The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Hey guys! If you have ever been interested in 2-walling and owning your own theater, David just added a 4-hour talk with me (split up into 2 sections) on how I did it, costly mistakes I've learned from, and general advice on the matter that I wish someone told me before I started...I'm hoping it will benefit someone out there! Here's an invitation video:

https://vimeo.com/240701230

(Video Password is "magicmasters")

Here's the link to sign up:

Don’t miss 30+ Free Presentations From More Than 26 Of The World's Experts Convening In One Place, With One Goal:
Elevate The Art Of Entertainment!
Registration is free, but you must register now!
http://magicmastersummit.com/2017?affiliate_id=848066
(Live event runs Nov 13-17) Smile
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
450 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Quote:
I do not see anything in he way of using music, and where to obtain and how to use music in an act to elevate it to a more professional level.

Great suggestion. I don't have anything on it this year since it's such a personal choice... however, I'll certainly keep this in mind for next year!

Thanks!

Dave
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
FYI everyone- day one is live now! It includes part 1 of my talk with Dave.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
Day 1 was great! Looking forward to my lecture next year: How I make 6 figures selling TTs to strangers in bars.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
thomasR
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of thomasR
This has been incredible so far this year.... True GOLD being given away.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Congratulations to Dave on another successful summit. I loved the production, look and feel of it this year, very nice. Hopefully it was well-attended and many found much great information and some useful and applicable advice to help in their own businesses. Such value for free or only a minimal investment in yourself and your business.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20171 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have to admit it was not so wonderful for me. Dave Womach's constant interruptions and taking the personality guest off topic and drifting away from what was the topic, was very annoying for me.

I took from it, Dave does not recognize that he is a success in his own right, and I really felt he was just trying to get information for himself, and not those that really need it.

His approach was totally different then last year's, and I felt, I was not getting the information the person was hoping to give.

I would have been interested in know how the promoter got to be a promoter, being he was a failure as a performer. With his attitude I don't see how he ever got anyone to work for him. I did catch, he is very difficult to get ahold of, and that may be his secret, as he is never available. The actual people that know how to talk to and treat people actually makes his business a success. Just did not like the guy, and his smirk he had throughout the interview.

This really missed the mark this year. Dave should have just done all the video topics himself.

Again, no props or examples to actually see. If Dave did not have those posters, we would have no examples of what they were talking about.

I once was invited to dinner by a famous magician. When I arrived, this guy I knew nothing about, or did not recognize him in any way, introduced himself and started talking. All through dinner, I was trying to converse with that actual person I was hoping to talk to. The other guy kept getting loud and interrupting with his nonsense. Long story short, I barely got to say hello to the actual person, and left with a lot opportunity.

This is how I felt with this years videos. So many lost opportunities to learn something I did not know previously.

Dave Womach, you are at the top of your career as a variety entertainer, I don't know what you consider as success, but I believe you have hit the top already.

Chance Wolf, why did you know turn off the camera and tell Chance, you would wait while he found the other working parts. Thinking about it, why didn't you do that with all of them. Again, they were totally not prepared for the interview.

If you want to know what the bottom looks like, get a job for a day at McDonald's.

I was so annoyed, I did not bother to watch, but 3 of them all the way through, most I gave up after half way.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
I sympathize with some of those comments, but on the whole I must disagree.

I didn't like every presenter. I wouldn't work with some of them at all. That's a useful thing to know about a person in my industry, if I didn't already. If you thought all or most of the presenters were unlikable people, then that's a real criticism of the coordination of the event. One or two that rub you the wrong way seems expected.

I also discovered some people I didn't know about (Zach Zimmerman!), and learned more about some who I only had a 'branded' image of in my head. (Michael Trixx! I'd seen his promos but would have never known that I would like to hang with him, until I saw his seminars) That's the treasure-hunt of these kinds of events, in my mind. The surprise gem makes up for the hyped let-down.

I agree that some of the presentations were loosely directed. I still found most of it to be valuable information even when it went off-topic. Dave isn't going to be a professional late-night host (At least not until he gets better at "to-doot to-doo"). That's not what I was looking for though. I liked the conversational nature of the presentations, even if I didn't like all the conversations. I had to turn off one interview because I disagreed with the way Dave was handling the topic and the things he was saying. So we have slightly different politics; That's ok. It was only one, out of dozens of presentations, and on the whole I'm comfortable learning from and watching anyone, even if we might not make great beer-buddies. I think you're asking for a very high-bar to be met, but I'll grant that if you were expecting solid and structured interviews, this isn't the series for you.

The thing I disagree with completely though, is your seeming resentfulness of David for wanting to improve his magic and career, just because you would be satisfied where he is now. I myself will never stop seeking new knowledge, sit back and tell myself "I've made it. This is the top." One of the most inspiring bits of this conference to me was hearing that sentiment explicitly affirmed over and over by not just working magicians, but highly respected magicians too. If Jeff McBride and Tony Clark are still improving, the top is a lot further than you're saying it is. I can not think of a single magician, or any artist, who is "at the top" and isn't working every day to get one step higher. I don't know what it must feel like to you, to not have that ambition and drive as an artist; but it feels like a case of sour grapes to me, for you to discourage others from embracing it.

I thank Dave, and all the people who presented, and those who worked behind the scenes. I left my day-jobs behind earlier this year to focus full-time on my magic business and starting a new theater company; This was just what I needed, at just the right time. I came away with a full notebook to dissect this weekend, a renewed enthusiasm for my work, and a bunch of real steps I can take right away to grow both my businesses. I already know the lecture I want to give, and set a goal that by applying everything I learned this week I'll be "successful" enough in a year or two that Dave will invite me.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I would have been interested in know how the promoter got to be a promoter, being he was a failure as a performer. With his attitude I don't see how he ever got anyone to work for him. I did catch, he is very difficult to get ahold of, and that may be his secret, as he is never available. The actual people that know how to talk to and treat people actually makes his business a success. Just did not like the guy, and his smirk he had throughout the interview.

Who was this Bill? Which interview was this? I didn't notice anything from a promoter. Perhaps I missed this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL