The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You will get out of it what you put into it. It is really simple.

Tim wants free stuff handed to him so his feelings are not hurt. Coaches don't usually hurt your feelings, but to be fair they want you to keep paying them now don't they?

Find a mentor and then try to tell him HOW he has to talk to you. Then tell him your opinion is just as valid as his. Laughable.

I guess it is a brave new world.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2016, Tim Friday wrote:

Doc Eason says "People won't remember what you do or say, but they will always remember how you made them feel." Or something to that effect, and this is flaw of the Café, members post with no regard to how it makes others feel.

[snip]

3) Rather than being a place of constructive help, the Café is a place of negative discourse, and this tone often ruins posts that could contain many pearls, remember Doc Eason's wise quote

I'm sure you realize that the quote didn't originate from him. It's a well-known quote, often attributed to Maya Angelou (although this article / research says otherwise).

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/04/06/they-feel/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wouldnt be so sure he knew.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I personally would like to hear what David himself thought of it all and how he thought it went?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't imagine the work that was involved.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2016, barts185 wrote:

For someone that doesn't want to watch ads, it seems odd that you chose ones which were very likely to be ads. Did you think that there wasn't going to be any attempt to generate revenue other than selling the set of videos which were free for 24 hours?

It's interesting that you would choose that to focus on. Actually, I picked them based on the title. To be sure, the ones that were most intriguing to me, given the limited time I had available, were probably the wrong choices.

I had forgotten that I also watched the one on daycare shows. I found that disappointing for a very specific reason, which I have posted elsewhere on this site.

In case anyone thinks that I object to the program based on your response, I would like to say that I found the project exceptionally well-produced. The effort that went into it (especially considering David's time constraints) is something that I would find exceptionally difficult to tackle. As an advertising vehicle for Mr. Ross, it should prove an effective lower-than-usual expense. I certainly don't object to his ads; I was simply disappointed that I found my time being taken by them while hoping for something else.

Dependent on how successful it ends up being, I can see this becoming either an annual event, or perhaps more effectively, an ongoing pay-per-view sort of series (along the lines of "At The Table" and other online lecture programs). Magicians are notoriously cheap. The price tag for the entire series will prevent many from buying, but give them one at a time for ten bucks a pop and I'd bet they'll be all over it. As long as they aren't paying for a two-hour commercial, I mean.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
In my opinion, the most effective model would have been if David had a course or seminar on developing your magic business. This product would be the product for sale. All the interviews should have been left up as free to operate as a lead generation funnel to drive people to buy his own product that is the seminar or course on growing your magic business.

As it is now, it has the "you get to look for one day then it is taken away" feel. Even if it had been one or two videos for free that included some of the best points from some of the presentations that we got to keep then you have to buy the rest, this would have been a more effective option. Or perhaps a more accurate wording would have been "free-one-day-trial", along these lines, why put it up for one day of the year only? Why are all the people who didn't hear about it until after the event left out? Why not give a free-one-day-trial to anyone when they sign up with their email? This would open it up to many more sales.

I believe the challenge David is up against with these type of videos is much of this information can be acquired for free from magic business podcasts. There are a number of magic business podcasts with similar interviews. The only difference is it is audio rather than video. So if you can get a very similar product for free why buy it?

Here is the video to watch if you want to learn more about giving a product for free, in case anyone here is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3MrwYPRB-I
Also watch the other videos this presenter makes on this topic such as "How Far Should I Move the Free Line?" and "Examples of Moving the Free Line" and "Lead With Your Best Stuff" they are all on youtube and easy to find if you use the link I posted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again you come in to teach and not learn. David obviously has a very effective business model. Why not just let him operate in his own way?

Maybe YOU can run one like you say and we can compare? That might help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Tim, you are completely missing the point of the Summit format and tool. Actually this was a "Summit-lite" in all actuality as it were a full summit, many here would be complaining even more, lol.

I agree many I've talked to or corresponded with felt a huge part was missing and yes, it was the part of creating, developing and establishing a proper entertainment or magic business. The fundamentals beginning with each step in the process.

Also it was too magic-y as it could have better served other variety or novelty performers (the text stated this, but more could have been offered in this vein)

All of them I've participated in or hosted followed a very similar format to this (with one exception.) They all had content up for only the one day with the full package available at the end.

Again with the Eben Pagan stuff! Are you a groupie? Affiliate?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I do agree with Tim on this point - the summit interviews were basically podcasts. For me, I watched what I could for free. There are a few I would pay $5-10 a piece to download that I missed. But no way do I feel $197 is worth it, especially considering a few of the videos were just pitches.

I hope I don't sound cheap saying that. I enjoyed it over all, and realize a lot of work went into it.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why not just let him operate in his own way?

If you look back, you will see that feedback was requested. I'm sure it would not have been asked for if he didn't care what people thought of it.

Hopefully, this will not be the only source used to gauge the success of the program. The biggest factor should, of course, be how many people bought the package deal. If it isn't worthwhile, other ideas, including some here, might want to be tried to improve both sales and function rather than scrapping the whole thing. If it is considered a financial success, probably little should change if it is to be again. Maybe some thoughts that are retrieved here and elsewhere can keep it fresh while maintaining what made it a hit.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
I can't imagine the work that was involved.

During at least one of the talks, or maybe in an email, David said that he spent more than 400 hours putting this event together.

- Donald
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
I can't imagine the work involved.

During at least one of the talks, or maybe in an email, David said that he spent more than 400 hours putting this event together.

- Donald

Yep I was right. I COULD NOT IMAGINE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I also seen no reason why this was on video, as there was not visual elements to any of the videos I watched.

The guest should have had the questions previously given to them, so they could have had time to think about them and maybe they could have stayed on point, and not repeat themselves so much, as with Murray.

I would have liked to hear more about, when Sean Farquhar said, the does a 35 minute show, and 45 minute pitch for his back of the room products. That sounded way out there, and how the cruise lines thought about it.

2 hours is along time to just listen to someone talk, without any hook statements and visual aids.

The one on 2 walling was the best of the all of them, Bill Gladwell did not try to hide his methods or techniques at the whole business procedure. It was so interesting that I watched it 4 times.

The Bronson magician illusionist was the most impressive, his name started with a F_z_, can't remember, but you one could tell how knowledgeable he was in the business end of selling his shows. Accumulating the necessary funds and using it wisely. He also sounded like he works very hard, and must never sleeps, with the list of things he does. He did it the classic way, went to work for magicians in Bronson and leaned all he could, then went out on his own. This is the guy to learn from if he ever wants to share or publish anything.

All you members that are complaining about the price of $197, remember that is only until the end of the month, then it will be $297.

I can't knock any of the performers for not spilling the beans, as they say. It is their business they have worked hard to develop.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Yes, I suppose it would have been just as valuable on audio, but the video added a nice feel, I think. We can more readily relate to the smiles and body language. Since the cost of video (tablet or phone) is no higher than audio these days, I think it's a nice touch. You and I are both probably from the days of seminar-on-cassette, right? Somewhere there are likely still old cars I've had with tapes jammed deep in the seats.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I would have liked to hear more about, when Sean Farquhar said, the does a 35 minute show, and 45 minute pitch for his back of the room products. That sounded way out there, and how the cruise lines thought about it.

I'm pretty sure you heard this incorrectly. I know I heard something different during Shawn's talk.

- Donald
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
The one on 2 walling was the best of the all of them, Bill Gladwell did not try to hide his methods or techniques at the whole business procedure. It was so interesting that I watched it 4 times.

The Bronson magician illusionist was the most impressive, his name started with a F_z_, can't remember, but you one could tell how knowledgeable he was in the business end of selling his shows. Accumulating the necessary funds and using it wisely. He also sounded like he works very hard, and must never sleeps, with the list of things he does. He did it the classic way, went to work for magicians in Bronson and leaned all he could, then went out on his own. This is the guy to learn from if he ever wants to share or publish anything.

I agree... Bill Gladwell had the best and didn't hide anything. That was refreshing. This was tied with Josh Knotts on Fairs and Festivals. He talked real numbers and also told us exactly how to get into the fair and festival market. I'm not sure he had enough info to NEED to take up 2 presentations.. but the info was solid and he was very open to sharing the real techniques to getting into the fair market.

The illusionist you are thinking of is Reza. I agree... it sounds like he works very hard. He also was very honest about money being difficult when he expanded his show too quickly with sound and lights. I liked it when David asked him "well what did you do?" and he responded "I just had to push on through." - THAT'S the secret... make a mistake, lose big money even, but keep on pushing through.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
when Sean Farquhar said, the does a 35 minute show, and 45 minute pitch for his back of the room products.

I'm pretty sure you heard this incorrectly. I know I heard something different during Shawn's talk.
- Donald

Yeah, I think he was talking about the line to meet the audience and sell product was 45 minutes. I'm sure that's true since he projects an image of a guy who you WANT to shake hands with. At the very least, you feel compelled to say, "Great show!" and since you're already in line, why not buy something for him to sign?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, thomasR wrote:
Quote:

The illusionist you are thinking of is Reza. I agree... it sounds like he works very hard. He also was very honest about money being difficult when he expanded his show too quickly with sound and lights. I liked it when David asked him "well what did you do?" and he responded "I just had to push on through." - THAT'S the secret... make a mistake, lose big money even, but keep on pushing through.

Which works GREAT when you have a family who will give you money to keep pushing through. What do you do when you DON'T have that? This is what most guys want to know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Which works GREAT when you have a family who will give you money to keep pushing through. What do you do when you DON'T have that? This is what most guys want to know.

Well, you could learn grant writing, I suppose. Magic is an art now, right? The government said so, so it must be true!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL