The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Small close-up or strolling case pictures please - Who owns one of these cases? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I have seen a few people carrying a small metal close up case to jams. I really like it. It looks much like one of these.

http://www.leison911.com/ProductsPic/201261841518545.JPG

I am curious, if you use one. How you have things organized in there.. Did you get some foam and make sections? I am really interested in picking one of these up. I think they look small, sleek and super bond-ish professional. Especially the black ones with silver trim, or vise-versa.

I just want to see what all you can fit in there to help me get a feel for which size to pick up. I want to get one as small as possible, yet large enough to hold the things I need for strolling and a few extra one off items.

So, again, if you have one of these, use one of them or anything similar. Please, share your pictures. I would love to see your case! (And organizational skills! haha)

Thanks everyone!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
You can find the cases in any large photograpy store such as B&H in NY & on line.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Id love to see some in person so I will go and check out one of the stores. that would be awesome... Ive tried like, laying my props out on the floor and measuring how much space it takes up, but I don't think that does it any justice. Im a little OCD, so I want to have foam in there that has cut outs for each prop like a spy-case in the movies. haha

Still trying to figure out how to pull that off, Plus when its closed and I'm carrying it I don't want coins flopping around in there and things to shift as it gets tossed around. that's the idea anyway.

that's why I am hoping someone has something similar and I can see a picture of how they have it set up. Im also going back n forth between pick a pluck foam, and doing multipul layers of a thin foam. Or if I should do a solid block of foam and try cutting out each slot with a craft knife.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
The pick and pluck will probably be the most versitile and can be changed at will. I have no idea about the layers but I wouldn't do a solid block. If you do it will take time to carve and is irreversible. Velcro is another option and allows you to put in pouches and purses. It can also be changed on a whim
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Harbor Freight Tools. You can get a silver or black case for about $25.00. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-i......272.html . they also have one about half the size for $15.00. They are great.
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
+1 for the Harbor Freight aluminum case. I bought a couple in black last weekend, and they're unbeatable for $29.99: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-......271.html . Notably, they're the perfect depth for a vertical deck of cards.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! I'm a case "freak", too~! I've bought cases at Harbor Freight and similar places, and I agree they do have a good assortment, and their prices are reasonable. The case that I've been using for my 45 minute school show for the last 25 or 30 years came from a salesmen's luggage manufacturer in New York. It wasn't much more expensive than the Harbor Freight cases.

I suggest that you check out thrift shops. I have picked up a half dozen cases, such as old photographer's cases, at very reasonable prices (as little as a dollar or two!). Most of them were like new, or new! When I "usta" do hospitality suites for trade shows, I found the photographer type cases ideal. I could load my pockets, and park the case behind the bar.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Harbor Freight has a 20% coupon on their home page for August 11-13, 2017, along with a free flashlight, batteries, and microfiber cloths:
https://www.harborfreight.com/
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
As to foam, look into "Cut Foam"; also available at camera shops, among other places.

They are thick foam sheets that have been pre-cut into small squares so, when in a case, you can remove some of the squares to leave you with a custom hole for your props. They won't be the exact shape of a given prop, but depending how small the squares are, you can get close enough.

Much easier than gouging out holes in solid foam.
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2017, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
As to foam, look into "Cut Foam"; also available at camera shops, among other places.

They are thick foam sheets that have been pre-cut into small squares so, when in a case, you can remove some of the squares to leave you with a custom hole for your props. They won't be the exact shape of a given prop, but depending how small the squares are, you can get close enough.

Much easier than gouging out holes in solid foam.

The Harbor Freight case above includes this type of foam, as well as dividers to use instead of the foam.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
BTW, the foam is also known as "repositionable foam inserts"
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
I have something very similar - I got it at Home Depot, dividers are adjustable:

https://app.photobucket.com/u/DoubleBell......cca6c088
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I use 2 of these aluminium cases on a stand, 1 as a table on my right. 1 on the left open with things I need during the stage event.
Very Practical and look good.

I have a few at home each for separate power cords, Mic leads, speaker leads etc for my PA systems. Reliable cases
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Small close-up or strolling case pictures please - Who owns one of these cases? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL