The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Key-Rect. Available again. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
One for the mentalists among us.

Long unavailable, the classic Key-Rect was one of the strongest mentalism routines that you'll ever perform! Max Maven caused a stir when he performed this on national television, causing a resurgence of interest in this mentalism effect!

A spectator is given a lock and 4 keys to examine thoroughly. He finds that none of the keys will open the padlock. A fifth key is brought out. The lock can be opened only with this one key. The lock is then fastened to his buttonhole and the rest of the keys are mixed up and given to other spectators. Yet, the performer can instantly divine which is the key that will open the lock.

Moreover, you can do it with the keys sealed inside separate envelopes; there are no marking systems required. In fact, if the performer so desires, he can actually have the spectator divine the correct key and he will always be correct!

Key-Rect is a precision made piece of equipment that will stand the toughest scrutiny and examination. You'll be thrilled over this clever idea. Comes with high-quality precision-manufactured Master lock and keys.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=36679
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
How does this compare to Correct Key? I currently use Correct Key, and I can't find a Supalok. I would like something with keys that look more normal than Correct Key.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Is this worth getting or would one recommend hunting Supalok down which is more expensive when it does pop up?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
With Mick Hanzlik's passing some months ago, one is not likely to find an available Supalok popping up. Paul McCaig, at the Psychic Mentality website, used to market the Supalok (and also the Grismer locks) that Mick made. Their site still does not show that anyone else is yet making the Supalok again.

As I recall, the well-known lock that has been off the market for some years was called "Key-R-Rect." Does anyone know if the "Key-Rect" that is now out is in fact the same lock?

George
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I used to have a "Key-R-Rect" and it looked the same except for the blue band around the lock.

Robert
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, George Hunter wrote:
With Mick Hanzlik's passing some months ago, one is not likely to find an available Supalok popping up.

.... and there are two options for sale right now!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I have a large supalok and it's awesome.

It sounds like Key-r-Rect is very similar and it availability is great news.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have the original Key-R-Rect from many years ago. Looking at the reference on Hocus-Pocus website, the other difference is the keys. The keys provided with the original is a product of the time it was in history. Over the years things do change, and the original had long keys, with wide teeth cuts. It looked like the most keys for heavy duty locks. I had similar keys for my bicycle lock.

I don't really see that they would lead anything or distract from a presentation in any way. If you need a reason, I just say it is your childhood lock, or you duffle bag lock from Military Service, or you grandfather lock, as all the keys are shown to not open the lock, and only one does open the lock.

The late great Roy Johnson from England published a great routine in one of his early books. Many since have adapted the routine. Roy Johnson did not use a prepared lock or keys. He was a brilliant creative magician.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I just purchased Keyrect. I will give a comparison to Correct Key after I receive it. The issue I have with Correct Key is that the keys look odd because of the old style long, skinny teeth. I've also had Correct Key open prematurely twice. I can't wait to see the difference.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Just watched Max Maven do this on "Max Maven - A Fabulous Monster" - a documentary about his life that's available for rent or purchase on the Internet.

He does it at a performance near the end of the film using five spectators. He asks one of the spectators - whoever thinks he or she has the key that opens the lock - to stand up.

It's a wonderful routine. Definitely worth watching.

Robert
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Is this hands off after the inspection phase?Please PM if this borders on exposure.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Robert M wrote:
Just watched Max Maven do this on "Max Maven - A Fabulous Monster" - a documentary about his life that's available for rent or purchase on the Internet.

He does it at a performance near the end of the film using five spectators. He asks one of the spectators - whoever thinks he or she has the key that opens the lock - to stand up.

It's a wonderful routine. Definitely worth watching.

Robert

What is the purpose of opening the lock?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Max has never released this routine, so discussing it here is extremely poor form.
Stealthmode
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Stealthmode
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, the Sponge wrote:
Max has never released this routine, so discussing it here is extremely poor form.

I can't see a rule about forbidding discussion of an effect performed on television or theatre. Link me up!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Max's routine isn't available, but there are plenty of 7 keys routines available and gimmicked locks available. I just purchased a Supalok and a Key Rect. I own a Correct Key, but will most likely be selling it now.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I inquired with Hocus Pocus before placing an order. The new Key-Rect uses normal keys and the non-master keys do not rotate like Correct Key.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Sounds great! I ordered this earlier this week and I bought a brand new, unopened Supalok today.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I was going to buy this but I have The Mystic Key and it works on the same general principle so I'm just going to dust off my door version and have fun with it again. But looks like a great effect I do like the pad lock look.

Good magic to all,

Eric
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Is The Mystic Key a gravity lock?
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Will this be available at other retailers, or is this a Hocus Pocus exclusive?

@twistedace: I would appreciate a comparison between this and Supalok once you receive both. PM if necessary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Key-Rect. Available again. (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL