The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » LIST: Top Courses for Growing Your Magic Business...Top 3 and more... (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I wanted to make a post with a list of some of the best courses, because in my opinion the best way to learn about how to grow your business is to invest in a course. This is much better than trying to learn here on the Café because a course is written in a way that it covers more info and takes you in a specific direction, from getting started to more in depth things to work on for your business. This approach is much better than a one-off topic post approach here on the Café. The Café is great for discussion, but if you are serious about growing your business, invest in a course. Here are some of the best:

-Showbiz Blueprint by Barry Friedman this is the course you take that will teach you how to get paid five digits for an appearance (by five digits I mean $10,000 or much much higher), I am not to that point yet, but might take it next year or in the next few years. Even though I am still in my opinion far from getting paid five digits for an appearance, I would like to go ahead and learn and apply what the Blueprint teaches. Learn more at http://launch.showbizblueprint.com/

-The Real Secrets System by Lou Serrano this is the ideal course for someone just starting out to a few years into their business. I took Lou's strategies and built a respectable business that I am proud of and am making enough money from my magic business to live a comfortable life. I applied what he teaches on a local and regional level and it is continuing to go strong. If you are trying to get your business to the point where it makes enough to support you, Lou's course is a great choice because not only will it get you there, you will earn more than you expected. http://www.sixfiguremagic.com/

-The Art of Presenting Magic to Children by Danny Orleans along with his book Kids Show Masterplan. I never thought I would do kid shows, but one of the most frequent questions I get is "do you do kid's parties?" so I got over myself and realized it would be a good business decision to do kid's parties. Danny's video was excellent and got my kid show business going. One thing that makes his course different is not only does he cover the business side of things, but he also covers the performance side of things so in that respect it truly is a fully comprehensive course. I didn't think I'd like doing kid shows but I'm glad I had an open mind and tried it because I have found I do enjoy it. http://www.dannyorleansmagic.com/magic-p......children

In my opinion, these are the top courses you can get for growing your magic business, now here are a few more worth mentioning:

-Entertainers Marketing Academy by Matt Fore I heard Matt give a presentation and was convinced he knows what he's talking about and has some great ideas for sales and marketing. I bought his course but have not yet had a chance to go through it. http://www.entertainersmarketingacademy.com/

-A Modern Tradeshow Handbook by Seth Kramer I have heard from a number of different sources that this is where you start if you want to do trade shows http://www.sethkramerproductions.com/handbook.htm

-The Entertainment Business Center by Mindpro Mindpro offers 3 ebooks, one on Press and Media, one a Business Toolkit for business operations, one a Tax and Business Organization System, and coaching. One cannot help but wonder, why does Mindpro not publish under his actual name? Every other course here is published by the person's actual name, what is Mindpro hiding and why? Despite this questionable credibility, Mindpro frequently makes valuable posts here on the Café and I have seen positive reviews for some of his products, primarily the Press and Media product, I have also heard positive feedback about his coaching from at least one of his students. http://www.entertainmentsuccess.com/toolkit.html

-Brand Your Gigs by Nathan Allen This course covers a specific set of topics: posters, banners, and business cards, and so I far I have only viewed the free 60 minute video, but just that video alone is excellent. Nathan covers so much content and tells you everything you need to do on each of these marketing pieces. He also covers how to get testimonials/reviews from clients and it is some of the best info I have seen on this topic. https://brandyourgigs.wordpress.com/

Here are a few historical courses, I'm not even sure if all of them are still available:

-Tradeshow University by Harrison Carroll I really like Harrison's old school charm, as seen in his recruiting video where he asks, "how would like to travel the world, stay in the nicest places, eat at the best restaurants, and get paid lots of money to do it?" I have not taken this course and maybe the principles still apply today, I don't know. It is interesting that he has testimonials from Lance Burton and Mac King, respectable testimonials yet they seem a little out of place considering Lance and Mac don't do trade shows. http://www.thetradeshowuniversity.com/Welcome/welcome.php

-Dave Dee and Jack Turk I have heard good things about their course, but I'm not even sure if it is still available and last I heard they got out of magic and went to work for the direct response marketing guru Dan Kennedy

-Jim Snack I have heard good things about his course, and if you go back into the Tricky Business section here on the Café you can find some valuable posts by Jim Snack, but I'm not even sure if his course is still available

In my opinion, here are some courses that are needed, because nothing to my knowledge exists that comprehensively covers these topics:

-How to do a public show, whether it be two wall or four wall, I don't know of a course that covers this topic and it is something I would like to learn about

-A comprehensive tradeshow course - I wish there were a course that covered how to do trade shows, the business and marketing side as well as the performance side

-How do to a show for adults - what I mean is a course that is more about performing, Danny Orleans course does this from a kid show point of view, but I wish there was something comparable for adult shows

As I mentioned, the first three courses are the ones that I believe are the best, although I have only directly put into action Lou Serrano's course and Danny Orleans course, and those two have had the greatest impact on my business. As it stands now the kids shows make up about 30% of my business, then 30% from restaurants, then the majority is about 40% from corporate and private parties, also I am well aware that more growth is most possible from the corporate/private party line of revenue.

I share all these courses in the hope that if you are interested in learning how to grow your magic business, it behooves you to invest in a course. Magic Café is a place for discussion, but it is not the place to come to learn. A course is a focused direction, and in my opinion is the much better way to learn.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How have each of these helped you grow your business and to what level?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
How have each of these helped you grow your business and to what level?


I commented on each one how they have helped me and to some extent what level. The one's I have learned the most from are the Lou Serrano course and the Danny Orleans course, read my comments on those. Also the 2nd to last paragraph of the post touches on to what level.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7320 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:

-Dave Dee and Jack Turk I have heard good things about their course, but I'm not even sure if it is still available and last I heard they got out of magic and went to work for the direct response marketing guru Dan Kennedy


The Dave Dee line of products was sold to Jack Turk. After Jack ran it for many years, he sold the line of Dave Dee & Jack Turk products to Brad Ross. As far as I'm aware, Brad hasn't put those products back online yet. But last I heard, he owned the line.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I ask because the Jim Snack stuff is great.

I also think that prior to getting a "course" it is important to set goals. Manageable goals that is to say.

Some courses can be great to help progress, some simply keep a performer at the level they are but busier. Nothing wrong with either one mind you it is just that if you expect one and get the other disappointment abounds.

The "courses" you are pining away for do not exist because they are called a mentorship. Trade show material does exist.

Learning how to perform is not a course, it is not that easy. It takes far more than a course to learn. It is a commitment. It takes lots of experience and that is what makes the show good. The information can not be distilled down and be effective. This is why many young performers act as stage hands, roadies, and so forth to gain experience while they learn. Those are the courses.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7320 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:

-Jim Snack I have heard good things about his course, and if you go back into the Tricky Business section here on the Café you can find some valuable posts by Jim Snack, but I'm not even sure if his course is still available


Here's a link: http://www.success-in-magic.com/store/

And: http://www.success-in-magic.com/

Jim runs a special now and then, so it's a good idea to opt into his email list.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7320 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A couple of previous threads (related to this topic) that might be helpful for some:

Magic Café thread titled... Top Five Marketing Courses for Magicians

Magic Café thread titled... Beware Of Who You Buy Knowledge From....

(Note - Creative Coach, aka John Cooper, passed away a few years ago, but I really enjoyed his posts on the Café.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8873 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:
One cannot help but wonder, why does Mindpro not publish under his actual name? Every other course here is published by the person's actual name, what is Mindpro hiding and why?


While I appreciate your compliments your commentary is incorrect. Tim, this has been explained here and understood by many before. Just because you may not know or understand doesn't make it suspect as you seem to imply. You are again speaking of something you obviously know nothing about. This is also fully explained when someone is approved to purchase my materials and agrees to such terms and understanding. I have for nearly 30 years released things to other markets (non-conflicting to me being a performer) under my actual name. It is only here in a publicly searchable forum that this is a necessary component to my business model. Sorry for whatever reason you can't understand this. It does not make it "hiding" in any way. Many here do know who I am and respect my business model (whether they would agree or not) and decision to operate this way. Plus, to also be clear I have many other products and materials (near 100 releases), however I have only made three available as of now to this community. One need not wonder anything, it's been well documented and explained many times.

While your list is interesting one must remember perspective and needs are most important in determining recommendations. It is also important to remember, much of what you've included are materials for magicians, mine are materials for entertainers. Quite a difference. I offer nothing for magicians only, due to the point and perspective from which my materials are offered.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Some books on the subject that I own-

John Pyka's "Theatrical Magic Omnibus" has ALOT of great info about 2-walling and 4-walling shows, as well as putting theatrical shows together. The e-book is a steal at $9.99 on Amazon or Lybrary.

I have J. C. Sums "The Showbiz Master Plan" the e-book is $49 and I think it's over priced. Lots of filler material. Still some very good advice, and there is one point on writing out proposals that I haven't seen in any other plan that is pretty much worth the $50 to me.

"Illusion Show Business" and "Professional Secrets of Kramien" - get these!!! So much good info in here. Some is a bit dated but he really explains the business that he was in well. He doesn't need to add any filler material... He lived it! Ha.

It's very specific to Fund Raising shows, but John Kaplans courses are really full of good info.

I find the Jim Snack info to be pretty basic. If you are just starting out in a field it's a good introduction, but not particularly in-depth. I bought most of his courses a few years back when he was having a deal.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8873 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I will have to disagree with you about John Pyka's release on 2/4 walling. I found it very basic, filler, and some empty promises. What ever happened to the promised updates, or his "upcoming Vegas Show", etc. I've lived in Vegas for years and was watching for this and it never happened. Unless you know nothing of the concept, this didn't offer much more than basic common knowledge. As much as he used to boast around here we haven't heard anything from him for years, including more about these types of endeavors from him.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I can understand that. It does have a good amount of filler... But I certainly think there is $10 worth of solid info.
He was pretty honest about his NYC run. He could have easily puffed that up to make it sound better.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7320 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another course for entertainers that seemed to be well-received was James Munton's "Zero to Booked Solid". The website still seems to be up, so maybe it's still available. It's an online course.

http://zerotobookedsolid.com/

Magic Café thread titled... Zero to Booked Solid in 30 Days Review?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
I am a member of Dean Hankeys and if anyone has a chance to learn from Dean do it. So helpful!!!! My course ends in September I will write more of a review
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I have found that I got a lot out of Samuel Patrick Smith's products on the business side of magic.
Scott Humston released a great product based on his audio course "booking yourself". The advice provided in this course is pretty straight forward but if you put in the work, you will get results.

https://www.kajabinext.com/marketplace/c......yourself
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of paw
Entertainer's Marketing Academy by Matt Fore is the best deal out today.

Check out the review in VANISH!

https://view.joomag.com/vanish-magic-mag......04743280

Pages 120-121
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
720 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
I will have to disagree with you about John Pyka's release on 2/4 walling. I found it very basic, filler, and some empty promises. What ever happened to the promised updates, or his "upcoming Vegas Show", etc. I've lived in Vegas for years and was watching for this and it never happened. Unless you know nothing of the concept, this didn't offer much more than basic common knowledge. As much as he used to boast around here we haven't heard anything from him for years, including more about these types of endeavors from him.

Mindpro - I have known John Pyka on a more personal level than most here will ever hope (or want) to have. He does have things going for him as far as advice goes (sometimes, sometimes it's all just hot air) but as far as that Vegas show - he's been promising it for almost 10 years now. It will probably never happen. Now if you ask why I don't have much nice to say about him as a person or a performer - I'll just say that I have seen him do some of the most immature things to younger magicians, he has personally thrown insults at me - to my face when I called him out on his bullying of 15 year olds. I have severed all communication from him both online and in life as well as those are my friends - his former friends.
You're probably never going to see that Vegas show he keeps promising - he is all talk and little action.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8873 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I realized that long ago about the Vegas show idea. Nothing surprising here as it is quite common with his type of performer hoping to come to Vegas. He is a worker and does have some insight into his little area of things. Most of it always seems like basic or surface advice, but for someone completely a beginner or with no knowledge it can be a starting point. He does however tend to over simplify things and pushes a "ya just gotta do it" position leaving much significant content lacking or missing (not to mention can be extremely dangerous in the 2/4 wall market). Also what works for him others may have problems with because he is a very outgoing, dynamics person, which many others may not be and therefore may not have the same results.

I will say one area he does speak well about is character development for those seeking a different and separate character than themselves. Since he comes from a theatrical background, he offers some decent info here likely helpful to kids performers or other character-driven performers.

As far as how he treats others, I have heard stories myself from others but never experienced it myself. There seems to be a lot of ego involved as a common thread from I've heard from others. Even as a producer, promoter and agency owner, I don't hear much about him anymore.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since he is not here posting it might not be so fair to talk about him personally. His book go for it, but since he is not here to defend himself I hope we can stay away from his personal attributes.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1606 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Huh. I haven't posted here in years and people are still talking about me. That's funny.
I did perform in Vegas in with Dixie Dooley, Christian Diamond and later Jeff McBride. But my career went in a different direction and I decided not to pursue funding a Vegas run. The economics just didn't make sense, especially with a family in Nashville that did not want to relocate.

As for How To Produce Your Own Theater Show - I never claimed it was definitive or exhaustive. It is a primer for someone with zero experience. I give the readers everything they need to have a solid starting place. But Bob Fitch endorsed it, so I guess I did something right. Just sayin'...

As for where I've been? I have my own theater show in Nashville based on my novel Tales From The Flip-Side, perform at comic cons all over the country, host The Dieselpunk Podcast, and am a regular at House of Cards in Nashville.


Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, thomasR wrote:
Some books on the subject that I own-

John Pyka's "Theatrical Magic Omnibus" has ALOT of great info about 2-walling and 4-walling shows, as well as putting theatrical shows together. The e-book is a steal at $9.99 on Amazon or Lybrary.

I have J. C. Sums "The Showbiz Master Plan" the e-book is $49 and I think it's over priced. Lots of filler material. Still some very good advice, and there is one point on writing out proposals that I haven't seen in any other plan that is pretty much worth the $50 to me.

"Illusion Show Business" and "Professional Secrets of Kramien" - get these!!! So much good info in here. Some is a bit dated but he really explains the business that he was in well. He doesn't need to add any filler material... He lived it! Ha.

It's very specific to Fund Raising shows, but John Kaplans courses are really full of good info.

I find the Jim Snack info to be pretty basic. If you are just starting out in a field it's a good introduction, but not particularly in-depth. I bought most of his courses a few years back when he was having a deal.


Thanks for the Kudos! Theatrical Magic Omnibus is back in print on Amazon and at Barnes & Noble for less than $20.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1606 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2017, ibm_usa wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
I will have to disagree with you about John Pyka's release on 2/4 walling. I found it very basic, filler, and some empty promises. What ever happened to the promised updates, or his "upcoming Vegas Show", etc. I've lived in Vegas for years and was watching for this and it never happened. Unless you know nothing of the concept, this didn't offer much more than basic common knowledge. As much as he used to boast around here we haven't heard anything from him for years, including more about these types of endeavors from him.

Mindpro - I have known John Pyka on a more personal level than most here will ever hope (or want) to have. He does have things going for him as far as advice goes (sometimes, sometimes it's all just hot air) but as far as that Vegas show - he's been promising it for almost 10 years now. It will probably never happen. Now if you ask why I don't have much nice to say about him as a person or a performer - I'll just say that I have seen him do some of the most immature things to younger magicians, he has personally thrown insults at me - to my face when I called him out on his bullying of 15 year olds. I have severed all communication from him both online and in life as well as those are my friends - his former friends.
You're probably never going to see that Vegas show he keeps promising - he is all talk and little action.


Actually, you don't know me at all. We've only 3 times at magic club meetings. You've never been to anything I've produced. You've never seen my show. You've never read my books. You only know what one other person told you to think. But thanks for playing.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » LIST: Top Courses for Growing Your Magic Business...Top 3 and more... (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL