The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What are the rights we have when filming magic on the streets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
Hi, I would like to ask about the laws we have to obey when we film ourselves performing on the streets. If we want to use the footage on youtube, what should we tell them and have them agree to it so we have full rights of the footage? and if we want to use the footage for commercial use(for instance, feature it inside a magic dvd), we do we need to have them agree to? Thanks for the help.
p.s. I know the laws differ from country to country, but a general idea will be fine.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Tje laws really differ from country to country and in the USA from state to state. Where are you
ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
Usually if you film in a public place you don't need permission, I would still ask people before recording them, just to be polite.
Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
I'm currently filming in Melbourne, Australia. Does anyone know about the laws here? Or can anyone elaborate more on the laws of a particular country or state you are in, I know it can be different but I can still kind of get the idea. Thanks.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Ebackes88 is right as far as the state's go. As long as you are in public your pretty good
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
It can never hurt to have them sign a waiver release to be filmed. You can find video releases doing a simple search on Google. With this type of written, signed contract you are most definitely safe using your video. And yes. Always do ask before filming.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
Definitely ask. Waivers are the safest bet. If you can, at least get them to say on camera that they're okay with the videotaping. You don't need to use that footage, but just have it in case you need it.
fabio_barstar
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of fabio_barstar
It also depends on what you will do with video...if you use it on youtube you might be ok,ask to spectators just to be polite...it's like an editorial.Instead if you use your video for selling a product,a dvd or also your image it's better to fill a model release,you can find ready to use form on internet, like the ones used for commercial photography and videography.
I'm a stock photographer,so I know what I'm talking about. If you use your video for commercial purposes you have ABSOLUTELY to fill a model release.Doesn't matter if you are in public or studio.Doesn't matter if they say ok, words have no legal value.You can use something like that: http://www.creativephotobook.co.uk/ModelReleaseForm.pdf. And also you need a property release if you are shooting in a private property.
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
Great info, fabio.
I usually only ask them to say on camera they consented for this footage to be release to the public.
But if its for commercial purpose its best to have a Waiver to safeguard yourself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What are the rights we have when filming magic on the streets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL