted Sisters with an Elmsley is pure magic with cards turning over and transpositions taking place.

I like doing B'Wave one on one with an individual. Twisted Sisters on the otherhand, I like to do before an audience with two spectator volunteers.

Although Duplicity ends clean and is pretty much the same effect with aces instead of queens, I'm still partial to Twisted Sisters.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Has Duplicity replaced Twisted Sisters or B'wave for you? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL